Finalstretch Inc.
53F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 23m 15s
Overall Rank = 2/13
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

I had originally registered for this as an individual, but the chronic tendonitis in my foot has kept me from running since last fall. Jeremy agreed to run for me, so we switched to a relay. In the weeks and days leading up to this, there was much anticipation and dread about the weather. So far the weather this entire year has sucked butt and today was no exception. It turned off wet and windy. Pouring rain as we were driving up and gusts that pushed the car all over the road. I was super excited to get to ride my bike in that.
Food- coffee and a bagel on the way up to CF.
Clothes- Jeremy- TriRoch kit with underarmor longsleeve, 2011 blaze orange RR jacket (which ended up too warm).
Pattie- TriRoch kit with tights and underarmor longsleeve, full finger gloves, WBGdu beanie under helmet. I was a bit chilly, but did OK.
Event warmup:

I'm not sure that "warm-up" applied to any part of this race. Maybe going to get coffee after. Still, I took the bike for a short spin to check gears and jogged a bit when J was on the first run. Then lots of standing around complaining about the weather.
Run
  • 12m 57s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Jeremy started out with the fast guys and tried to hang on. He looked down for his first mile and saw 6:03. Yikes! He was back to T1 pretty fast, even faster than I'd anticipated.
Transition 1
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Standard relay du T1. Incoming runner holds bike; outgoing cyclist grabs chip. Final Stretch got new chip straps and the velcro is strong. Hard to get them off.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 48m 55s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.17 mile/hr
Comments:

I jumped on the bike and it was on! I thought (and I was wrong) that I was the first relay bike out of T1, so I wanted to open as big a lead as I could. Not really knowing much about our competition was kind of tough. I figured that Steve, the guy I'd talked to about cyclocross, was going to be a threat since he looked like a serious cyclist, so I didn't want him to catch me too early. The first two women passed me about 4 miles out and many people passed me on the whole ride. Not like last year when I was making up time from my slow run. This time I was out with the fast people. The wind was annoying going out, but I knew that it was at my back so I would have to battle it when we turned around. I was right. Wow, the wind and the spray off of the very-close semi's was pretty dangerous. Around mile 9 the guy in front of me (maybe a quarter mile up) was thrown off the road. He thought he caught the edge of the road, but it looked like a gust hit him just the wrong way and the bike whipped out from under him. Crazy! He did finish, although with lots of blood. That made me ride a bit more cautiously from there on in. Still, I was trying to beat my goal and last year's time, so I kept hammering away at it. In truth, I was pretty glad to see the last stretch of road into T2.

Not much. Not sure I could have gone any harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

Muddy mess coming into T2, so I stopped instead of jumping off. Then had to jump the river separating the course from transition. Standard du relay T2. Incoming cyclist tries not to pass out; outgoing runner grabs chip and dashes out.
Run
  • 20m 30s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The course was wet and slippery. Hard to run fast when the feet are sliding around. Jeremy was in that dead zone between the fast people and the rest of the field so he was by himself for a good deal of this run. He finally caught up to a guy and they sprinted it out at the end for a great finish. If the line had been another 500 ft, Jeremy would have passed him. Still a great job for our runner!

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I took the bike back while Jeremy was running, so we didn't have to worry about anything after he finished. Then I stood around and chatted. Didn't have to wait long to see him finish. After that, we found some food. Mario had the good planning sense to bring some veg burgers to put on the grill which saved us from eating mustard and relish on a bun like last year. Then we stood around for another hour or so until awards. It was a lot of standing around. Jeremy and I ended up 2nd in the relay division, beaten out by 2 young (but pretty cool) dudes. I'm good with that since there's no way I'm going to be faster on the bike than some young guy. TriRochester had a great showing with many top 3 finishes. Way to go, everyone!

Falls Du Club Results 30 April, 2011
Individual Overall (of 141) AG Place
John Freemore 13 3/15
Andrew Galbus 26 3/9
Linda Griebenow 100 4/9
Dan Harke 10 1/10
Marie Harke 44 2/13
William Hogan 72 6/7
Katharina Hopp 41 1/13
Dawn Johnson 112 8/8
Kelly Manship 99 9/13
Mario Minelli 4 1/7
Kelle Peterson 49 3/13
Laura Wyttenbach 70 3/8
Relay Teams Overall (of 13 teams)
Pattie & Jeremy Ekman 2
Josh & Melissa Weigel 5

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crappy weather again.

Event comments:

Good job, Final Stretch! Love the big mile marker flags on the bike course. I'm not sure how you got them to stay upright, but they were pretty cool. Nice to see Denise and Steve today too!

Last updated: 2011-04-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:57 | 02 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 2/13
Performance: Good
Jeremy ran this. His notes are much shorter than mine. While he was out, I jogged a tiny bit, visited the portapotty, and got my bike organized to ride.
Course: Loop. The asphalt was slippery due to the rain.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:27
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:48:55 | 14 miles | 17.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 5/13
Wind SSE 17/ gusts 25 mostly cross. Avg HR- 166 Max HR- 173
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back on a 2 lane county road. Decent shoulder, but some mud and grit had collected there. I only had to come off the shoulder one time for mud.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:30 | 03 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 3/13
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-01 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Falls Duathlon

2011-05-01 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3475767

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Falls Duathlon
Way to go you two, nice job with the hardware. I was considering this race as a game time decision. Crappy weather made the decision easy. You are one tough chica.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Falls Duathlon Rss Feed