LeXenomics
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 43s
Overall Rank = 281/668
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 43/60
Pre-race routine:

Ate a cliff bar and brewed coffee at home before driving the hour and half to Lexington with my brother who was kind enough to keep me company.
Event warmup:

Waiting in line in the vistor center bathroom. At least it was heated!
Run
  • 1h 59m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Had an unspoken goal of breaking two hours. Previous best was 2:04 last year.

Turn the RunKeeper app on, but stuffed it in my pocket. I was just going by feel. I knew that 9" miles would mean a fairly significant faster pace than my average training runs. So I focused on consistently checking in with myself to see if I felt I was slowing.

Near the halfway point I pulled the phone out of my pocket and it said I was on a 9:11 pace. Knowing that it was going to be close, I figured I would continue at the same pace (or as close as possible) duing the next 4 miles, knowing there were a few significant uphills left, and then pick up the pace in the last 3 miles.

Forgot about the steep uphill inside the park in the last mile, but it didn't matter as I ratcheted up the pace just a hair, and particularly in the last half mile.

I broke 2 hours by 17 seconds. Still not a "fast" runner, but losing a few pounds and higher trailing twelve months of volume sure have paid off. On a flat course like Indy, I think I could shave a few more minutes off.
What would you do differently?:

Well, I wasn't dying at the end of the race, so I'm sure I could have pushed it even harder.
Post race
Warm down:

My brother was there at the finish line and told me he had bought me a mocha on his way back to the park. I don't think there's a better post race recover drink!

Event comments:

This race is still in its infancy. It has the advantage of an absolutely beautiful setting. Some stretches of the race are fairly desolate (in terms of entertainment or fans) in comparison to other half marathons, but it wasn't an issue for me. Felt like a fun, and hard training run with 700 of my closest friends.

Last updated: 2011-01-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/60
Overall: 281/668
Performance: Good
Course: The course circled around the horse park before heading out along Ironworks towards the Fasig-Tipton auction facility. Unbelievably gorgeous spring day with views of some wonderful horse farms.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes