United States
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 23s
Overall Rank = 167/195
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at mom's house, had my normal bagel and banana and drove the 25 minutes to the race. I brought 3 different clothing options and couldn't decide to the last minute which to wear. It POURED the night before but was only overcast and 40s in the morning. Thankfully no rain, and it was expected to warm up to 60s and sunny during the race.
Event warmup:

None - just set up transition and waited for my number to be called.
Swim
  • 05m 33s
  • 219 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Have been working on my swim, and tried to concentrate on swimming smooooothly. Felt pretty comfortable, but based on the time, I could still improve though. I was happy that I passed one person and beat my TT estimate (2:45/100).
What would you do differently?:

It's a very short swim, so didn't really have time to hit my stride. Still need to improve my technique.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Ran out of warm pool room to 45 degree temps. Tried to put on my windbreaker and zipper stuck, so I grabbed my light down jacket instead (it was the only other option). Even with all that, my T1 time was 50/195 participants so obviously others were struggling with what to wear too!

Make sure the zipper works? Also, I forgot to zip the down jacket in transition so I fumbled with that during the ride. Can't wait to see the funny race pictures with me in the puffy coat!
Bike
  • 37m 57s
  • 10.3 miles
  • 16.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Holy headwinds Batman! It was extremely stormy the night before the race. The RD had to change the course morning of because of flooding on the route, and it was significantly shorter than it was supposed to be (more like 9 miles than 10.3). Very gusty headwinds/crosswinds throughout the route - especially the last mile back to transition was rough.

I think I attack this one well - passed a few folks and I don't think I was passed at all (maybe once or twice at most).
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Felt good. Glad I laid out the long sleeved shirt for the run as it was still cold.

Had to run back and get my Garmin off the bike, but otherwise smooth.
Run
  • 39m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Obviously my run still needs work, but it has come such a long way. The first mile was tough, but I kept saying "run just to the next tree". This is my 7th tri, and I think this is a PR for a 5k tri run for me. Wanted to kick it for the last 1/3 of a mile but hit a head on blast of wind coming off the water near the finish. Still sprinted for the last 200 and finished strong.

Honestly, not much. Very happy with the time and I drank well on the run. This is probably the first tri where I felt like I could have gone faster or further and wasn't gasping to the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing beats having your kids cheer you to the finish line. Nothing. Hung out and waited for the results and found out I beat a friend who was also in the race (we have a friendly competition for bragging rights). Felt great after this race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I been working with a tri coach since January and really pushing my limits. Obviously it's paying off and I can't wait to get even faster in the future.

Event comments:

Great short early season race. T1 is cold, and the winds were tough this year, but the RD did a good job dealing with the conditions. I will definitely be back!

Last updated: 2011-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:33 | 219 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 157/195
Performance: Average
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Pool swim. Jump in, and snake swim up one lane and down the next.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:57 | 10.3 miles | 16.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 125/195
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Rolling, mostly flat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:43 | 03.11 miles | 12m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 177/195
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, around fields then out and back on a road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-20 9:56 PM

User image

Subject: RiverWinds Triathlon

2011-04-21 4:51 AM
in reply to: #3457854

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: RiverWinds Triathlon
Great job Mary Sue!  You've REALLY improved your 5K time -- I think you are now officially faster than me.  Sounds like you made some great choices for dealing with conditions.  Really proud of how hard you have been working and how consistent your workouts have been.  Keep up the fantastic work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RiverWinds Triathlon Rss Feed