General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The big "funk".... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-09 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: The big "funk"....
If you talked to me 2 weeks ago I was on a high. I made big progress in running and cycling. I took an FTP in computrainer class and came out in the following classes comfortable working above those numbers. Then last week a couple of things changed:

1. I got sick, I had to take a few days off training all together and miss a computrainer class
2. After I got sick I discontinued a suplement I was taking. K2

After a week I'm still struggling. I still have a slight cough and some congestion. I'm back to training but it's frustrating. I'm having big trouble working at my FTP in computrainer, and my run paces are slower or much more labored. The numbers are all right there in my face. Maybe I'm not back in the game mentally either.

Everyone is probably different getting over being sick so I'm not going to ask the question how long till I'm back. I guess I'm more venting than anything.

I was on the K2 more for a friend who was selling it. I didn't think I was gaining anything while taking it, but is it possible I'm losing some fitness coming off it????..... weird. Or, is this all just me being sick? Did I peak, get sick, and now digress?

I tend to drive myself crazy reflecting on this crap! Maybe, that's why I'm not back mentally either. I got a cold last year around the same time and something similar happened. I literally did an FTP and ended up with the same number after an 8 week course that should have given me big gains. Is it reasonable being sick can take that much out of you? With sinus and allergy problems I get sick more often than most. I don't know how I'd ever improve if I get sick every year like this.

One positive note was I had a breakthrough swim. Even as I was coughing under water and breathing in flem I managed to swim some 100's and 200's in less than a 2min/100 pace during my sets. ( a big breakthrough for me)

2011-02-09 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3347040

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: The big "funk"....

i looked up k2 and it is a vitamin that claims to aid bone strength.

I do not think this supplement is affecting you performance in any way.

You probably lost more energy than you thought from being sick.

Also, fitness is not linear. it has ebbs and flows. You were having a great week, then got sick. don't stress over it. 2 weeks illness will not negate all your fitness gains.

Embrace the swim gains and build on that.

2011-02-09 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
You have to earn it every day. It feels great to build and see results but if you get too focused on constant PR and feedback, you can get into a bunch of "funk"

You get back into it when you get out of bed or off the couch and put in the work to improve.
2011-02-09 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3347237

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Nipper - 2011-02-09 1:03 PM

Also, fitness is not linear. it has ebbs and flows. You were having a great week, then got sick. don't stress over it. 2 weeks illness will not negate all your fitness gains.

thanks!

this is what I was taking exactly : http://www.medikorlabs.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MenaquinG...

they make claims of big cardio gains. My friend, who is selling it, is also doing VO2 max and power testing with it at University of Chicago. From what he says, all the test subjects are seeing very nice gains. Who knows, I bought it more to help him out. I didn't see any side effects in research so it was a WTF type of thing.
2011-02-09 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
If its any concilation I feel your pain brother. I had an outstanding 13 mile trail race on 1-22, fell right back into my intermediate marathon training plan, got sick a week later, and now I'm trying to dig myself out of a funk that started affecting me physically but is now in my head as well. Its helped me to have people tell me  to drop  back and punt, regroup and give it another push. So thats what Ill say to you. Good luck
2011-02-09 3:29 PM

The Woodlands, TX
I'm currently in the midst of the funk! 4 weeks into my IM  plan ,Got sick last monday evening and it knocked me on my rear tues-friday. No training whats so ever... Tried to run 30 mins saturday on the TM, I say tried because it was more of a run\walk. Had the hardest time getting into a groove and breathing was hard. Sunday off, Monday bike and swim, tuesday bike, today bike and swim. Still havent gotten out to run, still coughing up crap and any hard efforts on the bike I could feel in my chest. I read an article saying that the cholorine can irritate any chest\cough. I believe it, after my swim on Monday I've been coughing more since late last week. So what am I going to do...yep try to swim again tonight! Good Luck..I feel like i'm never gonig to get the fitness back that I lost from a week off of serious training. I know thats ridicoulous thinking, but its hard not to think that.

2011-02-09 6:11 PM
in reply to: #3347276

Meulen - 2011-02-09 1:17 PM
Nipper - 2011-02-09 1:03 PM

thanks! this is what I was taking exactly : http://www.medikorlabs.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MenaquinG... they make claims of big cardio gains. My friend, who is selling it, is also doing VO2 max and power testing with it at University of Chicago. From what he says, all the test subjects are seeing very nice gains. Who knows, I bought it more to help him out. I didn't see any side effects in research so it was a WTF type of thing.

I don't believe I would be spending money on or ingesting an unregulated, untested nutritional supplement manufactured in India.  You literally have no idea what is in those capsules.
2011-02-09 7:56 PM

User image

"The only bad day was yesterday."  Isn't that how the saying goes?..

I've been on so many "funky" days that I can't even count how many times I've gotten knocked down.  Each time though, I get up and I do it again... and again... and again.  It's how I approach my 'funks.'  Take the punches, roll with them and keep movin' the next day. 

OOH-RAHH!
2011-02-09 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
There is a nasty bug going around now. My wife was down for almost two weeks. Cough, body aches, etc. Took a long time for her to get better and then some time for her to feel back to normal. Don't worry, be patient. Make sure you are healthy.
2011-02-09 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I hate to say it's part of training but... Damn! I just said it. Don't worry, you'll get over it. Getting sick can really take it out of you, just keep going and in a week you'll be back to your old self.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The big "funk".... Rss Feed