General Discussion Race Reports! » Luck of the Irish Winter Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Luck of the Irish Winter Championships - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hartland, Wisconsin
United States
RACC
Total Time = 19m 36s
Overall Rank = 21/406
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and drove out to the race site. Ate Peanut Butter sandwich and a banana on the way.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little inside. Headed out to the start line about 4 minutes before the start.
Run
  • 19m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I started close to the front this time so I would not be caught behind people. The gun went off and I was doing a good pace. There was a short distance before the first turnaround. When we made the turn I noticed I had a group of about 5-10 people right on my heels. I thought they were gaining and were going to pass me, but they never did. I just kept pushing. Did keep hearing someone right behind me and looked over my shoulder because they seems very close, but didn't see anything. Then I realized it was my race bib that I had attached to my belt clip that had twisted to my back. I turned it back to my front a couple times during the race, but it kept twisting around to my back.

We got on the walking path and I saw it going downhill. It didn't seem all that steep. Then we turned a corner and I saw the big part of the hill. going down was not bad but I kept thinking "I'll have to run up this later"!

At the 1 mile marker I was at 6:04! I have never gone out that fast. Looking back, the downhill must have helped, but I was still feeling pretty good. Thought the 20:00 barrier was possible. Kept pushing myself to keep up the pace. It was a struggle, but felt I could keep it up. Just before the turnaround there was a bit of an uphill and I just powered up it. At the turnaround we were at 1.65 miles and only 10:00. I thought the 20:00 was very possible so I pushed harder.

On the way back I was in a zone. My wife said she called to me, but I never heard her. Pete called to me and I heard him, but I didn't see him. Saw Kevin & Tamara from Emery's running the other direction so I gave a little waive, but couldn't say anything.

Glanced at my watch at the 2 mile point which was right before the big hill and I was going a 5:54 pace. Amazing. I know the hill slowed me down but I didn't want to look at the watch to see how much. I just kept powering up the hill as much as I could.

At the top of the walking path the flat road lookd good. There was a short jog to the right before a u-turn to go back to the parking lot and the finish line. At the turn around I was going to turn on more juice and push with everything I had left. I tried but there was not much left to push. I just kept going.

I got in the parking lot and saw the clock was still in the high 18's. I didn't know how far it was around the parking lot so even though I was giving all I had, I dug down and got a little more. Gave more than I thought I had through to the finish.

Previous best time was 20:01. Was working to break 20:00 for some time. Official time of 19:36 beat my previous best by 25 seconds! In a 5k, really? That is a lot to shave off a 5k.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Great race. Could not be happier.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back along the course until I saw my wife and ran with her until just before the finish line. Then we walked back to get a jacket she dropped along the course. Stretched when we got back inside.

Had to wait a long time for the results as they were having some trouble.

Finally saw the results and figured I had held on the 2nd in the AG for the overall series standings. Stuck around for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Faster? You want me to go faster? Well, OK, but I'll enjoy this one first.

Last updated: 2011-01-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:36 | 03.11 miles | 06m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 21/406
Performance: Good
Course: Streets by the school then a walking path to another subdivision and back. Large hill at the end of the path and the first part of the subivision. Downhill on the way in and uphill on the way back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-03-20 12:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Subject: Luck of the Irish Winter Championships

2011-03-20 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3405506

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Luck of the Irish Winter Championships
DUDE....Super race and way to blow out that 20' mark!
2011-03-20 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3405506

Subject: RE: Luck of the Irish Winter Championships
Nice work out there.  I must have been close to you for most of the race since my first mile split was 6:06 and we finished 8 sec. apart.  I, too, broke 20 for the first time. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Luck of the Irish Winter Championships Rss Feed