General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Identical Rides, Difference Results (Road vs. TT bike) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-30 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
Subject: Identical Rides, Difference Results (Road vs. TT bike)

I got a new P2, sorry no bike p0rn...yet...waiting for my wheel set (HED 6, HED 9 and wheel cover)....any way....

I did an identical ride that I did previously on my road bike. I used my Garmin so I have great data from both rides. The difference was huge.

The ride is a 30 mile out and back. It starts with a big hill, followed by rollers and finishes with a down hill.

Road BikeTT Bike
Climbing Hill (mph)810
Average Pace per/mile3:313:16
Average MPH overall16.318.5
Total Time1:511:38

On neither ride was trying to set a PR, I was just riding. I know this because my training plan for today says "ride as hard or easy as you like" I chose easy :-)

This is just proof to me that you get free mph's from the TT bike and the position on the bike. I'm looking forward to my next race and/or next training ride where I'm trying to bust one out and see what the results look like...

I think I'm in love with my bike

2011-04-30 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3475225

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Identical Rides, Difference Results (Road vs. TT bike)
bradaskins - 2011-04-30 8:33 PM

I got a new P2, sorry no bike p0rn...yet...waiting for my wheel set (HED 6, HED 9 and wheel cover)....any way....

I did an identical ride that I did previously on my road bike. I used my Garmin so I have great data from both rides. The difference was huge.

The ride is a 30 mile out and back. It starts with a big hill, followed by rollers and finishes with a down hill.

Road BikeTT Bike
Climbing Hill (mph)810
Average Pace per/mile3:313:16
Average MPH overall16.318.5
Total Time1:511:38

On neither ride was trying to set a PR, I was just riding. I know this because my training plan for today says "ride as hard or easy as you like" I chose easy :-)

This is just proof to me that you get free mph's from the TT bike and the position on the bike. I'm looking forward to my next race and/or next training ride where I'm trying to bust one out and see what the results look like...

I think I'm in love with my bike

Your new P2 was free?

Yes you get faster but I would argue it isn't free. My Ordu is much faster than my Kuota on similar watts on same course....I say it was expensive speed gains

How did the RPE compare? Rest? conditions?

Edited by KathyG 2011-04-30 7:42 PM
2011-05-01 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3475225

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Identical Rides, Difference Results (Road vs. TT bike)

Congrats on the new bike. I love data and experiments. I collected this same data when I replaced my Trek Pilot with a Cervelo P2. I found the same thing that you did, I was faster on my tri bike. I focused on riding my tri bike fast and noticed that I would push my HR higher on my tri bike than I would on my Trek. Being that I love data I decided to replicate the conditions on the Trek. So I focused on riding that bike hard and pushing the HR to the same levels. What I found was that the tri bike is faster and more aero. I suspect that you will find that the gap you see today might narrow some over time as you will have good and bad days on either bike. I like to use these findings as motivation. Enjoy the new bike, don't be afraid to go out and hammer the old bike as hard as you can to see how fast you can be on a slow bike.

Kevin    

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Identical Rides, Difference Results (Road vs. TT bike) Rss Feed