Foot Traffic
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 59m 48s
Overall Rank = 903/1050
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 109/121
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:45, got dressed, ate two pieces of toast with butter and jam, a banana, and chugged 2 scoops of gatorade in 16 oz h20. Debated back and forth whether to wear running tights or tri shorts - went with tri shorts, and glad I did. Had a short sleeve dry-fit shirt and running jacket on top.
Event warmup:

Rode fixie to race start at north american hq of adidas - a little over 2 miles away. Picked up some extra pins to do my bib up, walked around, and stretcheda bit.
Run
  • 2h 59m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The plan was this, devised about 10 minutes before start: 10 mins jog w/u, then 4:1 run:walk ratio for as long as possible. I was pretty sure I was going to end up walking a lot considering I haven't run anything > 6 miles since Black Diamond HIM at end of September. And then I sprained my left ankle and right knee in a fall in October and was not doing a lot of running or walking for a good month+. And I've put on some weight since Sept too... I had money in my pocket to take the bus back to the start in case I got half way and couldn't go on - I was that concerned about my run ability.

But I got into a rhythm and was go man going at a nice clip - surprisingly fast for the perceived lack of fitness. And I felt good, even though my HR was higher than normal - I wasn't feeling all that great in the morning and didn't sleep worth a dang that night. So I just rolled with it, nothing too hard, pushing it when I was feeling better. The route along N. Willamette was windy as all heck - I was practically running sideways at a couple points, and had to hold on to my hat for a couple sections. Nice tail wind for a good portion of the first 7.5 miles.

I rolled through the turn around @ 7.5 miles feeling okay, but I was getting a little hungry. I didn't have a chance to get any gels prior, and somehow missed them at the first few aid stations. I was sucking down HEED at every aid station to make up for it. Finally at mile 9 I picked up a gel and then another at mile 11 - but it was kinda too late and I was fading. Then at mile 10.5ish my left ankle started hurting - more the muscles around it - probably general weakness due to the lack of training. I took more & longer walk breaks, but was still running as much as possible. Though some of the speed walkers were catching up - dang those ladies can haul!

About 1/4 mile left there was a 60+ woman speed walking who passed me, I turned on the engine and poured it out over the finish line, both to pass her and get in under 3:00. Finished hard & finished running.

Awesome race overall, and better than I could have asked for my fitness level. Slow and more frequent running seems to be working to my advantage.
What would you do differently?:

More long runs - obviously (not sprain my ankle!). Make sure I have a couple gels in my pocket.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, ate some soup and a corn muffin, had some egg nog and rode my fixie back home. Later went out for pigs in a blanket at Helsers - mmm carbs and coffee!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of long run fitness.

Event comments:

Loved all the people in costumes, I debated wearing my santa hat, but it has ear mufflers and I thought it would be too hot (it would have). Great race, look forward to doing it again next year. And, I really enjoyed my first stand alone half marathon, will be looking for another to race come Feb-ish. Never thought I would like running - but the atmosphere was so fun!

Last updated: 2010-12-08 12:00 AM
Running
02:59:48 | 13.1 miles | 13m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 109/121
Overall: 903/1050
Performance: Good
Min HR: 116 Avg HR: 161 Max HR: 182 Lap Data: 1 1h 38m 40s 7.47 miles 13m 12s /mile 156 168 2 1h 21m 11s 5.72 miles 14m 11s /mile 166 182
Course: Up to St. Johns and through neighborhoods in NE/N Portland, and back along N Willamette (the mighty wind tunnel).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes