General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lunch Food ideas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-10 6:16 AM

Regular
NY
Subject: Lunch Food ideas
Can some of you suggest some lunch food choices? I have been eating 4 or 5 PB&J's for as long as I can remember, but I have been getting a wicked stomach pains during my runs and I think Its from the sandwiches. What kinds of foods constitutes a healthy and well rounded lunch?

2011-01-10 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3289224

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Lunch Food ideas
I make a big salad and put some cut up chicken on it.  I always have a salad mix in the fridge ready to go.  It has romaine, spinach, red cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and any other veggie you want to throw in there.  Way more entertaining to eat then just lettuce.  You can get creative with your salad dressings as well, hummus and salsa being two of my favorite.  I sometimes add in slivered almonds and some avocado as well.  That meal tends to fill me up nicely and I can run/bike about an hour or so after it with no problems.

Another idea is soup of course.  Made from scratch if you can.  But maybe a lentil based soup.  That should keep you full for a while.  Then there is chili.  A lot of my lunches are leftovers from the night before.  If you plan your supper to have leftovers you'll always have a quick lunch, assuming you have access to a microwave.
2011-01-10 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

I like grilled chicken breasts. I grill them up on Sunday for the whole week and put them in seperate containers.

I vary frozen veggies and usually add an apple or an orange.

2011-01-10 1:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
I make up batches of homemade soups on the weekend and then freeze them in individual containers.  This way if I'm running late in the morning or don't feel like making anything, I can just pull one out and nuke it.  Some of my faves are chili, chili verde made w/chicken and chicken w/wild rice.
2011-01-10 11:40 PM

User image

Subway is my best friend

Oven roasted chicken breast no cheese or condiments.
2011-01-11 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3289359

User image

Expert
bzgl40 - 2011-01-10 7:40 AM I make a big salad and put some cut up chicken on it.  I always have a salad mix in the fridge ready to go.  It has romaine, spinach, red cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and any other veggie you want to throw in there.  Way more entertaining to eat then just lettuce.  You can get creative with your salad dressings as well, hummus and salsa being two of my favorite.  I sometimes add in slivered almonds and some avocado as well.  That meal tends to fill me up nicely and I can run/bike about an hour or so after it with no problems.

Another idea is soup of course.  Made from scratch if you can.  But maybe a lentil based soup.  That should keep you full for a while.  Then there is chili.  A lot of my lunches are leftovers from the night before.  If you plan your supper to have leftovers you'll always have a quick lunch, assuming you have access to a microwave.

^^^This^^^

I cook some chicken breast and occassionaly some taco meat to be used during the week.  Keep a few heads of romain or a box of baby greens along with some sort of cheese (white), avacado and I am good for lunch.  I pick most of it up at Costco for cheap.

2011-01-15 9:16 AM

Chicken, avocado, cucumbers, tomatoes.  I eat it at least 3 times a week.  Can be a good sandwich or you can put it in a wrap to feel fancy if you want.
2011-01-15 1:11 PM

Veteran
Indiana
I've got two basic lunches:

One is a salad. Usually mixed greens or romaine, chopped veggies, usually feta cheese; often olives and/or artichoke hearts. My favorite dressing is 1 part olive oil, 2 parts balsamic vinegar, 2 parts tomato juice, and just a bit of dijon mustard.

For convenience I usually chop a 2-3 days worth of salad veggies at once. Radishes, onion, cucumber, celery, and colored peppers. I also keep shredded carrots around.

The other one is kind of a flip burrito. Spray a bit of cooking spray into a hot pan and throw in a whole wheat tortilla. When it's browned, flip it and sprinkle with cheese. Fat free refried beans on one side, onions and jalapenos, bit of taco seasoning. Flip the "empty" side over on top of the side with the beans and stuff.

If you need more protein, you can throw some chicken or fish in to either one of these.

Edited by alath 2011-01-15 1:15 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lunch Food ideas Rss Feed