5150 Triathlon Series
hawtF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 4s
Overall Rank = 1352/3124
Age Group = Clydes 39 under
Age Group Rank = 26/73
Pre-race routine:

Well I woke up at 1 am on my own, so that I took as a sign to eat something. Ate a banana and headed back to sleep. Up at 4, peanut butter nutella and banana sandwich. Headed out at 445. Picked a friend up at the Skyway. Porta Potty break, then in line at transition for body marking
People need to walk further into the body marking line, there were probably 10 people with their hand in the air screaming to mark people and no one was going, I went, got marked and into transtion.
Set up, went to help a friend get her tires pumped. Then we headed to the beach.
Event warmup:

Long walk to the beach. Watched the pros start, swam a bit, watched them come out and swam a little more.
Swim
  • 19m 17s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got kicked early on in the jaw, that was exciting! Reminded me of wrestling days so kind of got me pumped! Took a nice drink of Tampa Bay before the first bouy. Got into a nice stroke for me and just kept swimming along, at the last bouy I turned right to head in but should have really been more of a turn back as when I looked up I was a little of course for the beach.
My swim is getting much better so I was very happy.
What would you do differently?:

Round the last bouy better, I was going to swim Saturday but they didn't have the bouys up so I didn't get to see the course.
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

Watch said 6.53.28 from out of water to onto bike
Long run from beach, .54 miles. Positive was it dried me off a bit so when I put on my shirt it was much easier to get on. Helmet glasses on and I am off! Forgot my Bloks though.
Ran with bike, jumped on, at about 18 mph threw first foot in, made turn then next foot in.

I forgot my bloks, but my pace/time/and body felt the same as they have in the practices I have been doing so maybe I don't need them?
Bike
  • 1h 11m 52s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I was happy with my bike, had a few waves that started in front of me giving me targets to work on. I will say that people need to stay to the right when not passing. There were a lot of officials so it was making me nervous, went to pass one person and he kept drifing to the right and I went outside a cone to pass him. DIdn't get a penalty so must not have mattered.
Almost crushed a person who at the water bottle stand decided he needed water and was going to pull in front of me and jam up the brakes, thank god for motorcycle riding and not ramming into him.
Saw numerous people receiving aid for wrecks.
Got passed like I was sitting still, amazing how quick these people can push the bikes.

Probably stop bringing gatorade and just drink water, 2nd race I had no interest in gatorade and just wanted water
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Unstrapped on the cobblestones, worked through the crowd at dismount and into transition. Socks on Shoes on, new thing here--grabbed visor and belt and took off! Save a few seconds.

Nothing, very happy
Run
  • 1h 00m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I have accepted my run is not that good yet. I want to be in the 8.30 pace but need to figure out what to do to get there. I was happy with my run I met my goal.
I had a bottle of water, drank as needed, course had plenty of shade, didn't unzip my top until almost mile 5. Didn't get sprayed by the hoses, not a fan of that usually, makes me nervous about my contacts.
I did lose my visor at the start of the run and my wife saw it, at the finish I told her I lost it, she said I saw it! Went back and it was still there.
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed a iced towel put on my head, drank 2 bottles of water, a ironman recovery drink. FOund my family and waited for a friend to finish. Saw him then we waited for one more when she crossed she said BEER, so we went for beer.

Event comments:

I had a very good race, there were portolets everywhere (didn't need them this time but happy they were there)
Coming out of T2 you run by the beer truck, I think I shed a tear. Almost to mile 3 a guy stopped to have a mimosa with one of the families on the path, that made me laugh. Right before the turnaround there was sidewalk chalk boasting of free beer ahead. SO that was comforting. The annoucer said 41 kegs, so I was all gitty.
Had my $160 in beer, then went to the massage tent. Free 10 minute massage turned into a free 45 minute massage, was very happy about that. Then headed to transition to pack up.
Was a very upbeat crowd, some rowdy group. Always impressive to see the people riding with a passenger and then push them through the run with the chair, very motivational and a great gesture for the less fortunate.

Last updated: 2011-02-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:17 | 1000 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/73
Overall: 0/3124
Performance: Good
My watch said 18.32 from when I came out of the water.
Suit:
Course: modified to 1000m due to waves/safety
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 04:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:52 | 24.85 miles | 20.75 mile/hr
Overall: 1352/3124
Watch said 1.10.21
Wind: Some
Course: Nice course, some cobblestones, railroad track, speed bumps. Wind from a few different directions it seemed
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:30 | 06.21 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 0/3124
Performance: Average
1-8.39 2-9.24 3-10.03 4-9.44 5-10.39 6-10.03 .21-2.09
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %alot
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-02 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2011-05-02 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3478323

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Great race, you got me by just over a minute.  Were you the guy I yelled at after the last water stop that you couldn't sprint to the finish?
2011-05-02 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3478604

User image

Expert
cwpeters - 2011-05-02 8:41 PM Great race, you got me by just over a minute.  Were you the guy I yelled at after the last water stop that you couldn't sprint to the finish?
I don't remember hearing that, but I usually won't sprint to the finish unless I am with my brother, just so I can beat him!
2011-05-03 9:56 AM

User image

New user

largo
Great Race! I am with you, no how fast I seem to be going on the bike someone is going 5 to 6 mph faster.  The speed humps did get a few riders this year again this year.  They were marked OK guess people don't like to slow down for anything!
2011-05-03 10:18 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

nice job, great report!!!  congrats on the finish!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed