BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-03-10 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3392141

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED

tricupcake - 2011-03-10 1:25 PM I guess I wasn't done being MIA.  I will start my training in a couple of weeks.  It's an 11 week program which I hope will be enough.  Foot is still pretty sore on some days, like yesterday.  But I go to get my orthotics today and I know that will help.

I am still going to a trainer twice a week which is mostly core and strength training.  I haven't lost much weight since I've been going but that's my own fault.  I fell off the nutrition wagon a couple of weeks ago but am back on.  Even though I haven't lost much weight with the trainer, I can definitely see where I'm toning up.  But for the whole year, I'm down 14 pounds

Down 14 pounds is AWESOME - give yourself credit (tho you apparently gave them to ME!!).

what's with your foot? that's lousy...

2011-03-10 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3392655

User image

Orlando, Fl

Not looking forward to lake swims thankfully this is a pool swim. Unfortunately its an unheated pool swim and we have a little cold snap now. The low for the day is like 41....brrrrrr I do have a friend that is doing it with me, so that will be nice. Also my family is working the event so my brother will be at the pool and my mom is working the transition area. The perk of doing a small home town Tri =)

Looking forward in being able to post how I did!

2011-03-10 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3389322

User image

Good Luck Saturday. Just remember to race your race, not somebody else's.
2011-03-10 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3392141

User image

Master
St. Louis

tricupcake - 2011-03-10 12:25 PM I guess I wasn't done being MIA.  I will start my training in a couple of weeks.  It's an 11 week program which I hope will be enough.  Foot is still pretty sore on some days, like yesterday.  But I go to get my orthotics today and I know that will help.

I am still going to a trainer twice a week which is mostly core and strength training.  I haven't lost much weight since I've been going but that's my own fault.  I fell off the nutrition wagon a couple of weeks ago but am back on.  Even though I haven't lost much weight with the trainer, I can definitely see where I'm toning up.  But for the whole year, I'm down 14 pounds

14 pounds is awesome!  As far as getting back on the wagon, IMHO it doesn't have to be all or nothing unless that is what works best for you.  Eating better most of the time is a huge improvement and not nearly as hard as eating right all the time.

2011-03-12 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3260767

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Hope you had fun, Jaime!
2011-03-12 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3394984

User image

Master
St. Louis

MarlaS - 2011-03-12 1:57 PM Hope you had fun, Jaime!

x2, can't wait for the race report.

2011-03-12 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3395131

User image

Orlando, Fl
Subject: Race report

Sooooo here it is =)

The swim was cold, but I was proud of myself. I started in the 8 minute group and passed a few. I had some issues with the waves from people flopping around like dead fish in the water but was able to stay calm and breath ok. I finished the swim in 8:50. Then on to the bike, my transition was not the greatest just under 3 minutes but it was my first, so lesson learned. Now on to the bike, all I can say is BRRRRRRR. The air temp was prob high 40s to low 50s and water temp was about 68, so between being wet and riding the bike everyones feet went completely numb. I felt pretty good on the bike, very happy I went and bought my bike. I couldnt imagine doing that on a mountain bike. My bike time was 58:12. So after the bike I hopped off to start the run. I was anticipating having brick legs but those were not the problem. The first mile I couldn't feel my feet and it was the weirdest thing ever. As soon as they starting thawing my left shin started cramping and I dealt with that for the remainder of the run. I had to alternate running and walking or should I say limping. It was pretty painful. My run time was 34:22, also my 2nd transition was 32 secs, much better than the first.... Overall I would have to say I am pretty pleased. I was upset about my shin bc I haven't had problems with it in so long and it acted up today but, what are you going to do. I placed 3rd in the female first timers with an overall time of 1:44:51. It was an awesome experience and I was very happy to have all my family there and friends cheering me on. Also thanks to all of you and your encouragement of the past few weeks. So all I can say now is when is the next one????

2011-03-12 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3395266

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Race report
Jaime1017 - 2011-03-12 8:47 PM

Sooooo here it is =)

The swim was cold, but I was proud of myself. I started in the 8 minute group and passed a few. I had some issues with the waves from people flopping around like dead fish in the water but was able to stay calm and breath ok. I finished the swim in 8:50. Then on to the bike, my transition was not the greatest just under 3 minutes but it was my first, so lesson learned. Now on to the bike, all I can say is BRRRRRRR. The air temp was prob high 40s to low 50s and water temp was about 68, so between being wet and riding the bike everyones feet went completely numb. I felt pretty good on the bike, very happy I went and bought my bike. I couldnt imagine doing that on a mountain bike. My bike time was 58:12. So after the bike I hopped off to start the run. I was anticipating having brick legs but those were not the problem. The first mile I couldn't feel my feet and it was the weirdest thing ever. As soon as they starting thawing my left shin started cramping and I dealt with that for the remainder of the run. I had to alternate running and walking or should I say limping. It was pretty painful. My run time was 34:22, also my 2nd transition was 32 secs, much better than the first.... Overall I would have to say I am pretty pleased. I was upset about my shin bc I haven't had problems with it in so long and it acted up today but, what are you going to do. I placed 3rd in the female first timers with an overall time of 1:44:51. It was an awesome experience and I was very happy to have all my family there and friends cheering me on. Also thanks to all of you and your encouragement of the past few weeks. So all I can say now is when is the next one????

Congrats triathlete!  Sounds like you had a great race and great support in spite of the cold.  Hopefully you were grinning from ear to ear when you finished.  Congrats again!  You should be proud of your accomplishment.

2011-03-13 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

Jaime1017 - 2011-03-12 9:47 PM

So all I can say now is when is the next one????

You drank the kool-aid! Congratulations - sounds FREEZING (!) but fun. And, sounds like you did more than just finish - glad you're pleased, and that you had a good time. Having family there to cheer you on is the best, isn't it?

2011-03-13 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3395432

User image

Orlando, Fl
Thanks guys, it was great having them there. I cant wait for next years one, its on St. Patty's day! Unfortunately today I am dealing with the effects of the cold and lack of sleep. Sore throat, coughing, sneezing, congested, etc.... ugh Love Florida weather, hott one day and cold the next. Anyone else have an upcoming race? Ive already planned my next one with my friend. Its the end of May =)
2011-03-13 6:05 PM

User image

Central Oregon
Jaime1017 - 2011-03-12 6:47 PM

I placed 3rd in the female first timers with an overall time of 1:44:51. It was an awesome experience and I was very happy to have all my family there and friends cheering me on. Also thanks to all of you and your encouragement of the past few weeks. So all I can say now is when is the next one????

Great job Jaime! What is your focus for the May race? Is it another Sprint?

My race is coming up soon, April 2nd is my sprint and April 10th is a 20 mile trail run.

TRICUPCAKE: Nice job on the weight loss!

2011-03-13 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3395934

User image

Orlando, Fl
Yours are coming up =) The one in May is a sprint but a longer swim and little bit shorter bike and run. I think my focus will be my transition and the bike. The swim will be twice as long but with some more training I will be ok with that. I am going to start increasing my millage in running. Im doing a 6 mile walk/run at the end of the month for cancer, but my goal is to do a half in November. Train, train, train =)
2011-03-13 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3395975

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
that's awesome. sure is fun, isn't it?
2011-03-14 5:58 AM
in reply to: #3392665

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
MarlaS - 2011-03-10 4:27 PM

Down 14 pounds is AWESOME - give yourself credit (tho you apparently gave them to ME!!).

Sorry...didn't mean to give them to you

I've got plantar faciitis.  I've had it before but back then I wasn't working out at all so it's talking longer to heal.  Strangely enough, I'm ok with that.
2011-03-14 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3396340

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
tricupcake - 2011-03-14 6:58 AM
MarlaS - 2011-03-10 4:27 PM

Sorry...didn't mean to give them to you

I've got plantar faciitis.  I've had it before but back then I wasn't working out at all so it's talking longer to heal.  Strangely enough, I'm ok with that.

apology accepted :-) (ok, maybe making gingerbread tonight wasn't such a good idea...the sacrifices we make for our kids....!)

i hear that PF can be painful. does using kinesiology tape help with that at all?

2011-03-15 7:25 PM

User image

Central Oregon

Ladies- what do you wear to a sprint? It's gonna be cold for mine in April and I'm trying to work with what I have... my idea is a sports bra under my swimsuit, socks, cycling shorts and a long sleeve cycling jacket for the bike and run. I thought the jacket will be easier to put on than arm warmers. I do have leg warmers too, but I don't think they will be necessary.

Thoughts?

PS I bought a tri top today but I think I will be taking it back, it's yellow and seems a little too transparent for my taste... perhaps that is why it was on sale!

2011-03-15 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3399438

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Brightbow - 2011-03-15 8:25 PM

Ladies- what do you wear to a sprint? It's gonna be cold for mine in April and I'm trying to work with what I have... my idea is a sports bra under my swimsuit, socks, cycling shorts and a long sleeve cycling jacket for the bike and run. I thought the jacket will be easier to put on than arm warmers. I do have leg warmers too, but I don't think they will be necessary.

Thoughts?

PS I bought a tri top today but I think I will be taking it back, it's yellow and seems a little too transparent for my taste... perhaps that is why it was on sale!

mine's a garish bright yellow - team colors. they wanted something as noticeable as possible, and it works. But, what saves it are http://www.boob-eez.com/- headlight concealers (sorry guys) along with my sports bra + tri top + tri shorts.

