BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-03-18 6:02 PM
in reply to: #3403926

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
Boston Beginner - 2011-03-18 2:35 PM
Mike_D - 2011-03-18 11:43 AM

Mountaindan - 2011-03-18 10:04 AM Mike - It's warming up today, maybe a little rainy and windy, but may be a nice chance to get out of the basement. I may do the same!

Planning a 2 hour ride on Sunday outside!

Where and what time?
thought about going out at 11:30 or so. May do a 28 mi loop route I found on BT input bt a certain BB ;-). Wanna ride? PM me!

2011-03-18 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Went for a ride OUTSIDE today! Sooooo much nicer riding in fresh air, only did 17 miles but felt good. Can't wait to get some more miles in.Come on spring, spring fever has officially arrived!
2011-03-18 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3404205

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Boston Beginner - 2011-03-18 5:48 PM Went outside and ran for the first time in 4 months and it was horrific.  Couldn't even make it a mile without my lungs burning.  It's going to be a long couple of months.  How depressing.  

Do you mean that your lungs burned because of the cold weather? 

2011-03-19 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3404300

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
itziaol - 2011-03-18 8:37 PM

Boston Beginner - 2011-03-18 5:48 PM Went outside and ran for the first time in 4 months and it was horrific.  Couldn't even make it a mile without my lungs burning.  It's going to be a long couple of months.  How depressing.  

Do you mean that your lungs burned because of the cold weather? 

Part of the reason.  I find when I don't run outside for a long period of time, it takes me a while to get used to the outside air and my lungs burn.  Plus, my lungs could be a bit messed up from being up in the high altitudes of Denver and Vail this week.  I am going to go out and run tomorrow.   
2011-03-19 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Had a really fun Saturday.  Lounged around this AM and just took it easy.  Around noon headed to the golf course for my first round of the season.  Walked on with no warm ups and shot an 89 -- with 2 x quads and a double!!!  Should have been an 83-85 easy.  Very pleased as I have not worked on anything and was playing to a 12 HCP when I last played regularly two years back.

Got home and decided to go for my normal 3.4 mile run.  Now last night my 19 year old daughter came home from the University of Illinois for spring break.  Have to brag on her -- she finished HS in 3 years, went in to college with a boat load of credits, is studying engineering (actually turned down MIT and Princeton!), is pulling straight A's, AND doing research on control systems with a prof.  On top of that she got accepted in to a summer research program with Cal Berkeley for this coming summer -- getting paid to do what she loves!  Now you have to understand, Amanda's never been much on athletics.  I coached her from the time she was 5 in baseball, basketball, soccer and other things.  She always had a good time, but she was the kid that had everyone shaking there head.  Since she's been at school, on her own, she's been doing running and swimming.  She's shared what she's doing and it sounds great.  So I asked her if she wanted to join me.  She said sure and we headed out.  She did a great job and hung in there for a 9:20 pace.  She could have done a lot more, but we just took it easy.  She's always had great strength, but no interest in sports.  But she is having some fun with this and is asking about getting a bike for on campus.

Now after dinner we had some more fun.  Leaving the golf course today I noticed that there were a half dozen balls in the gutter along the one side of the course.  The road is fairly busy.  So...  I asked her if she wanted to go on an adventure.  She said sure and off we went.  Told her the plan -- I'd drive, she'd jump out, gather some balls and jump back in.  It took us two passes of timing traffic, but we got all the balls.  Lots of fun and giggles -- and a memory that will stay with both of us for years!

Hope everyone else had as much fun today as I did.

2011-03-19 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3405033

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
croixfan - 2011-03-19 8:06 PM

Had a really fun Saturday.  Lounged around this AM and just took it easy.  Around noon headed to the golf course for my first round of the season.  Walked on with no warm ups and shot an 89 -- with 2 x quads and a double!!!  Should have been an 83-85 easy.  Very pleased as I have not worked on anything and was playing to a 12 HCP when I last played regularly two years back.

