Streamline Events
46F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 18s
Overall Rank = 5/386
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/26
Pre-race routine:

Up around 5:20, had breakfast of cereal with fruit & OJ. My wife, who was doing her first multisport event, and I left around 6:10.

Had to park at a commuter rail station 1.5 miles from start and bike - it was chilly - in the low 40's
Event warmup:

Set up transition and went for a light 3/4 mile jog to warm up. My legs, which were sore from swimming earlier in the week, felt great.
Run
  • 11m 48s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Wave went out very fast - expecting more like a 6:10 pace, but sub 6 was actually slower than most - I don't think it was quite 2 miles.
What would you do differently?:

I think I could have even gone a little harder and tried to stick with the lead group from my wave.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Half of transition area was on gravel, and guess which half my bike was on?

I thought that running in socks (with temps in the low 40's I decided to not go sockless) would suck on the gravel, but it wasn't all that bad.

My transition time was only about 10 seconds off the top time, and I bet that person didn't have to run about 150 feet over gravel!

Nothin'
Bike
  • 25m 35s
  • 10.3 miles
  • 24.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I wish that I'd been training with power, because I know I could have gone harder, and was basing my effort on HR and previous rides. I was only 20 seconds off the overall top bike time, and that would have been sweet to have.

Biking is definitely my strongest leg, and I know that it was the area where I could make up the most time.

I came in 4th in my AG in a race back in August. The guy that won my AG was racing in this race, and I saw him in the parking lot with a brand new Trek SC with sparkling ZIPP wheels. I knew he was a strong runner and needed to do well in the bike to beat him. He ended up coming in 2nd in my AG, and I gained over 4 minutes on the bike over him, able to hold off his strong run by just 23 seconds - I'm quite proud of that accomplishment. Now, to work on the running.....

Wind was a factor in the bike leg. Part of the course was along the ocean, and there were some pretty gusty areas, and one stretch where there was a pretty strong headwind.

Train and race with power!

I ordered a PT to train on over the winter - I should be getting it by Nov 1
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Again, about 10-12 seconds off the fastest time. A little room for improvement here.
Run
  • 14m 50s
  • 2.3 miles
  • 06m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Was passed by one runner and passed only one guy, but there were only a few guys ahead of me by this point. Felt pretty good and held a good pace. Once I could hear the PA and the band I kicked into high gear. There was a runner about 100 yards back of me, but I held him off. HR wasn't as high as I expected, but maybe that shows that I'm getting in better shape. I still feel that I could have gone faster.

More run training. I've been averaging around 20 mpw this summer and fall. My goal for this time next year is to run a qualifying time for the Boston Marathon. That means upping my run volume over the winter, so that by spring time I'm consistently running 30+ mpw.
Post race
Warm down:

HR was down to 125 in less than a min, showing me that I left a little out on the course. However, I'm pleased with my first AG win, and 5th overall isn't all that bad. I even beat two 'Elite' men.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and a few little injuries that I've had over the past month.

Event comments:

Enjoyed the duathlon, as swimming is my weakest discipline. Now, over the winter I need to bring my swimming up to par with biking and running.

My wife also became a multisport racer today. She finished 6th in her AG and had a smile on her face. Now, if she'd only enjoy swimming...

Last updated: 2010-07-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:11:48 | 02 miles | 05m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/26
Overall: 34/386
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 171
Course: First mile slightly downhill, then second slightly back uphill in a loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:25:35 | 10.3 miles | 24.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/26
Overall: 3/386
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 160
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Course was mostly rolling hills with only one section where I got out of the saddle and on the bull horns. Wind was definitely a factor as part of the course was right along the water. Forecast was for wind gusts of 20+, and that definitely slowed me in some parts.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:14:50 | 02.3 miles | 06m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/26
Overall: 13/386
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 168
Course: Another different loop, and again the last part of the run seemed to be uphill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes