General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Road Bike purchase Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-11 8:56 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Beginner Road Bike purchase
Hello BTs, 

I would like to ask your opinion on the following:

I'm joining the TRI community after been a runner only and I want to buy a road bike to start. So far I have decided that: 

1. Budget: $ 1.500
2. Aluminium
3. Group: 105 or Apex

I found the Allez Comp Compact M2 Apex 2011 is a good buy!

But, I know I can get a decent carbon bike with the same group for $ 200-300 more.

So:

First, are there other good options out there for the Aluminium purchase? and second, is the carbon worth the upgrade? third, can you share/recommend online retailers?

Thank you very much!    

2011-02-11 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3350103

Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Beginner Road Bike purchase
The Allex Comp isn't just a good bike, its as good as you are likely to ever own, and better than pretty much any generic carbon bike would be. So if that is your budget, that is a great choice. The Allez frame has MIT bike guru engineers behind it. Weight/stiffness etc are top notch.

You could go a lot cheaper and still have a wonderful bike!

2011-02-11 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3350294

User image

New user

Thank you Jack! I'm going to check a good web to get it!
2011-02-11 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3350103

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Carbon isn't an "upgrade" over alumnium. I have ridden sh1tty carbon bikes, and sh1tty aluminum ones. Find the bike that has a fit and ride you like, and buy it--the material is secondary.
2011-02-11 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3351401

User image

New user

Rocker, I would love to understand what you say about finding the bike that has a fit and ride I like but I honestly don't know what that feels like! But I guess is like what I felt when I first started running and didn't know what kind of shoes I liked. 

Found a good store in Miami to order the specialized! I'll have your advise in mind for the second bike ^^v 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Road Bike purchase Rss Feed