Got home and decided to go for my normal 3.4 mile run.  Now last night my 19 year old daughter came home from the University of Illinois for spring break.  Have to brag on her -- she finished HS in 3 years, went in to college with a boat load of credits, is studying engineering (actually turned down MIT and Princeton!), is pulling straight A's, AND doing research on control systems with a prof.  On top of that she got accepted in to a summer research program with Cal Berkeley for this coming summer -- getting paid to do what she loves!  Now you have to understand, Amanda's never been much on athletics.  I coached her from the time she was 5 in baseball, basketball, soccer and other things.  She always had a good time, but she was the kid that had everyone shaking there head.  Since she's been at school, on her own, she's been doing running and swimming.  She's shared what she's doing and it sounds great.  So I asked her if she wanted to join me.  She said sure and we headed out.  She did a great job and hung in there for a 9:20 pace.  She could have done a lot more, but we just took it easy.  She's always had great strength, but no interest in sports.  But she is having some fun with this and is asking about getting a bike for on campus.

Now after dinner we had some more fun.  Leaving the golf course today I noticed that there were a half dozen balls in the gutter along the one side of the course.  The road is fairly busy.  So...  I asked her if she wanted to go on an adventure.  She said sure and off we went.  Told her the plan -- I'd drive, she'd jump out, gather some balls and jump back in.  It took us two passes of timing traffic, but we got all the balls.  Lots of fun and giggles -- and a memory that will stay with both of us for years!

Awesome! She sounds like someone we'll see in stockholm in a few years getting an award!!

My day consisted of going to the dump, shopping for appliances, furniture, and doing my taxes.  You got me beat by a mile.

Getting psyched for my bike ride tomorrow.

2011-03-19 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3405042

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Mike_D - 2011-03-19 8:19 PM
croixfan - 2011-03-19 8:06 PM

Awesome! She sounds like someone we'll see in stockholm in a few years getting an award!!

My day consisted of going to the dump, shopping for appliances, furniture, and doing my taxes.  You got me beat by a mile.

Getting psyched for my bike ride tomorrow.

Curt, you are very fortunate.  Congratulations. 

Mike, good luck on you ride tomorrow.

I haven't been able to exercise in a while.  I hope to do it tomorrow.

Edited by itziaol 2011-03-19 8:30 PM
2011-03-19 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Curt, that sounds like a day to remember! It is always awesome to see our kids succeeding!I woke up and rolled over to see heavy snow! What's up with that? In the 60's yesterday and snow and cold today. It turned in to a good day to get some maintenance done on my truck.Mike and Josh, good luck on the ride tomorrow, hopefully the weather is good!
2011-03-20 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

sunny and beautiful here today. A bit chilly, but I'm going out for a ride around noon. Its a bit of consoloation for the fact I should be at this very moment about 4+ miles into my first 1/2 mary.  On the other good news front, my foot is now on day 3 of not hurting, and I'm letting myself get a *bit* hopeful it may be getting better. Another week of rest, then I'm going to try it.

Other fun thing from today - my oldest (11 going on 23) is going to do our local tri in June as part of a relay team. she is going to run, and wants me to run with her. So we're starting a "Couch to 5k" thing next week to get her running, and get me moving again (assuming my foot is good). My 8 year old wants to do this, too, and has already said she is going to do the Kids tri in June at the local YMCA.

2011-03-20 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3405316

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Mike_D - 2011-03-20 9:45 AM

sunny and beautiful here today. A bit chilly, but I'm going out for a ride around noon. Its a bit of consoloation for the fact I should be at this very moment about 4+ miles into my first 1/2 mary.  On the other good news front, my foot is now on day 3 of not hurting, and I'm letting myself get a *bit* hopeful it may be getting better. Another week of rest, then I'm going to try it.

Other fun thing from today - my oldest (11 going on 23) is going to do our local tri in June as part of a relay team. she is going to run, and wants me to run with her. So we're starting a "Couch to 5k" thing next week to get her running, and get me moving again (assuming my foot is good). My 8 year old wants to do this, too, and has already said she is going to do the Kids tri in June at the local YMCA.

Have fun today.  I wish I could join you.  Still not feeling 100%.  You will be doing your 1st half soon enough my friend.

Curt, sounds like an amazing day.  I have played a round of golf since my oldest was born, 6 years ago next week.  I used to play almost every weekend when I lived in CA.   
2011-03-20 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3405316

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2011-03-20 8:45 AM

Sounds like great fun / something positive about having to slow down the running.

2011-03-20 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Mike - sorry about the half Mary, but it’s great that you are setting and example and being an inspiration to your little ones.  

Dan – I hope the weather improves so that you can exercise outside soon.  How is your wife by the way?  Completely recovered?

Josh – Feeling better?

Ail – I hope you are feeling better and you managed to at least swim.

I rode my mountain bike and ran in the enclosed area where I live using some of my new gear.  Everything fits and my new glasses make such a difference!  I have a harmless but confessed stalker though, so I feel weary of going out to train on my own.  Recruiting my daughter like you guys are doing seems like a good solution.

I hope you all have a great Sunday!  Smile

2011-03-20 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Bike ride was fantastic, until one of my shoe clips broke, and I crashed. I have a banged up left knee which looks worse than it is, but otherwise, I'm OK, as is the bike. I had a great time up until then - the bike is phenominal. so fast, responsive, instant shifing, so smooth, etc. Just awesome.

The crash was at very low speed so that was a good thing. My left shoe wouldn't unclip (broken clip was stuck), and I didn't have time to unclip the right show and put it down before I fell over to the right. All my weight landed on my right knee, and at first I thought something very bad had happened. A nice park ranger (I was riding through a state park) came by a minute later and hung out w/ my until my rescue ride showed. I felt better by then, but since my clip was busted, it wouldn't hold the pedal right, so I ended up getting a ride home.

Was a bit cold on the feet today (no socks), but otherwise it was a total joy to be out there riding today. Next time I'll try not to have my shoe break, and cause me to crash

2011-03-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3405585

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2011-03-20 2:19 PM

Bike ride was fantastic, until one of my shoe clips broke, and I crashed. I have a banged up left knee which looks worse than it is, but otherwise, I'm OK, as is the bike. I had a great time up until then - the bike is phenominal. so fast, responsive, instant shifing, so smooth, etc. Just awesome.

The crash was at very low speed so that was a good thing. My left shoe wouldn't unclip (broken clip was stuck), and I didn't have time to unclip the right show and put it down before I fell over to the right. All my weight landed on my right knee, and at first I thought something very bad had happened. A nice park ranger (I was riding through a state park) came by a minute later and hung out w/ my until my rescue ride showed. I felt better by then, but since my clip was busted, it wouldn't hold the pedal right, so I ended up getting a ride home.

Was a bit cold on the feet today (no socks), but otherwise it was a total joy to be out there riding today. Next time I'll try not to have my shoe break, and cause me to crash

New bike officially broke in.  Glad you're OK

2011-03-20 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Ouch Mike!  That sounds painful.  Judging from the way you fell on your knee it could have been much worse.  I'm glad you are OK!

Nice pic Curt, we finally see you.  Now, where's your bike?  Smile

2011-03-20 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3405594

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
croixfan - 2011-03-20 3:29 PM

x2.  You are officially one of us.  Glad everyone and everything is in one piece.  Here's another bit of advice, don't stop on an uphill.   

2011-03-20 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Have run four of last five days in an attempt to strengthen my muscles -- the lungs and cardio are doing great.  Took it out nice and easy today and it went great.  Held a 9:05 pace and actually negative split on the out and back (10:57, 4:48, 4:36, 10:32).  Hopefully the biking won't suffer too much, but think it best I build a bit on the run.  This week is week two of the masters swimming adventure.  Promised myself today that I was going to push myself really hard for the next few weeks and see what I can accomplish.

