General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weak Shoulders? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-14 6:03 PM

User image

Subject: Weak Shoulders?
Hey everyone, (I tend to ramble a bit)

I'm about to re-join my local YMCA, and one thing that's bothered me off and on - esp. when I was working out last year - has been my shoulders. I *think* the problem is my shoulders. Allow me to explain...

Usually on my day off from lifting, my elbows (esp. my right one) would ache. It would be a dull, constant ache that would last all day. Sometimes, my shoulder would feel like it was just going to slip out of place or something and I thought that it might have something to do with my elbows hurting.

I wasn't doing any type of exercise that would strengthen my shoulders per say, just typical chest, bicep and tricep exercises. phoenixazul who used to swim in high school had shoulder problems because often, swimmers have under developed shoulders but overdeveloped arms from the type of motion they go through.

Any thoughts?

2005-08-15 1:13 AM
in reply to: #224996

User image

Regular
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Weak Shoulders?
My shoulders were bad, still are a bit. I have loose AC joints. DId you swim a lot b4? are you now? The shoulder story is true, and you need to strenghthen the shoulders with a thera band usually. I also take glucosamine to help cartialge and lubrication in the joints. It goes away but only if you really try. Ide see a P.T. if i were you.
2005-08-15 11:06 PM
in reply to: #225188

User image

Veteran
Montreal
uwmswimr - 2005-08-15 2:13 AM

My shoulders were bad, still are a bit. I have loose AC joints. DId you swim a lot b4? are you now? The shoulder story is true, and you need to strenghthen the shoulders with a thera band usually. I also take glucosamine to help cartialge and lubrication in the joints. It goes away but only if you really try. Ide see a P.T. if i were you.

I also have had shoulder pains for the past 10 years (Iam now 25) due to swimming. Did countless hours of physio, chiro, and many other relatively unknown types of sports therapy. I've seen many athletes come an go during my physio sessions but I always remaind.

LOng story short, if you are starting to feel pain, get it checked out right now. Most probably a bit of PT and strength training will do the trick.

About the glocusamine, you say it worked well, how much were you taking? I would like to try that. i did once but would always forget to take the stuff.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be feeling great in no time
2005-08-18 1:30 AM

Expert
Brisbane
I suffer the same fate. (DAM Parents give me dodgy shoulders) Anyhoo, I have sort various therapy for the problems associated, such as AC pain, torn rotator cuff, overuse etc, but there is something that can be done.

1. Strenghten the sholuder joint- my PT gave me a large band to use to rotate the shoulder and control the movement. Sort of like a stop action bent at 90 degrees and rotate forward from 90 degrees. Stengthens the rotator cuff.

2. Work on the muscles between your shoulder blades. this is a weak point for many shoulder weak people. It is basically an under developed trapesius muscle that runs between your blades. Put a swiss ball against the wall at eye height, hold it there with your arm and extend from your upper back concentrating on using the muscles between your shoulder blades. Its a tough exercise, but it may help develop those muscles.

Good luck

Edited by Downunderman 2005-08-18 1:30 AM
2005-08-29 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
Have had similar issues. I need to do "straight arm frontal dumbell raises" in the gym to stabilise some lazy rotator cuff muscles.
2005-08-29 11:39 PM
in reply to: #237085

User image

Regular
Milwaukee, WI
I take 500mg 2 times a day. It takes a few weeks or longer to feel it though. And youll be like...hmmmm....i dont hurt as bad anymore. Its not a cure but it helps with the therapy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weak Shoulders? Rss Feed