Eident Sports Marketing
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 26m 52s
Overall Rank = 619/1006
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 403/563
Pre-race routine:

Woke up really early at 4AM. Had a bowl of cereal, and a hard-boiled egg. I found out later that this would not be enough. Left the house at 5, and headed to Newport, RI. Got there at around 6, and had to take a bus to the start/finish line.
Event warmup:

We got the the race at around 6:30AM, and had a hour and a half to kill. It was quite cold at that time, and being down by the water, made it windy, and extra cold. We pretty much waited in the registration building until 7:30, then went outside to check in our bag, and start to stretch.
Run
  • 4h 26m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out a little to fast, but I thought I could handle this pace. I was wrong! The first half the the marathon I felt good. I stopped at a couple of the water stops to walk and grab a drink. When I got to around mile 17 and 18, by calves, and quads really started to cramp up. When I got to mile 21, I had to start walking. My calves,and quads were so tight, they were yelling at me! I thought I was going to go into charlie horse mode at every step. Every hill I encountered, I had to walk up. At this point I had to combine walking and running for the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

IF I do another Marathon, I will certainly start out slower. I will also hydrate better, though I thought I drank plenty of water and gaterade.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm-down didn't go that great at all. Now for the bad part of the race. It actually came when I was done and standing around after. I felt like my calves or quads were going to go into charlie horse mode
x10 any second. I saw a golf cart to the right of me and asked if I could sit for a minute. As soon as I sat my right calf went into a extreme cramp and it was very painful. The lady suggested I go the get a massage. While I was in line waiting, I felt both of my arms and hands go numb, and I felt really light headed. I knew I was in trouble and headed for the Med-tent. As soon as I got there and they laided me down things got bad. To make a long story short, they hooked me up to a IV, oxygen in my nose, electrodes all over my body, and a blood pressure thing on my arm. I was sweating like crazy, then freezing the next. Really bad experience for my first full Marathon. I was extremely dehydrated, but I drank tons of water the days leading up to the race, and during the race. I guess my body retaliated, and said what the hell did you do to me. Well, I'm much better now, and have learned my lesson. I won't be running another marathon anytime soon

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe just the hills.

Event comments:

Well all in all for my first Marathon, I'd say I did well for myself. It's been a really hard road to get here. I've only been running for a year and 8 months, and have come this far is awesome. The 18 weeks of training did me good, and prepared me for the 26.2 miles. I just didn't expect to be in the Med-tent after. I think If I had slowed down a bit in the beginning, and hydrated better, it could have been avoided. It really was a great first marathon experience, except the end. The weather was just perfect, along with the great views.

Last updated: 2010-03-11 12:00 AM
Running
04:26:52 | 26.2 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 403/563
Overall: 619/1006
Performance: Good
9:36, 9:08, 9:30, 9:17, 9:26, 9:35, 9:22, 9:23, 9:45, 9:52, 9:44, 9:54, 9:26, 9:44, 9:36, 9:26, 9:41, 10:10, 10:24, 10:06, 10:09, 11:28, 11:58, 10:21, 13:19, 11:25
Course: As you can see from the lap data, I started out a little to fast. Lesson learned for my first marathon. The course was hilly, especially the second half.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes