General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first good news Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-28 10:21 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: My first good news

https://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=245554&posts=16&start=1

After my frustrating rant about 4weeks ago (above), I have been able to get some progress on the weight. This morning's weigh in was at 207lbs Smile I haven't been this weight in 13yrs and I still have ways to go. To put things in perspective, I was around 235+ in 09/10. You guys are real do-ers and thats been quite a motivation. With that, I have barrage of questions so just gonna put them down here rather than creating different topics.

-I have shed pounds, lost inches but there is still lot of fat on the body. It seems my muscle tone is low. Obvious answer is weight training but with limited time to train per week, I am more inclined to spend on bike/run than lifting weights. Suggestions?

-Weight can swing anywhere from 206 (after workout) to 210 (post-dinner). If I let go of diet control, it can move up pretty fast. I was in FL for 4days on vacation and let myself go.... I came back 3.5lbs heavier. WTF?! Is that normal?

-I suppose calories burned in exercise will go down as weight drops... so consumption will need to drop as well. But fitness is increasing slowly... how does this balance out generally? Does get more difficult from here-on?

35 more to go.... I can't remember last time I was at that weight. Its been too, too long.

2011-04-29 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3472619

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Subject: RE: My first good news

If you can add a swim, you will be getting a better balance of muscles getting work.

If you are doing good workouts in at least 2/3 sports, adding the swim and/or one circuit of cross-training will do a lot.

Heck, you might get a lot of bang for the buck playing on a jungle gym set before or after a run if there is one nearby.

Modified push-ups, some dips, a pull-up here or there....

All depends on you knowledge base and willingness to do those things in public.

Don't over think a few lbs here or there.

At 230, I can be anywhere between 226-234 in the same day just off of hydration and food.

That does not include the change from fat to lean mass.

I would focus not on food volume, but healthiness.

The more whole foods, the less process/empty calories that you take in will get you really far.

The other thing with getting results...

You will need to re-evaluate every 2 weeks or so.

As your fitness, weight, body composition, and diet change === so will your needs.

You won't be able to assume that what worked 2 weeks ago is what you need now.

Not that you need to do anything radical, just me mindful and don't go into cruise-control or make assumptions.

2011-04-29 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3472619

Subject: RE: My first good news

Congrats on the progress!  I was in the same boat - started the Couch 2 5K program in August at 235lbs. and ran my 5K at the end of January - 30 lbs. lighter!  You'll see the advice to "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" a lot - use it.  I started running at a 13min/mile pace and that was probably too fast.  There was something else I read in the Total Immersion book, I think, that mentioned that most fat burning occurs in at lower heart rate effort no matter what the activity as opposed to high heart rate sprint type activity.  It has worked for me right up until the last  few pounds.  The more I have exercised the more I get hungry and think " I can eat anything and burn it off" - not true.  Pay attention, better yet write down, everything you eat vs. your exercise. 

One thing I have done that helps is to eat 5-6 times a day (not large meals, but not super small either) - breakfast (cereal, orange, OJ and tomato juice); snack at 10am (handful of raw almonds); lunch (sub sandwich/salad/leftovers, etc.); snack at 3pm (almonds again); dinner; snack before bed (cheese stick, celery etc.).  This keeps me full so I don't graze on the office candy dish and it increases your metabolism - eat more often and your body doesn't see the need to store food as fat as much.

As far as strength training, I bought a cheap resistance band set from Target.  I do a core routine (Hard Core from the BT website) after I bike and a resistance band routine after I run.  I do one set only and it takes about 10-15 minutes extra.  I would like to do more but this has brought benefit without taking an additional workout.

As far as fitness balance that I have noticed - I started at a 13 min/mile run pace and now I can comfortably train at 11:30/mile.  My swimming was terrible and then one day after about 4 weeks of 3x per week swimming I swam 700m straight (never did over 50 before).  Listen to your body and don't be impatient.  Anything you are doing now is better than what you were doing.  The last thing you want to do is push and get injured and have to start from scratch again.  The gains for me have come steadily, but with some noticeable jumps.  We will see how it translates to my first tri tomorrow morning!

Good luck and keep at it!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first good news Rss Feed