General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming - What am I doing wrong/right? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-11 9:45 PM

Subject: Swimming - What am I doing wrong/right?
Can you swimmers please take a look at my swimming technique and give me any observations you can make. Please feel free to be as honest as you will because I have no coach and it's hard to evaluate my own style when I don't have the knowledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn2j2inHNCs

Thanks

2011-01-12 1:20 AM
in reply to: #3293783

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital
Subject: RE: Swimming - What am I doing wrong/right?
From the limited footage I would say that you are cutting you stroke short and you are crossing the midline every stroke. Reach to your outer srokes on both sides during the recovery phase and stretch longer into the pull. You should brush off your hips in the recoevery phase. Check out the drills this site has to offer. They will address your concerns.
Good luck.
Cheers.
2011-01-12 1:31 AM

Thank you. I will concentrate on all you mentioned and hope to eventually improve. I might post updated footage once I think I've mastered the stroke.
2011-01-12 1:57 AM

User image

Regular

Looks like you're opening up your chest once your stroke is in recovery - which is flattening your body as you do a hand entry. Your arm is probably going too wide.

Your hand is also higher than your elbows on the recovery and looks like it enters flat with your forearms entering the water at the same time as your hand.

Might help to think: be at a 45 degree angle with your body in the water, front hand extended outwards, bring your recovery arm, think of a string attached to your elbow from the sky (like a puppet). Move only that elbow with your forearms and hands relaxed, with the rest of the body relaxed. Then the moment your hand is at your forehead, enter the water with your middle finger first, and rotate, releasing the opposite hip.

This is a good visual. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dJs0ToB_z4

Edited by daharryone 2011-01-12 1:58 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming - What am I doing wrong/right? Rss Feed