General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wait a min, am I doing it wrong (swimming) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-17 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: Wait a min, am I doing it wrong (swimming)
Ok so I'm reading Total Immersion, I'm not that far into it, but got to this sentence and think I may have been swimming wrong. Haven't been in the pool a while to check, but here is what it says in regards to rolling from side to side.

"It becomes a series of long glides linked by quick rolls as you stroke and change sides. Each time, your body has a working side--the one your pulling with--and a sliding side--the one that's making your body longer so the pull delivers all the speed and distance it can."

So does this mean that if I'm pulling with my right arm I should be rolled to my left side?

The way I have been doing it was that when I pull with my right it would be the side I'm rolled to, but now that I think about it, that would make that shoulder dig that much more down into the water.

So have I been doing it wrong? Sounds like it.

2010-11-17 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3215031

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: Wait a min, am I doing it wrong (swimming)
I am a visual learner and I really relied on the free videos of TI that you can find on the internet to capture the motion of the swim stroke.

For me, it really came together when I focused on starting the hip rotation before the arm pull.
2010-11-17 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco
yeah other way around. you are losing a ton of power not stroking it right.
2010-11-17 12:11 PM

User image

Pro
cstoulil - 2010-11-17 12:49 PM Ok so I'm reading Total Immersion, I'm not that far into it, but got to this sentence and think I may have been swimming wrong. Haven't been in the pool a while to check, but here is what it says in regards to rolling from side to side.

"It becomes a series of long glides linked by quick rolls as you stroke and change sides. Each time, your body has a working side--the one your pulling with--and a sliding side--the one that's making your body longer so the pull delivers all the speed and distance it can."

So does this mean that if I'm pulling with my right arm I should be rolled to my left side?

The way I have been doing it was that when I pull with my right it would be the side I'm rolled to, but now that I think about it, that would make that shoulder dig that much more down into the water.

When I start my stroke with my right arm (right arm fully extended) I'm on my right side. As I pull, I also rotate my body so that I end up on my left side with left arm extended when I finish the stroke with my right arm.

This video shows the rotation pretty clearly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AInQMmn-0Nw&feature=related
2010-11-17 12:17 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Wow!  I've been doing wrong all along as well!!!
2010-11-17 12:50 PM

New user

No, I think you are doing it correctly, if I understand your description. In TI (and really any swimming style that has any rotation to it), WHEN YOU ARE PULLING with your right arm, that is when you are ACTUALLY PROPELLING with your right arm, you will be rotated such that your right side is lowest in the water - at the mid-point of the stroke, that is. When your right arm is finishing its propulsion, and exiting the water, however, you will be rotating towards the left side for your glide. So, in the most propulsive part of your right arm pull, your right shoulder will be essentially at its lowest point relative to the surface of the water.

So in TI terms, you will "pull with your right", THEN "slide on your left", not "pull with your right" WHILE "sliding on your left".

r.b.

2010-11-17 1:05 PM

Las Vegas
When you bring your hands down toward your hip you should be able to feel the water pushing against it (your hand brings this water down towards your hip) when you feel that rotate with the push. Easiest way to get the feel of the rotation.

You can work on it by doing a modified catch-up drill when you pull through do a six beat pause completely on your side and just work on timing for the rotation through the drill. I call it open hip catch-up
2010-11-17 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3215078

Regular
Boogie7247 - 2010-11-17 10:09 AM yeah other way around. you are losing a ton of power not stroking it right.

That's what she said.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wait a min, am I doing it wrong (swimming) Rss Feed