General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie just signed up for 1st Tri (oly) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-03 10:10 PM

Austin
Subject: Newbie just signed up for 1st Tri (oly)
Per advice from some in the "Newbie"/FNG area, I'm posting this here too.  I've been lurking for a few months now, and have finally pulled the trigger on my first tri. Austin,TX -- CapTexTri, next Memorial Day. I'm fired up for it for sure! I am planning to go and do a sprint distance, and watch a tri or two to get aquainted.  Any pointers for someone with a somewhat limited and a surely erratic training schedule? I'm on the road atleast 4 days a week, sometimes 5. Home 2-3 days a week. I can run on the road and lift (usually). Not really able to swim or ride obviously. Thanks in advance!

2010-10-04 3:38 AM
in reply to: #3130936

User image

On your right
Subject: RE: Newbie just signed up for 1st Tri (oly)

First off, good luck with your training and racing.

Ok, now why can't you swim on the road?  You can't stay at a hotel with a pool?  Even getting in some time in the water in a short hotel pool is better than no swimming.

If your travel keeps you fairly local, you could take your bike and a trainer and get in some riding in your hotel room, or even on a stationary bike at a hotel gym would be better than no biking.

Also, depending on what your tri goals are, you may want to consider limiting, or totally eliminating the weight training.  If you have limited time to prep for s/b/r, why take some of that time away for something that isn't specific to racing?  Now if you're looking to do this for a bucket list, or maybe a once or twice a year thing, I think it won't matter too much if you keep the weight training up.

2010-10-04 4:46 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Someone will know the name of it........but, there's a website dedicated to locating pools for people on the road.  I've used it several times.  The information is extremely accurate.  And, I've never traveled anywhere I couldn't find a pool to swim in....within a reasonable distance.

Pretty sure I just typed "find a swimming pool" into my browser.

2010-10-04 8:17 AM

User image

Melon Presser
You can also get a setup like SwimCords so you can train in a pool no matter how small it is.

Agree with the folks above--you CAN fit in swimming and cycling, it's just a matter of how.

You might want to look at the Oly training plan called Balanced Lifestyle--it's for folks who have a lot of time constraints.

Good luck!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie just signed up for 1st Tri (oly) Rss Feed