General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training for Beginner - Use CrossFit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-28 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
Subject: Strength Training for Beginner - Use CrossFit?
Hello,
  I am new to triathlons with 3 sprints planned for 2011 spring/summer.  I have limited number of hours for training per week.  I am wondering what to do with the strength training aspect of training.   There is a crossfit gym/class not far from my office.  I have signed up to use the Couch to Sprint program and there are days built in for strength training.  Would it be beneficial to use the Cross Fit program for this aspect of my training?  I haven't done any crossfit training before and it would cut into my standard triathlon program because the beginner program for the CrossFit gym requires 3 days a week for the first month.  Just not sure what to do, I think my focus needs to be on endurance in the Swim and Run but think that strength training is important as well.

Any advice in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Alex 

2010-12-28 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3264693

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-29 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3264920

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Strength Training for Beginner - Use CrossFit?
wgraves7582 - 2010-12-28 3:25 PM Alex,

I would stick with S/B/R personally.  I enjoy strength training, and enjoy CrossFit, but CrossFit IMHO is not for a Couch to fitness level person.  If you had some background in strength training and had the extra time I would say go for it.

You were right with the focus on Swim and Run and throw some bike in there as well and you will be golden!

I'd agree with this.   You could also look at a program like "Starting Strength"
2010-12-31 11:36 AM

astorm65 - 2010-12-28 2:39 PM Hello,
  I am new to triathlons with 3 sprints planned for 2011 spring/summer.  I have limited number of hours for training per week.  I am wondering what to do with the strength training aspect of training.   There is a crossfit gym/class not far from my office.  I have signed up to use the Couch to Sprint program and there are days built in for strength training.  Would it be beneficial to use the Cross Fit program for this aspect of my training?  I haven't done any crossfit training before and it would cut into my standard triathlon program because the beginner program for the CrossFit gym requires 3 days a week for the first month.  Just not sure what to do, I think my focus needs to be on endurance in the Swim and Run but think that strength training is important as well.

Any advice in this would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't fool around with cross fit and tri training at the same time especially if you are in experienced. Strength training for a triathlete is something that needs to be pared down to just the essentials and Cross Fit is a whole different place from that.

Robert

Thanks!
Alex 
2011-01-10 12:25 PM

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Totally disagree. CrossFit would be an invaluable training tool. I used CrossFit while training and probably threw in about 3 WOD's a week along with sport specific training. The workouts are short and intense and will work on your strength, flexibility, endurance and stamina just to name a few. It's about quality not quantity so those 5 hour rides, while they help get your butt used to the saddle aren't going to do as much for your strength and endurance as throwing in some CrossFit WOD's and doing more of the interval type training. I've gotten much better results by combining CrossFit with the swim,bike,run. I do agree that you need to be trained in how to do the more complex lifts that some of the workouts require so taking an "on ramp" course at your local CrossFit gym would be smart and well worth it.
But ultimately you have to find what works for YOU so experiment with different things.
2011-01-10 2:14 PM

West Simsbury, CT
Yup.  I'm with esmies on this.  Here is a link to a blog of an athlete of mind who logged every WOD he's done for the past 2 years on nothing but CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance.  He had never done a triathlon in his life, couldn't swim 3 laps in a pool, didn't own a bike and never ran more than 7 miles at once.

He's now done 4-6 half Ironmans, NYC marathon and signed up for IMLP this summer.  Read more here: http://www.danbtrainingblog.blogspot.com//>
Max

2011-01-10 3:12 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
If you are truly a beginner I would first work on a good, basic strength program. Now is a good time as it is the off-season. Crossfit uses a lot of different moves, some quite technical (cleans and snatches), some not as technical but ones that can injure you if done in a fatigued state (deadlifts and squats). To really get the most from Crossfit you should have solid form in the lifts that they do and have a base of strength. I happen to do Olympic weightlifting at a Crossfit facility and my weightlifting coach and the owner of the facility both agree with this statement, so I am in no way putting down Crossfit. Quite the contrary, I'm showing you how to get better at it if it is something you want to do.

Once you've gained some basic strength and are comfortable with the lifts, add in some metabolic conditioning with weights. A good choice here is to use barbell complexes. Just run a search on "barbell complexes" and you'll find hundreds of these for free. "Cardio Strength Training" by Robert dos Remedios has some good complexes in it and is relatively inexpensive. You might also try some swings with a dumbbell or kettlebell. Most sporting goods stores now sell 35 lbs. kettlebells at a not-so-crazy price. It's worth getting one and learning to do swings. A 35 lbs. KB will never be "too light" - since the goal is conditioning, you just keep adding reps.

You could stay on a program of complexes and/or kettlebell swings indefinitely and get most of the benefits that Crossfit provides. Again, I'm not trying to put down Crossfit as I think the program has some good ideas, but I also refuse to say that Crossfit has some special benefit that you couldn't get doing basic strength work along with barbell complexes.
2011-01-10 5:52 PM

West Simsbury, CT
Its funny when the issue of weightlifting comes up, people immediately say "Whoa!"...you'd better learn how to do that stuff, first!  But such coaching rarely comes up when athletes speak about swimming, biking or running.

Technique is job #1 in any activity.  Unfortunately, such coaching is rarely taken in modalities like running and instead, newbies immediately just start piling volume on top of pre-existing poor running form.  Then, (big surprise) when they get hurt via overuse injuries affecting their IT bands, patellas, feet, etc, they blame it on "not being in good enough shape" instead of the $150 huge heeled, massively insole supported "running" shoes that are supposed to prevent injury!

Technique
Intensity
Volume

Follow this progression and you can't go wrong.

Max
2011-04-06 2:22 PM

Master
Memphis, TN
From what I've seen on CrossFit it's not for beginners.  Lots of olympic lifts, which is great but not for beginners. 
2011-04-09 11:32 AM

Regular

astorm65 - 2010-12-28 10:39 PM Hello,
Would it be beneficial to use the Cross Fit program for this aspect of my training?  I haven't done any crossfit training before and it would cut into my standard triathlon program because the beginner program for the CrossFit gym requires 3 days a week for the first month. ... I think my focus needs to be on endurance in the Swim and Run but think that strength training is important as well.
Alex 

Hey Alex,

So it seems like you answered your question already:  is strength training important enough to work into your tri program?  I would recommend you working in some kind of weight training, only because Triathletes spend a lot of time conducting linear movements.  CrossFit is an excellent way to accomplish this but not the only way, as Bear pointed out.  If CrossFit's x3/week is too much for you then find another means.   Hit up a local gym and grab a strength program from Google.  You can even do a garage gym, if that's your ideal time restraint winner.  

The only caveat I have is that any CrossFit affiliate gym has level one certified trainers.  Your first few sessions will be assessments and learning central moves.  They will not having you lifting heavy things up and putting them over your head day one.  All workouts are capable of being scaled down.  Furthermore, one aspect of CrossFit I see as a benefit would be the "grit" factor.  CrossFit community mentality really brings out the "dig deep, embrace the suck, and mind over body" moxy.  Again, not the only way to build that self-confidence, but it's nice to have an environment that supports such a quality that is easily transferable to the amazing endurance sport that is S/B/R.

2011-05-09 11:41 AM

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
One of the best things about CrossFit is it's scalability. ALL the workouts can be scaled to anyone's ability. So using the excuse......CrossFit is not for beginners doesn't fly. If you're not comfortable with Kettlebell swings........you spend some time focusing on technique and drop the weight until you get to a point where your technique dictates you can move to a higher weight safely. At CrossFit gyms there are always coaches there to make sure you're technique is correct. I see so many people using horrible technique and risking serious injury when I go to a globo because none of the trainers there will stop and offer advice. I tried weight training at the gym and was bored out of my mind. It was when I discovered CrossFit and the prescription of "constantly varied...functional movement...performed at high intensity" that I was really able to incorporate strength training successfully. The workouts forced me to push myself beyond what I thought I had in the tank. Anyway.....I just don't think that the CrossFit isn't for beginners holds water. I only preach CrossFit cause it's what works for ME. By all means if you find something that works for you.......stick with it. CrossFit ain't for everyone.

2011-07-12 6:27 AM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
If considering crossfit, check out the "brand x" scaled workouts here: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewforum/16/

and perhaps begin by incorporating only exercises you know you can do safely, and at an appropriate scaled effort for your current fitness level. IOW, in the beginning at least, don't feel like you need to do each and every WOD. If the prescribed workout includes something you're unsure about, skip it for that day and either do something else, or just make that a pure s/b/r day or rest day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training for Beginner - Use CrossFit? Rss Feed