Threshold Racing Inc.
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 52s
Overall Rank = 110/287
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/42
Pre-race routine:

Packed up the night before to make sure I had everything. First race of the year, so needed to remind myself of what I bring to the race. At some point, I need to remember to write it all down so I have my own checklist. Got to race site early, got good spot in transition, and set up. Good thing this year, didn't forget anything.
Event warmup:

Not much of one. Tried to stretch some. Got into my wetsuit and down to start area.
Swim
  • 33m 42s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very disappointed in this swim. Really worked hard in the pool over the winter and had seen a good improvement in swim over that time. This swim was over 2 minutes slower than last year, same event. Got out of the water and had a "WTF" moment. Was really upset about this performance. Swim is in a reservoir so current should be minimal, however felt like maybe there was some current against us on second half? Lots of rain this year, so might be draining reservoir, thus creating current?
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps issue was partly navigation. Thought I was sighting alright, especially in first part. Maybe on the second third of the swim got off course some, but didn't think it was that far off. Other issue is needing to swim more in wetsuit. That can always use more work.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Average T1. Almost same time as last year. Suit always hard to get off feet.

Until I get down to seconds really mattering for me, this isn't a huge issue for me, quite frankly.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Last year was very happy with about this same time. So, I guess this year should be happy with more or less same time, with perhaps more difficult conditions. Was very angry with myself coming out of the water, so was riding a little angry at the start. There was some headwind starting out and on finishing stretch. Converse were some very fast tailwind sections too. This was first race on the tri bike, very much enjoyed racing on that bike. Really think I feel the benefit of the bike in the headwinds.

Not much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Decent transition. Got all my stuff together and out on the road. As with above, overall, could I save a minute total in transition? Probably. But not sure its a huge issue for me at this point.
Run
  • 50m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run for me. Took around 2 minutes off time from last year. Felt much better at the end than last year. Was looking at my watch to see if I could beat time from last year and was able to close out the run strong to do it.

Needed to drink more of my gatorade on the bike. Got a gu about 2 mile mark that picked me up for the rest of the run. Maybe was a little tapped out before that.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugs from family, the best way to finish a race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim. Was hoping that I could do swim in 30 minutes. Need to improve that leg.

Event comments:

Had optimistic plan to do 2:30. Plan went out the window with poor swim. I think the conditions did not allow for me to take 2-3 minutes off of bike leg. Happy with how bike went and with run. Wanted to take 2-3 minutes off each leg, only did it with run. Still improved time from last year, albeit by only 6 seconds. Most importantly, had a great time. Really reminded again how much I like racing. Its only against myself for the most part, but do enjoy it.

This is a well organized event. Its not as large as the Morgan Hill Sprint in May, so transition area is less crowded. I also really like the racks they use at this event. They aren't the bar that everyone hangs their bike on, rather there are individual slots to slide the back wheel in. Creates a natural area for stuff.

This is a pretty club heavy event. Not a negative at all, but creates a little different vibe for the event.

Last updated: 2011-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:42 | 1640 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/287
Performance:
Suit: Full
Course: Starts in deep water. Goes out around a headland then back around to the other side of the starting area.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:33 | 24.85 miles | 20.84 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: One good climb, one moderate climb. Second half is flat or downhill and fast.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:16 | 06.21 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back with one bump just before turnaround. Means we got to do it twice!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-18 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: Reservoir Triathlon

2011-04-19 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3453429

Subject: RE: Reservoir Triathlon
Don't beat yourself up over the swim, use it as motivation. Great job on the rankings you were in the faster half of the age group. Congrats on the new ride. Did you post pics??
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reservoir Triathlon Rss Feed