General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Community Training Program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-19 7:59 AM

Kansas City
Subject: Community Training Program
I am the director of community education at a small liberal arts college just outside of a major city. Since I've decided I want to train for a triathlon myself, I thought that maybe others in the community would be interested in taking a non-credit course on "Preparing For Your First Triathlon". We have weightrooms, tracks, cross-country tracks, indoor pool and classrooms. The participants would need to have their own bike, but that shouldn't really be a problem.

If you were going to set up a 15 week (?) program like this, how would you structure it? Those of you who have done a race or who have taken some instruction I WANT TO HEA FROM YOU! I'm working toward beginning the course in January.

T

2003-09-19 9:14 AM
in reply to: #887

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: sounds great!

what a great idea...i had the thought that high schools should offer something like this too.

anyways, some of my initial thoughts (more to come probably):

1. definitely do not gear it for one to actually run his/her first tri in 15 weeks.  i am sure that some people with certain athletic backgrounds could do it, but most probably won't.  it would be unsafe and injury-prone.  although if one has a few of those 'mini sprints' in your area, that may be an attainable goal for the majority - safely.
  2. a few crucial classes early on would be to assess and establish each individuals prior fitness levels (and get doctors permission).  then determine goals, the distance for your first tri, and a time frame to safely establish a base before going into your final 8-13 week pre-race program.  this will be different for each individual.
  3. need a way to monitor the progress of your class as individuals towards attaining goals.  I CAN HELP U WITH THAT JONES T!  just be back at the board after october 1st.  (people, if your paying attention, i just gave away a major hint for i'm giddy like a little kid...  )

A few class topics off the top of my head:

• history of tri
  • personal and goal assesment
  • establishing your base training
  • importance of weight triaining
  • take a weekend class trip to see a live triathlon
  • training/race gear, importance of great shoes.
  • t1/t2 
  • injury prevention, common injuries
  • race rules
  • a mock 'race day' class - learn how to set-up t1/t2, what to bring, what to wear, uncertainties to prepare for, etc.
  • basic cycling maintenance - get down and dirty - how to fix a de-railed chain, how to patch/fix a blown tire.  depending on your class size, it WILL happen to at least one of them.  brake adjustments and more - bring in a local bike shop mechanic - they should spring at that opportunity.
  • nutrition - depending on a persons goals.

thats a few for now....i am sure others will have a lot more and better ideas.

2003-09-19 11:50 AM
in reply to: #889

Kansas City
Subject: RE: sounds great!
Ron, thanks for the info and PLEASE let me know if you think of anything else I might want to include in this program. I'm very serious about this and have seen nothing else even remotely like what I'm trying to do. I know established Tri clubs have some training events, lectures etc., but I really want something for a beginner. We have soooo many questions and want a comfortable place to ask them.

Keep those suggestions coming!

TJ
2003-09-19 3:41 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Community Training Program
Ron covered alot, but if you can get a sports psyc. to come in and speak on the mental aspect of the sport especially the swim. Many veterans find that the swim gives them a lot of problems.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-10-09 4:08 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: triathlon course
is that course taking shape yet?
2003-10-13 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1138

Kansas City
Subject: RE: triathlon course
I am currently working on getting this course scheduled. Since I will be using so much of the athletic department's facility, I need to make sure they are behind me. I've just contacted the Chair of that department and have outlined my intentions to him. I look forward to full cooperation, but you never know.

I plan on having one person who is very knowledgable to be the main class "instructor", but will bring in others depending on the topic. I especially liked Michael's suggestion to have a sports psychologist speak. We have a very well known sports psychologist who works with 3 or 4 professional football teams on our staff. He's also a good friend so I plan on hitting him up to do a session.

We have a couple of Triathlons in the area in late Aug and Sept. that I am hoping this will prepare folks for.

Please send on any other thoughts as you have them. This is very much a work in progress.

TJ

2003-11-05 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1182

Kansas City
Okay, I think I have a coordinator for my Triathlon program. He's been doing tris for quite a while and is excited about working with me. We've discused some of the areas that you suggested, Ron, and I think this program is coming together. We are going to meet on Tuesday evenings for an hour and a half beginning in February.

My question now is how should I price this program? I should be able to get a lot of speakers to present without charge, but I need to pay my coordinator and make money for my department as well. What would you be willing to pay for a 14 week program?
2003-11-05 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1588

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2003-11-06 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1588

Champion
Gold member

how often are u meeting per week and for what time period?  if you need to make money for your department...then u may have to treat it just like any other course - $$$/credit hour.  would this be reasonable to pay for a class x hours long...it may seem pricey that way though...UNLESS u don't have to meet the general college credit hour pricing???

and also...i forgot...is this open to people that r not registered for school (anybody)?  or just registered students...would students want credit for it?

maybe compare it to the price per hour of several different types of personal trainers at various gyms in your area.

