General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
United States
Max Performance
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 29s
Overall Rank = 51/366
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/28
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am, made coffee, packed truck and drove up (Ellington to Hopkinton, about 1.5hrs). Ate PB on bagel and drank coffee & water. Arrived, registered, marked, wandered. Went to bathroom about 3 times (normal), got into wetsuit about 820 for 9am start.
Event warmup:

Went to the water - cold, but better than last year's "wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" situation - no wind and some sun. Still, brain freeze when I started swim "warm-up" (ha!). As usual though, started to acclimate just when I had to get out and stand around to wait for the start. Joined the march to the dock and felt pretty good.
Swim
  • 09m 7s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very disappointed in my swim - I have trained hard over the winter and expected to cruise. I started out fast and lost my breath - my wetsuit seemed very tight and I had to stop for a moment and collect myself so that I didnt panic. Once I calmed down, I did fine, but my hopes for a good time on the swim had faded. Will try to learn a lesson about fast starts for next race to try and get something positive.
What would you do differently?:

Mellow out at the start!!! Maybe warm up better also. I dont think my wet suit is too tight - I actually weigh less than last year, so havent out grown it. Just not used to it this early in the season I guess.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

A bit slow, but not bad for first time this year. Was a little off balance from cold water.

Go faster.
Bike
  • 31m 23s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

No issues, felt strong and did well. Lots of people riding on left without passing - killed me at a couple of the tight turns.

Perhaps more aggressive passing prior to turns so that I could keep my desired pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Dismounted cleanly, ran well to bike spot. Probably should have gone with fast laces, but forgot. No big deal.

Just faster, nothing else
Run
  • 21m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt very good during the run and past a few others in my age group. Strong on the hills and finished very well. I like 5k - feel like I can maintain a fast pace (for me, that is).

Just keep pushing.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water and packed up. Waited for officials to let us leave transition with our bikes and left. Mothers Day was calling loudly!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim - of all things!! That was the part I felt best about coming in. Oh well, learn for next time and keep training.

Event comments:

A good race run by a professional outfit. SImilar to last year, I came in second in age group and wasnt there to pick up my prize. With Mothers Day, I jst cant justify hanging out.

Last updated: 2011-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:07 | 440 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 70/366
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless Pro-Motion
Course: Point to point - a nice change from last year's triangle. Started in the water, went right to left, buoys on left, then came out past transtion on the beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:23 | 10 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Overall: 52/366
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Course was in the park on bumpy park roads then out in the town. Very short, a few hills but pretty easy.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:21 | 03.1 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 62/366
Performance: Good
Course: Uphill from transition, then down to an "out and back". Then into a field and up another hill. Across the dam (actual dam, not DAMN!), then across the beach and in. Probably a few other twists and turns, but forget already.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-08 5:51 PM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon

2011-05-08 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3488106

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon
Congrats, you still had a good race... and don't beat yourself up about the swim - it was longer than published, approx 560 yards according to Google Earth.

Edited by FlyTheBlueSky 2011-05-08 9:47 PM
2011-05-09 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3488453

User image

Connecticut
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon

Thanks - distance was not a concern - I've been doing Masters classes for 6 months and regularly do 3500-4000 yards.  I think it was a combination of first wet suit swim this year, cold water and poor warm up. 

Still happy overall with the race.

Chris

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed