General Discussion Race Reports! » Fight For Air Stair Climb - Springfield IL Hilton Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fight For Air Stair Climb - Springfield IL Hilton - RunOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Illinois
United States
American Lung Association
Sunny
Total Time = 47h 13m
Overall Rank = 39/39
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:00 a.m., made a breakfast of a scrambled egg w/ green peppers, onion & hash browns & water to drink. Then it was a trip to the fire department to pick up my turnout gear & airpacks and on to the Springfield Hilton.
Event warmup:

Not much, just a lot of nervous pacing.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I particpated in the Ultimate Climb which is going up the Hilton as many times as you can in 1 hour. Also, I did it in full firefighter turnout gear and airpack. Full gear & airpack typically weighs 65 some pounds. Two other firefighters from my department participated in this climb too.

My first trip up was in 12:38. I thought I had trained well, although I didn't train with the additional weight I was carrying. I started out trying for a 5 minute climb, which I thought was reasonable. After the first few flights it was just about making it to the top. I became light headed & a little dizzy. After resting, it was climb 4 floors, take a brake at the water stations.

When I got down to the bottom, I took my time to regain my senses and cool down. Heat was an issue since turnout gear doesn't breathe.

After getting some bad information that one of my firefighter brothers dropped his gear & went back up, I dropped the airpack & helmet and went up for my second climb. My time was 16:32. This climb went better & I had some company, the other firefighter from my department. This climb was better since I had someone to climb with. He was still in full gear so we stopped when he needed to and it worked out well for me.

The third and last trip I dropped my coat and my time was 18:03. I was still climbing with one firefighter & he had not dropped anything.

At the top, our hour was done & we got out finisher's medals, my first one. Taking time to get his senses back, I walked to the windows & looked out over Springfield. The view was worth it.

We went back on the elevator & met my family. I am very proud of my accomplishment. This time last year I began to become physically active. I have never completed a 5k or even something like a stair climb. Since then, my wife & I have participated in several 5k's, walking, but still participating. We will be running them this year.
What would you do differently?:

Train harder & train more. It was a lot more taxing on me than what I thought. I knew it was going to be tough, but it was a punch in the gut after the first few flights.

Train on mental endurance & mental toughness. I listened to the wrong person after my first climb. If I would have looked, I would have noticed that the other firefighter's gear was not on the floor but on him.

Figure out how to cope with the heat or something to help keep my core cooler.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, drank some water & looked at the view 30 floors up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness, core heat.

Event comments:

In it's second year, this race was awesome. Volunteers were great, there was plenty of drink stations - every 4th floor. You knew what was going on and when. The volunteers were very encouraging.

Overall a wonderful race. It was funny, at one of the drink stations towards the top, one of the volunteers said, "you are just about there!" I replied they said that at the last drink station. I thought it was hilarious.

Last updated: 2011-02-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/39
Performance: Good
Course: The couse was the Springfield, Illinois Hilton Hotel. It consisted of 32 floors.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-02-27 9:18 AM

New user
Subject: Fight For Air Stair Climb - Springfield IL Hilton

2011-02-27 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3374170

New user
Subject: RE: Fight For Air Stair Climb - Springfield IL Hilton
From your wife....You did an amazing job!  I am so proud of your accomplishment.  You have come so far in the last year and have met your first goal of 2011. As far as listening to the wrong person, don't worry about it. You know for the next time. 
2011-02-28 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3374219

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Fight For Air Stair Climb - Springfield IL Hilton

Great job! I saw this on the news very inspiring!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fight For Air Stair Climb - Springfield IL Hilton Rss Feed