General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Albany anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-02 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: Albany anyone?
Anyone in the Albany area? I'd like to meet some fellow triathletes in this area. Haven't been too impressed in the people I've met thus far.

2010-12-09 6:10 AM
in reply to: #3233863

Subject: RE: Albany anyone?
Check out the Capital District Tri Club.  Great group with some awsome training..
2010-12-09 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
zee744 - 2010-12-02 12:42 PM Anyone in the Albany area? I'd like to meet some fellow triathletes in this area. Haven't been too impressed in the people I've met thus far.

Really??  I have met some pretty great people in this area since I have started doing Tri's.  There is going to be a training group starting at the Chicotti Center (sp) in colonie coming up. Also a training group starting up at the Southern Saratoga YMCA in Jan.  All the people that have been involved in that group over the years have been great....Im including the participants and the coaches.
2010-12-09 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
I'm in the Ballston Spa area and we have the Saratoga Triathlon Club up here.

Site is being redone.

http://saratogatriclub.com/
2010-12-09 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3242332

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
murrayk - 2010-12-09 7:10 AM Check out the Capital District Tri Club.  Great group with some awsome training..

Went to a "training" session. Showed up fairly early. They were more interested in taking my $20, which is basically to pad their own wallets since there are no prizes, numbers, times...anything, than answering ANY questions I had. Back home, Lake Placid, the Monday Night Mini Tri's are $15. The guy who run them owns the local bike shop and gives top 2-3 in each age group a prize as well as gives each participant a raffle ticket and gives away an additional 15-20 things EVERY WEEK! Its not some tri club just looking for people to pay for their races.

Everyone as a whole was very discourteous, even the people not snagging my money. People had no regard for other while riding down the middle of the road, in traffic with me trying to pass them saying "On your left" numerous times. Then people had the nerve to at ME when I passed them on the right.

Luckily they're morons and seeing as how no body marking/record of who is there is done I will attend a few next year, not pay and have a grand ole time whipping their pathetic butts.

Edited by zee744 2010-12-09 11:55 AM
2010-12-09 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3242650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
orphious - 2010-12-09 10:42 AM
zee744 - 2010-12-02 12:42 PM Anyone in the Albany area? I'd like to meet some fellow triathletes in this area. Haven't been too impressed in the people I've met thus far.

Really??  I have met some pretty great people in this area since I have started doing Tri's.  There is going to be a training group starting at the Chicotti Center (sp) in colonie coming up. Also a training group starting up at the Southern Saratoga YMCA in Jan.  All the people that have been involved in that group over the years have been great....Im including the participants and the coaches.

Know where I could get some more info regarding those training groups? I'm definitely interested. See previous post regarding the people I've met.

2010-12-09 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3242650

User image

Regular
Albany, NY
Yeah, I have to agree with Orphious here.  He's one of the people that I've met through the Southern Saratoga YMCA tri training program.  Since doing that program last year, meeting people in the CDTri club, and also the Albany Running Exchange - there have been a lot of good people; and it's easy to stay hooked to a sport like this when there's people around you just as dedicated and motivating.  I think the CD Tri club is having a meeting next week...I believe they welcome new people to come in and ask questions...obviously it's off season, so it would be a lot of club news in prep for the Spring - but atleast you'd get to meet some people

2010-12-09 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3242984

User image

Regular
Albany, NY
Just FYI, the training sessions on Tuesday really are training session...not races.  There is a race at that location in August, but the weekly sessions are just for practice...it's a private lake, so I imagine the reason they charge is 1. because they prolly have to pay someone and 2. maybe they have to pay lifeguards?  I don't know...but I do know that if you prepay the entire training season, it's less than $20 per night and I always thought it was well worth it to have the kind of weekly open water swim with such a large group of people.

zee744 - 2010-12-09 12:48 PM
murrayk - 2010-12-09 7:10 AM Check out the Capital District Tri Club.  Great group with some awsome training..

Went to a "training" session. Showed up fairly early. They were more interested in taking my $20, which is basically to pad their own wallets since there are no prizes, numbers, times...anything, than answering ANY questions I had. Back home, Lake Placid, the Monday Night Mini Tri's are $15. The guy who run them owns the local bike shop and gives top 2-3 in each age group a prize as well as gives each participant a raffle ticket and gives away an additional 15-20 things EVERY WEEK! Its not some tri club just looking for people to pay for their races.
2010-12-09 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3242997

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
misfit_1 - 2010-12-09 12:55 PM Just FYI, the training sessions on Tuesday really are training session...not races.  There is a race at that location in August, but the weekly sessions are just for practice...it's a private lake, so I imagine the reason they charge is 1. because they prolly have to pay someone and 2. maybe they have to pay lifeguards?  I don't know...but I do know that if you prepay the entire training season, it's less than $20 per night and I always thought it was well worth it to have the kind of weekly open water swim with such a large group of people.