Very happy with the progress over the winter.  Going in to the spring having made some gains over the winter, injury free (knock on wood), and excited about the season.  Also think that the fitness is making a difference in other areas -- golf yesterday was "easy" as I just relaxed and enjoyed it.  Felt really good with no aches or pains on the walk.

(Itzia -- Put up a couple of albums that have some pics from one of the tris and photos of the ride.)

2011-03-20 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Itzia, weather is getting better, but was a little cold on the teos today, even with socks! My wife is doing very well, the new knee is coming along very well, shee did a 2.5 mile charity walk last weekend, the first time in years with no pain!

Mike, sorry to hear about the accident today, hopefully we will have some more warm weather to get back out there with a better result!

2700 yd swim and a 21 mile bike ride today, other than frosen toes it was a Great day!

Josh, hope you feel better soon!

Curt, great job on the runs, can I borrow some of that speed?

2011-03-20 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3405916

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mountaindan - 2011-03-20 7:24 PM

Itzia, weather is getting better, but was a little cold on the teos today, even with socks! My wife is doing very well, the new knee is coming along very well, shee did a 2.5 mile charity walk last weekend, the first time in years with no pain!

Mike, sorry to hear about the accident today, hopefully we will have some more warm weather to get back out there with a better result!

2700 yd swim and a 21 mile bike ride today, other than frosen toes it was a Great day!

Dan you're a funny guy!!!  My PR is about 8:15 per mile for 3 miles so speed ain't this kids middle name.  Now if we go back 25 years and run 40's I could turn in a 4.5!!!!  Probably why this endurance stuff has me so perplexed.  Think the swim/bike you did today are pretty darn impressive / would kill to be able to do 2700 yards.

2011-03-20 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3405916

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Mountaindan - 2011-03-20 7:24 PM

Great to hear Dan!  That’s quite an accomplishment so soon after surgery.  Congratulations to both of you!  Smile

2011-03-21 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Other than a sore knee, I'm OK today, and will be fine tomorrow, I'm sure. Thinking about yesterday, I'm feeling good about the biking I did managed to get done. I felt strong, fast, and managed hills w/o too much of an issue. Felt great in aero, but stayed on the horns on busy roads. Next weekend, I'll managed the full ride, and not have the problem from yesterday

Dan, way to get out there! What are you doing for swim workouts? I'm feeling lost at the pool these days in terms of what to do -- no real plan. 

Good news on the foot. The past few days it has felt great, and assuming it continues, next week I'm going to start the Couch to 5k w/ my daughter both to get her going and to get myself going again as well. This is all assuming my foot doesn't show any further issues.

2011-03-21 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3405632

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Boston Beginner - 2011-03-20 3:07 PM
croixfan - 2011-03-20 3:29 PM

x2.  You are officially one of us.  Glad everyone and everything is in one piece.  Here's another bit of advice, don't stop on an uphill.   

LOL. Glad to join the ranks, I guess

Sadly, the wipeout was on flat groud going very slow.  I also managed to fall over at a stop sign as well. Hopefully most of this is now out of the way now, and I've learned some lessons

2011-03-21 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
So the "D" in "Mike D" is for disaster?
2011-03-21 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

LOL  Curt you are terrible!  (I hope that translates well)

Mike, when I think of your accident I wonder how I’ll do once I use the pedals and shoes on my new bike (if it ever gets here).  Everybody falls down at some point, I just hope to be lucky when I do.  Love the picture of your dog! 

2011-03-21 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3406367

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
itziaol - 2011-03-21 8:19 AM

LOL  Curt you are terrible!  (I hope that translates well)

Mike, when I think of your accident I wonder how I’ll do once I use the pedals and shoes on my new bike (if it ever gets here).  Everybody falls down at some point, I just hope to be lucky when I do.  Love the picture of your dog! 

Practice a bunch before you head out is my recommendation. I haven't had much of an issue with this until yesterday.

Thanks for the dog picture commnet. I put it up today to give her some good mojo as she's having surgery tomorrow to remove a few lumps/growths she has on her head & one foot. She'll be a sore pup for a few days after that happens tomorrow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38