Miami, Florida
United States
MultiRace
Total Time = 4h 30m 34s
Overall Rank = 7/571
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 3:20, ate bagel and clif bar , drink 22 oz. accelerade, packed up, took everything to car. Left about 4:50 or so for race. Parked by about 5am and off to transition. Setup bottles, gel, shoes attached to bike, Garmin, hat , run gel, socks in shoes. Everything set. Was worried about Garmin battery life so did not start before race. This was a mistake. This Garmin has enough battery life. I rested next to trees until little after 6am. Put on wet suit there and left transition to head to swim start.

Event warmup:

Got in water and swam out to first buoy that is as far as they would let you go. I took a look as far down the course as possible. Spent about 15 min are so swimming with a few very short pickups. Water temp was around 74 and very nice. I like swimming in this lake. Went to picnic table and chatted with a few folks. Took gel and finished accelerade (diluted) about 10 minutes before start. Put in trash on walked down to start. Was there about as 1st wave took off. I was second wave at 7:05am.

Swim
  • 31m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was over to left a little on start and was not aggressive, this seemed fine but I ended up in no man’s land behind the good swimmers and in front of the not so good. Took a tight line and good on first yellow buoy then aimed right off end of pier and then picked up buoy at far end. Make 90 degree right turn head for next, 90 right watch shore on left and swim for far end and then pick up swim finish area, swim until fingers hit bottom, stand and run up, looked steep but was not bad, around and back in, time 15:40, repeat picked up draft about half way thru but could not figure out if this person was at right speed or not. It is hard to know where you are among everyone as I caught some from first wave early and on the second loop there are many different waves in the water. Out in 31:46.
What would you do differently?:

Get in more than 12 total swims in prep for race. Could be more aggressive and get good feet to follow.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Up ramp, goggles to head, skipped wetsuit strippers, suit down to waist before getting to bike, suit off and place back behind bike, shoes on bike with single rubber band on non-drive train side, rubber band was not tight enough and shoes were going round and around. Wish race director would cover the rocks right before the mount area. They really hurt on bare feet.
Bike
  • 2h 20m 21s
  • 54 miles
  • 23.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Ran pass mount line, easy and careful onto bike, few pedals to speed and feet in shoes, nice tail wind going out, easy 25-26 mph. It was great to be able to have good speed and ease into bike. Had to yell out to officail on motorcycles to move as two motorcycles were riding next to one another and chatting. They were blocking the road. I needed a yellow card to show them. Very solid going out, turned into head wind and dropped to around 20 mph or so. Turn again, crosswind and speed around 23-24 mph. Steady ride but not too hard. Big tail wind on that outer section, up to 28-29 mph. Turn again crosswind, 23-24 mph. Turn head head wind, 20 mph. This repeats over and over. This is a windy area but the race conditions are about as good as it gets from what I understand. Somewhere in there I passed a couple tractors pulling about 7-8 plant carts each, interesting. Approaching second loop watch out for that aid station and merging with first lappers. Second loop just like first except more passing. It was dangerous at end of second loop. I understand why they have the aid station here but it sets up a dangerous situation with too many things happening at one place. I had to break hard to avoid a collision. Guy in front lost bottle and was stopping to get it. Some people are going right for aid and then left to join the second loop. There is not a clear path thru. So I had to pretty much stop. Ok now I was heading back in to T2. Head wind most of the way back in. I was nervous at a few crossing. Police letting people go rather close in front of me. I had to wave at a few crossings to make sure they saw me and I slowed to be safe. Better to slow and be safe as cars really hurt when they hit you! Average was solid over 23 mph so stayed steady and did not fight wind on way back to T2. Had not done as much bike training as normal and did not want to trash the legs. Easy back in, being careful. Feet out of shoes, slowing, leg over bike, off and running with bike. Hurt foot on rock. Turned out I bruised my right forefoot on rock and was very sore for days. It was a little crowded getting back into transition as the international race is going as well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Run
  • 1h 35m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Was running well, legs felt good, taking it easy, Garmin still not working. Now Garmin wants to know if I am indoors, no, have I moved 500 miles, no, is today 14th November 2010, yes. Garmin acquired before first mile and I reset it at mile 1. Averaging around 7:15-7:20 min per mile. I love this run course. I like how often things change. I was only able to get water at aid stations. I needed gel. Was running steady but well within myself. I was concerned about energy without gel. I started slowing, took some cytomax after campground. I found the cytomax to be less than good. Coming to aid station next to swim exit, there were the hammer gels. I had never tried it before and it was raspberry. You know what they say always try something new on race day! Tasted OK, about 3 min later energy back up and I was grooving, getting some reading down around 7 min per mile. Still felt like I am running conservative. Stayed steady and then picked up with 3 mile to go, 20 min and it will be over, RUN! I heard the finish. I was moving well, should have been running harder all along. As I looked at finish line I was like, OK, why are those people with jogging strollers blocking the finish line? A race official saw me coming and directed me right down the middle. Nice work on his part, way to be alert. Finished.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Train more, start garmin before race, remember gel flask, ride harder, push more on run.

Last updated: 2010-12-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:46 | 2112 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 43/571
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU V:1
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:20:21 | 54 miles | 23.09 mile/hr
Overall: 11/571
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:35:34 | 13.1 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Overall: 13/571
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-12-03 6:20 PM

User image

Tampa, FL
Subject: Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon

2010-12-03 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3236105

User image

Elite
Miami
Subject: RE: Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon
nice race...congrats on 7th overall...conditions were pretty awesome for the race.
2010-12-04 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3236246

User image

Tampa, FL
Subject: RE: Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon
trix - 2010-12-03 10:49 PM

nice race...congrats on 7th overall...conditions were pretty awesome for the race.

Thank you. And, yes, the conditions were very nice. It is a great race, very well done. Good luck in your prep for FL70.3. Feel free to ask me any questions. I will do my best to answer.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon Rss Feed