I realize they are "training sessions" but the $$ wasn't even the major issue. It was the lack of courtesy I received from everyone. Maybe I was just spoiled with genuinely good people at all the races I've attended.

Edited by zee744 2010-12-09 12:19 PM
2010-12-09 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3243025

User image

Regular
Albany, NY
I can understand your frustration to a certain degree...and I don't know how the training was in Placid.  I suspect if anything, it had more to do with a lot of newbies rather than people just being discourteous.  I happen to be a newb, but I've made a lot of effort to immerse myself in proper etiquette so I don't bother better triatletes, and also so I don't get run over by them.  A lot of these people might just be oblivious and may be more 'casual triathlete' rather than someone who is trying to get in a TT every week.  I can't defend either way...I can jsut tell you that I've had good experiences (however, like I said I'm new - so I don't have other experiences or practice sites to base on aside from Crystal Lake) - but maybe come back next season for another try?

zee744 - 2010-12-09 1:07 PM
misfit_1 - 2010-12-09 12:55 PM Just FYI, the training sessions on Tuesday really are training session...not races.  There is a race at that location in August, but the weekly sessions are just for practice...it's a private lake, so I imagine the reason they charge is 1. because they prolly have to pay someone and 2. maybe they have to pay lifeguards?  I don't know...but I do know that if you prepay the entire training season, it's less than $20 per night and I always thought it was well worth it to have the kind of weekly open water swim with such a large group of people.

I realize they are "training sessions" but the $$ wasn't even the major issue. It was the lack of courtesy I received from everyone. Maybe I was just spoiled with genuinely good people at all the races I've attended.
2010-12-09 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3242988

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
zee744 - 2010-12-09 12:50 PM

Know where I could get some more info regarding those training groups? I'm definitely interested. See previous post regarding the people I've met.

I know they are still organizing the group for this winter into spring at the Southern Saratoga Y.  I dont have any info other than what was sent to me via email:

The winter triathlon program will be starting in January at SSYMCA.  The format has changed a bit from last year and we have some new coaches.  This year we will offer two swim sessions, a spin, a run and a choice of another coach led spin or swim.  You'll note the addition of the run! 
Schedule
Tuesday 5:45-6:45 am strength in the aerobics room
Wednesday 5:30-6:30am swim workout
Thursday 6:45-7:45 spin in the spin studio
Friday 8-9am run
Sunday 7-9 am swim and spin/run

I will be helping assist in the pool on Sun mornings.

The other group, I am not sure when it will start but I can give you the email of the head coach.  I will also be helping that group in the pool on Sat mornings:

This is the schedule...dont know the starting date for this group:

Tues 6pm Strength TR
Thurs 6pm cycling/run
Sat 7:30 swim/run/clinics

Coaches email: [email protected]

Her name is Jen.  I'm sure she can give ya some more info on that group (chiatti center in colonie)

The Y group, for info, you can call the Southern Saratoga Y although I doubt anyone who answers will know anything about it  LOL!!!  The front desk staff tend to not know about the programs.  In that case I would keep checking online at the Capitol District YMCA web site.... 

Are you a Y member?   Not sure if the group will be open to non-Y members.  They have done itin the past but think they may have cut that.

Sorry you had such a bad experiance with the CD Tri club.  I only got to go once this year but I met a lot of great peopl in that group the previous year,  As misfit said they use the money to basically rent the lake and pay for life guards.

Edited by orphious 2010-12-09 7:53 PM

2010-12-11 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
The winter triathlon program will be starting in January at SSYMCA. The format
has changed a bit from last year and we have some new coaches. This year we will
offer two swim sessions, a spin, a run and a choice of another coach led spin or swim.
You'll note the addition of the run!

Schedule
Tuesday 5:45-6:45 am strength in the aerobics room
Wednesday 5:30-6:30am swim workout
Thursday 6:45-7:45 spin in the spin studio (now with 25 bikes!)
Friday 8-9am run
Sunday 7-9 am swim and spin/run

Registration: Members Dec. 13th - you must be a member to join the program $150
There will be a kick-off meeting giving everyone a chance to meet the coaches, each
other and pick up program materials.
Our goal is to offer times for all to be able to participate in at least one swim, run, and
spin each week. We will also offer a more formal nutrition piece this year. Laurie
Burton Grego will talk to the group about nutrition and you may submit daily food logs to
her for review. She is a registered dietician, so if you have any special conditions or are
on medication she can provide expert dietary information.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Albany anyone? Rss Feed