I haven't done anything in cold enough temps that i'd want more layer(s), but even though jacket sounds easier to get on & off, i love my arm warmers bc i can just push them down to my hands if i get too warm, and i'd rather be too cold vs. too hot. when temps are cold, though, my hands suffer before the rest of me, so i'd probably include gloves vs. a jacket.

hth.....

2011-03-16 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3397736

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
apology accepted :-) (ok, maybe making gingerbread tonight wasn't such a good idea...the sacrifices we make for our kids....!)

i hear that PF can be painful. does using kinesiology tape help with that at all?

Not sure about the tape.  My doc and therapist have me doing a lot of stretching exercises along with wearing a night splint.  I also am wearing orthotics with all of my shoes and have been told to never walk barefoot   I have good days and bad days.  I walked for about 30 minutes yesterday and my heel was pretty sore for the rest of the day.
2011-03-16 2:08 PM

Just checking in.  Congrats everyone!!
2011-03-16 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3399619

User image

Central Oregon

Hi Tanya! How are you doing?

I don't go out much with my three kids, it's crazy and takes 3 times longer to do anything... but today I was on the same side of town as the Pearl Izumi outlet, so I stopped in. The lady there was so helpful! (She has kids, so she actually thought it was amusing to watch my 5 and 3 year old do laps around the store. There was no one else there, thankfully.) I can't even count how many times I said, "Follow directions quickly, please." Anyway... the point is, I bought some black tri shorts for under 25.00. Yay.

No one else I know cares, so that's why I am on here to share.

Oh, is there a 'taper' for a sprint? Or do you just rest the day before?

2011-03-16 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3399865

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
tricupcake - 2011-03-16 8:46 AM

Not sure about the tape.  My doc and therapist have me doing a lot of stretching exercises along with wearing a night splint.  I also am wearing orthotics with all of my shoes and have been told to never walk barefoot   I have good days and bad days.  I walked for about 30 minutes yesterday and my heel was pretty sore for the rest of the day.

NO BAREFOOT?! (gasp). I'd fail that one worse than the rest thing.

Sounds pretty lousy. What a bummer. Can you swim? ...or is there anything (else) you can do to get cardio benefits?

RE the tape, I use www.rocktape.com. My PT had rec'd kinesiology tape before my knee surgeries, and it did nothing for me. Then, before my 1st tri, one of my teammates - who's also sports therapist - asked if anyone had any aching body parts, and offered to tape them up. I figured couldn't hurt, so he taped my knees. I swear it was the first time I'd run in forever that I didn't have major knee pain! Could've been placebo, but I really didn't care. PT's all seem to think the stuff can help with some things, so I still use it. Rocktape website has video clips for how to tape various body parts/injuries, though the way my pal taped my knees wasn't what the site recommended, but it works anyway. Really do continue to feel the difference, 9 months later.

2011-03-16 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3399438

User image

Orlando, Fl
Subject: What to wear...
For my Tri which was cold, I wore my tri suit with a sports bra under. The pool temp was about 68 and the air temp was in the 50s. It was cold but tolerable. For the bike and run I put on a long sleeve tech shirt. Everything was good except my feet. Everyone's feet were completely numb after the ride. I'm not sure how to prevent that. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
2011-03-16 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3401063

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: What to wear...

Jaime1017 - 2011-03-16 7:46 PM For my Tri which was cold, I wore my tri suit with a sports bra under. The pool temp was about 68 and the air temp was in the 50s. It was cold but tolerable. For the bike and run I put on a long sleeve tech shirt. Everything was good except my feet. Everyone's feet were completely numb after the ride. I'm not sure how to prevent that. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I've seen thick or plastic-y covers you can put over your entire bike shoe to block wind & some cold (don't know how effectively, though), but I have just some cheapo covers for the toes of my bike shoes - wore them the other day when temps were high 50's, and didn't feel a thing (and my feet go completely numb when it's not all that cold)

2011-03-16 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3401063

User image

Central Oregon
Subject: RE: What to wear...

Jaime1017 - 2011-03-16 4:46 PM For my Tri which was cold, I wore my tri suit with a sports bra under. The pool temp was about 68 and the air temp was in the 50s. It was cold but tolerable. For the bike and run I put on a long sleeve tech shirt. Everything was good except my feet. Everyone's feet were completely numb after the ride. I'm not sure how to prevent that. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Did you wear socks?  Just curious.

2011-03-17 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3400964

User image

Master
St. Louis
Brightbow - 2011-03-16 4:59 PM

No one else I know cares, so that's why I am on here to share.

Haha, isn't that the truth!  My friends and family try to act interested when I talk about tri stuff, but I can tell they don't care.  BT is a great place to chat with like minded tri people.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23