Ironman
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 11m 22s
Overall Rank = 1074/2224
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 89/186
Pre-race routine:

Woke up several times during the night and finally about 2 minutes before my alarm went off at 4 am I watched my watch tick down. Ate a peanut butter sandwich, yogurt and had a couple cups of coffee. My friends Ryan (bigr82) and Annie picked me up at 5.
Event warmup:

None. Got transition set up and found out the swim was cancelled due to high winds. I was kind of bummed but kind of relieved since the waves on Saturday were 3 feet and I don't have anywhere to practice in that kind of chop. Ryan and I went for a swim Saturday and it was rough. We couldn't see each other and we were about 10 feet away. I wasn't worried about drowning or finishing at all, but I wasn't looking forward to a really long swim and swallowing nasty lake water.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was cancelled making this race a 69.1 instead of 70.3
What would you do differently?:

Swim?
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Fastest T1 ever!
Bike
  • 2h 53m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride was a lot of fun. The time seemed to fly by and until my rear got sore about mile 40, I was wishing the ride wouldn't end at 56 miles. The ride was crowded due to the TT start so it was impossible to adhere to the drafting rules, but I did the best I could.

My nutrition was good and I executed the bottle hand off well. I slowed down, ditched my old bottle on the way in then picked my volunteer, pointed to them and said "you, water" then made sure to thank them. The volunteers were awesome at all the aid stations on the bike and the run.

Buy a TT bike and race wheels? I wish. Bring a back pack and pick up a bunch of insulated water bottles that were ejected on the big bumps?
Transition 2
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Fairly large transition area so I'm happy with my time. I was surprised there were people laying down by their bikes resting. They probably passed me on the run anyway.
Run
  • 2h 15m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good coming off the bike and did the first 5k in under 28 minutes. I drank some water and Perform at every aid station and had a GU about mile 3 or 4. After that things went down hill. My hips and back got progressivly tighter and more achy and my stomach said no more food or liquid. I didn't feel well for the rest of the race.

The next 4.5 miles were 10 minute miles and the last 5+ miles were 12 minute miles.

Take some salt at hour 3 on the bike (I did at hour 1 and 2). Only drink water and eat GU on the run and take more salt after the first hour.
Post race
Warm down:

I was out of it after the run. I found my family and sat down then felt like I was gonna blow. I walked around and found somewhere I could get sick and not gross too many people out. I didn't get sick but it was close. Went back to the family then left again, same drill. After about a half hour my periphreal vision came back which is when I realized I had tunnel vision. After about an hour I felt human again and had a beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition? Maybe core and hip strength? I wasn't breathing hard on the run at all but I couldn't get my legs to go any faster after the first 5k. I did have salt caked on my shorts when I was done.

Event comments:

Well run event, awesome volunteers, great city to race in. Everyone we talked too was very nice.

Last updated: 2010-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/186
Overall: 0/2224
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:20 | 56 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 83/186
Overall: 0/2224
Performance: Good
My hr monitor quit working right before the race so I went by RPE. Luckily I pay attention to RPE during training so it wasn't a big deal.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The start was a TT start with two riders leaving every 2 seconds. Very flat except for some overpasses. The wind on the way out was a strong 20+ mph head wind. Made for a nice ride back! There were a few serious bumps. They were well marked but still had plenty of water bottle carnage after each one. NOPD and others were at every intersection and did a great job keeping the course clear.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal