General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm new, looking for beginning-intermediate training buddies in Boston area! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-21 2:49 PM

Subject: I'm new, looking for beginning-intermediate training buddies in Boston area!
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the wonderful world of Triathlons and wanted to say hello.  I'm hoping to do the Urban Epic in August, and maybe one or two other time trials/indoor sprints before then.  I have always been fairly good at endurance sports, especially swimming, but really want to experience a triathlon and make sure I get the proper training.  I'm a pretty good runner but not as motivated to go out on long runs   As far as biking goes, I commute via bike in the spring/summer/fall, but have never done a road race.  I currently have a full-sized Dahon, so not necessarily a great bike for racing.

I've already looked over some of the sample workouts. They look really helpful, but I'm wondering if they might be too "easy" for someone who works out regularly?  What are your thoughts?

If anyone is from the Boston area and in a similar boat, I'd love to meet up!  I'm a member of Commonwealth Sports Club (the gym), which has a pool, and have some guest passes to use up on a potential training buddy or two.  Any advice on general training, equipment, etc. is much appreciated too...thanks!!

Yifan

2011-02-22 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3365573

Subject: RE: I'm new, looking for beginning-intermediate training buddies in Boston area!
Hi, I'm in almost the exact same position.  I was a swimmer years ago and that is ofcourse is the best aspect of my triathathlon.  I started on the couch to Sprint workout schedule to get me moving. Most of the working out I had done before was weight lifting.  I've since modified the workout to fit my level of fitness.  I can email you my workouts if you want.  Contact me at Joshua.E.Taylor@uscg
2011-02-26 9:58 AM

User image

Leominster
Subject: RE: I'm new, looking for beginning-intermediate training buddies in Boston area!
Yifan and Joshua,

Welcome to triathlon! Check out Triumph Triathlon. We are a community of triathletes from beginners to experts. We have a group in Boston and in Central Mass. It's free to join.

-Jon

Triumph Triathlon in Boston

Triumph Triathlon in Central MA

2011-02-26 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Welcome to this wonderful world. To answer your question, it all depends on what you looking to get out of it. Sprints are good, but it requires a lot of anaerobic energy so if your great at the higher end of your HR zones then sprints are great.  Olympics are similar to sprints but require more aerobic as it's a little longer race. It really all depends on what you're limiters are.  Anyway, welcome to the world. I also suggest hooking up to a team.  As they are always there to help and motivate you as well. 

www.baystatetriteam.com is a great team if you're looking for something in the southern Mass area.

Good Luck! 
2011-03-04 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlestown

Hey Yifan!

Welcome! Triathlons have been such a positive influence on my life since I started training and racing, I'm always so happy to see when new people catch the "bug"!  I'm the founder and head coach of a team based out of Boston called Zoom Multisport.  Our mission is to provide affordable, low-commitment triathlon training to people in Boston that are looking to compete in tris without giving up the other aspects of their life.  We're a really fun group that likes the social aspect that a team brings to a very individual sport.

My coaching company also just launched a new program called Challenge 11 - it sounds like you'd be a perfect fit! The idea is to get a group of 11 first time triathletes across their first finish line in 2011.  The target race is Urban Epic too!  Check out the details here:

www.bostontriathloncoach.com/challenge-11/

Best of luck!

Jonathan

2011-04-06 6:53 PM

User image

Expert

Welcome to BT, and the wonderful world of triathlon. Well it's good to hear that you're good at endurance as I'm sure triathlon will be an easy transition. I'm glad to hear that you commute by bike, although commuting by bike can be helpful you'll need to increase your cadence and heart rate. What's the normal distance you commute? How fast do you go? Running after a bike is a weird feeling. Make sure you do a couple of those to see what your legs will feel like. When you do back to back training they are called bricks. Also, try to do a swim to bike brick. Will be easier when you can try do some open water swim's around the area. You're HR will be a little high, but the recovery of the heart from the swim will be around 20-30 beats lowers, so you'll need to practice biking at a higher heart rate. Well both of those things take some time getting used to. Remember to get some volume in, and make each workout accountable. Well, good luck on your events. Look into getting into total immersion swimming as that's the best and more efficient way to swim for a triathlon. Good Luck!

Scott

Scott

2011-04-06 9:09 PM

Thanks guys!  Great tips.  Definitely need to get more brick workouts in.

I'm not sure how fast I bike but these days my commute is only about 5 miles roundtrip, though if I go to the gym on the way home it's longer..

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm new, looking for beginning-intermediate training buddies in Boston area! Rss Feed