Butler-Freeport Trail Council
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 41s
Overall Rank = 233/541
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 28/45
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, ate 3 pancakes with syrup and a gatorade and drove the 20 mins to the race.
Event warmup:

Easy 500 yard jog
Run
  • 1h 52m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

My first half. I keep getting killed on the run in my tris so I decided to go head first after my running by making this half an A race for me.

I run by RPE, started easy and just started picking it up little by little. Finally at mile 9 I really began to increase my effort and ran what turned out to be about as good a race as I could have hoped for. I wound up passing probably 15-20 people a mile from mile 3 on and I was passed by 2 people over that time. Then me and another guy sprinted all out the last 250 yards and passed about 7 people, but I just couldn't get by him. Overall, I had a great time. My 5K time projected a 1:59:xx half mary and I went 7 mins under that, thanks in part to the course and weather.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing in the actual race. Even though I did well, compared to most people that would focus on a half, I was comparatively undertrained. I look back at my training logs, which are accurate, and I only ran just over 100 miles total in August and September. I have never been a runner and and started January at 287#. Started running and tri training in May, I have dropped 60#, and for a 6'5" 227# clyde, I was just tickled with my performance today.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, ate some pizza, and won a $50 gift certificate for Dick's in the raffle at the end.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Work did not work out so well with my training, so I went with what I had. I made sure to run within my fitness at the beginning. I was at a conversational pace through mile 9 and I was passing people who were really huffing and puffing by mile 4, so I think my RPE plan worked out perfectly.

Event comments:

Good race, well run, and a good time.

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:41 | 13.1 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/45
Overall: 233/541
Performance: Good
My time is the gun time. Took me 16 seconds to get to the start line. First mile was 9:15 gun time, fastest mile was 8:20.
Course: Course is down grade the whole way, over 800' of descent on a crushed limestone rails to trails trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes