General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finding Freestyle - Float and Paddle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-10 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Subject: Finding Freestyle - Float and Paddle

Based on our web traffic, I believe there are a bunch of you out in cyberspace right now who are going through the Week 1 workouts of Finding Freestyle.  One of the two fundamental drills we introduce is the Float and Paddle.  We filmed some additional video to further illustrate what we are going for, and what you may be experiencing.

https://sites.google.com/site/passivetechnique/passive-technique-blog/floatandpaddle-deconstructed

Let me know if this helps. 

As an aside, this is also an activity that can help to diagnose and prevent shoulder pain.  At the volume we are swimming as triathletes, true overuse injurys should be few and far between.  Swimmers shoulder and rotator cuff issues are almost always going to be a by-product of too much shoulder articulation, either overhead or crossing the centerline.

2011-02-10 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3348538

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Finding Freestyle - Float and Paddle
Great video and very helpful Dave and Robert.
2011-02-10 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Dave,

Don't mean to put you on the spot, but can you explain how the motions of a baseball player swinging a bat relates to swimming? Your narrator says, "the primary motivating force is twisting from the torso, core strength, like swinging a baseball bat".  I feel I personally understand what swimming using your core is, and that's not it. So school me a little.

Also, swimming 101 teaches you to keep your body straight while swimming, so why is your example bending at the torso so much?

Edited by tjfry 2011-02-10 4:07 PM
2011-02-10 11:02 PM
in reply to: #3349364

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Consider swinging a baseball bat to be more of a simile than a metaphor and hopefully it will make more sense.  To hit a baseball, the power comes from the core but is delivered by the bat, like a swimmer who develops power through rotation (the twisting of the torso) but delivers it through the arms.

My example seems to be bending excessively because he is twisting his torso and little else, as the drill requires.

He is doing almost the exact same twisting motion once he moves to the water, but with the addition of minimal shoulder and elbow articulation, there is nothing 'un-straight' about his swimming.

This is a great drill to teach swimmers to utilize their core strength with many peripheral benefits as well.

I have experienced people swimming faster than they ever have before immediately upon "getting" this drill.  And that is doing the drill itself, with no kicking, moving through the water driving the arms with simple twisting motion. Powerful stuff.

Not sure of the exact curriculum in Swimming 101, but I am reasonably certain it is the failures inherent in a "diagnose and cure" approach to coaching that has directly contributed to over 100 swimmers finding our Passive Technique based Finding Freestyle program in the first few months.  And to use another baseball metaphor...we are still batting a thousand in regards to making every one of them faster.    *knocks wood*
2011-02-11 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I'm doing the program, and I can attest to the effectiveness of this drill for me.  (n=1 of course)  It enabled me, among other things, to feel what it means to engage my core in swimming much better than I had before.

(On the other hand, that SoL drill is just a cruel joke designed to prove that I can't kick.)
2011-02-11 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3349921

User image

Veteran
SC

(On the other hand, that SoL drill is just a cruel joke designed to prove that I can't kick.)

Week 1 of the advanced plan has you doing 8x25 SoL w/o STROKES as part of the warm up.  No arm pulls, no board, no nuttin' but kicking.  Oh you do get to change the arm you hold out in front....I guess that's something.  I sent Rob an email after that wrkt to let him know how much fun that was. 

2011-02-11 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3349779

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Dave Luscan - 2011-02-10 11:02 PM Consider swinging a baseball bat to be more of a simile than a metaphor and hopefully it will make more sense.  To hit a baseball, the power comes from the core but is delivered by the bat, like a swimmer who develops power through rotation (the twisting of the torso) but delivers it through the arms.

My example seems to be bending excessively because he is twisting his torso and little else, as the drill requires.

He is doing almost the exact same twisting motion once he moves to the water, but with the addition of minimal shoulder and elbow articulation, there is nothing 'un-straight' about his swimming.

This is a great drill to teach swimmers to utilize their core strength with many peripheral benefits as well.

I have experienced people swimming faster than they ever have before immediately upon "getting" this drill.  And that is doing the drill itself, with no kicking, moving through the water driving the arms with simple twisting motion. Powerful stuff.

Not sure of the exact curriculum in Swimming 101, but I am reasonably certain it is the failures inherent in a "diagnose and cure" approach to coaching that has directly contributed to over 100 swimmers finding our Passive Technique based Finding Freestyle program in the first few months.  And to use another baseball metaphor...we are still batting a thousand in regards to making every one of them faster.    *knocks wood*

Day didn't turn out how I hoped so I don't have time to comment at length, but you might want to watch the video again, as he is not twisting at all. Rotating? yes. Twisting? Sorry. Hips and shoulders are in line at all times. I will circle back later...

Swimming 101 is not a curriculum. I was referring to swimming 101, as in economics 101, spanish 101, etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finding Freestyle - Float and Paddle Rss Feed