2003-11-06 5:27 PM

Walla Walla, WA
yeah, I took a class at my school that is almost excatly what you're discribing. We would meet once a week for an hour. Our tracher, Lars, was a very experienced Ironman triathlete, and he had tons of knowledge and experience. We would generaly talk for the first few minutes of class, and then do a work out of some sort. We were responsible for at least 3 hours of working out per week, two of which had to be donw ouside class. We had to log our workouts, and lars would check them off. Our class was structured around preparing for the sprint distance traiathlon that happens here at school every spring (500 yard swim, 12 mile bike, 5 k run.) I'd actually disagree with Ron in that I believe that most people can prepare for this distance of triathlon one semester (unless a mini-sprint is the same as a regular sprint...in which case we are in perfect agreement). I'm not saying that everyone can prepare to RACE in a triathlon in only 15 weeks, of course not, but most people can complete one if given enough time.
We discussed most of the things that Ron mentioned. We also did a spinning class, and talked about other ways you can train off season (when the weather is shitty). Lars stressed that it was important for you to learn how to do the swim so it doesn't wipe you out for the rest of the race. That means practicing both freestyle and a backup/recovery stroke (like backstroke, breststroke, or sidestroke). Another thing that I found very helpful was a day when we practiced our T2. We ran one lap around the gym, then came in and changed to the bike and biked two laps, then switched back to the run for a lap, etc. It was a great way to practice this crucial transitiion, and with a heart rate that would mirror a race situation. Good luck! Oh, and as far as the money goes....charge as little as possible. Make your money for the school, but don't go paying 10 people to come give lectures. You should be able to convince plenty of people to come talk for free.
-S
2003-11-07 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1621

Champion
Gold member
i do agree with u sirsam, i guess i'm being extra cautious in that statement to 'not gear up for a tri in one semester - being a community college, i am totally assuming that a lot of the 'students' will be the after work student, family type person, mom going back to school type with a lot less athleteic background, older etc...than a typical college where most r on target with weight and are active 18-25 year olds.  i could be totally wrong.  maybe jones t can fill i the demographics of his students.  OR perhaps a program like this will ONLY attract athlete types?  in that case and yours, yeah one could train for a sprint in a semester no problem.  also good call on being responsible for x-hours of workouts per week.

2003-11-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1628

Kansas City
I am at a 4-year institution, and while I'm definitely marketing this to our traditional "day", residential students, I'm also advertising to the community. As a matter of fact, I believe I'll get more community people. This is not going to be a credit class so I'm not bound by a per credit hour price, but the amount I'm tossing around is $235. This is $30 more than our credit hour price of $205. I need to pay my coordinator as well as guest speakers. I'm not looking to make a huge amount of money (although that would be nice , but do need to contribute positively to my department.

Since the facility I will be using has a 25 meter pool as well as an indoor track, I would like to offer a special facilities center price to anyone who needs a place to train. This would be in addition to the course fee, but about half the cost of a per semester membership.

I hope to get all levels of fitness in this class, but most will probably be in pretty good shape.

Please, everyone, let me know your thoughts about this program as you read this thread. This is still very much a work in progress and I would love it to be a model that others could use in the future.

TJ
2004-01-07 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1630

Kansas City
Well everyone, not so good news in the planning for a training program in my area. I was told just before the holidays in December that my position is being eliminated at the college. All programs planned for the spring had to be scrapped including the Triathlon Training. I had to notify all instructors and stop presses immediately on advertising.

This is all pretty sad to me. I knew we were having difficulty at the school and drastic cost-cutting measures were being taken, but I thought all personel cuts had been made. I just hate to see the College cut out practically everything that is not strictly academic.

On the up side, I am excited about the future. I have had a great job for over 20 years at a top-notch institution, but now have the opportunity to try my hand at something else and meet new people. I AM going to try to stay in education and, hopefully, will be able to offer a program in Triathlon somewhere else.

I have enlisted my sister to work with me towards our first Triathlon this summer so don't count me out! I'll still be checking in.
2004-01-07 2:40 PM

Expert
New Port Richey
Sorry to hear about the job loss and the elimination of the class you worked so hard for. On the bright side until you find a new position you do have more time to train
2004-01-07 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3336

Central Louisiana
It's never easy under any circumstance to lose you job! Hang in there and things will work out. Sounds like you have a positive attitude and that will go along way.

2004-01-07 5:54 PM
in reply to: #3336

Champion
Gold member
so sorry to hear.  BUT like u said, is a new and exciting beginning...best of luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Community Training Program Rss Feed