Set Up Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 29s
Overall Rank = 113/178
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 24/28
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal for breakfast with Nuun's to drink with it. A good combination for me: energy and hydration. Everything packed the night before and ready to go.
Event warmup:

Didn't swim before the race start like last time because family was here to watch and I wanted to spend time with them. I don't think it cost me anything though.
Swim
  • 11m 25s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did exactly what I wanted to do, which is swim slow and smooth and just get through the swim without expending much energy. Swam pretty much at a warm-up pace the entire time, never got out of my rhythmn, and felt really strong coming out.
What would you do differently?:

Eventually I need to start picking up my speed. Same stroke with higher turnover will get me there. It's more mental than anything at this point - I'm just not convinced that an all-out effort on the swim is the best use of my energy. Even if I come out of the water last, but I haven't expended much energy to get there, that's a win for me at this point, because I used to come out last AND completly spent :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

A decent effort that could have been much better if I had my tri-shirt. Trying to pull on a snug cycling shirt while wet cost me :30 or so. Did take on some water before getting on the bike.

Using tri-shirt from now on will help.
Bike
  • 41m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good about the bike effort. I wanted to push an 18mph average and I hit that goal right on the nose. My gear changes were better and my cornering was more aggressive, so I didn't spend as much time "re-accelerating" as I have in previous races. This was about the best I could race at my current fitness level.

Spend more time training on the bike. Work in more interval sprints and short rides at high exertion to push me to the next level. 18mph is about my max at current fitness level.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

The time was decent for me, but this is where I killed my race. I had decided not to bring water bottles on the bike with me, which turned out to be fine. But then I decided that since I didn't drink on the bike, I should try to slug down a bunch of water in transition ... HUGE mistake ...

Timing was good, but I need to trust my plan and not make hasty decision on the fly ... like drinking a bunch of water all at once in transition
Run
  • 29m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Extremely disappointing run. I ran the same course one month earlier, in terrible conditions, in 23:09. A similar run this time around would have had my right at my goal time of 1:20:00. Drank a ton of water in transition, and almost immediately got side-stitch cramps. Managed to jog lightly down and up the first hill, but then had to walk through the mile 1 turnaround. Though I was going to vomit in the garbage can at the turn. Lots of great encouragement from the volunteers helped me through. They were telling me "Deep breaths" and "Just keep kicking". Started jogging lightly again after the mile 1 turnaround, but never really got comfortable. Finishing in under 30min was all down to mental fortitude at that point.

Don't drink a bunch of water all at once at any point during the race. My hydration was probably fine anyway. Take little bits of fluid at a time, or even just rinse my mouth.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps during the run

Last updated: 2011-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:25 | 500 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/28
Overall: 153/178
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 500 yards snake course in the pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:36 | 12.43 miles | 17.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/28
Overall: 103/178
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Moderately hilly - lots of low grade uphill, with very little downhill/coasting. Deceptively challenging because you are working against some type of uphill grade for at least 50% of the course, even if it's only 1%.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:14 | 03.11 miles | 09m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/28
Overall: 123/178
Performance: Bad
Course: One big hill, which had to be run twice due to two loop design.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes