Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 12 hour shifts and triathlon training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-15 12:19 AM

Subject: 12 hour shifts and triathlon training
I am struggling to figure out how to fit my triathlon training into my new life schedule and was hoping someone here might have some ideas on how to make this work.

I am an emergency room nurse I work 12 hour shifts (usually 4 shifts in a row then 5 days off, 2 days on 3 days off and the whole cycle starts over again. I have had this schedule for quite some time and previously it wasn't an issue to hit the gym either before or after work because my commute was only 10 minutes from home to work or home to gym.

I recently got married and moved further away from work. I now have a 45 minute each way commute to work. I am really struggling with how to get my work outs in on my work days (days off are easy)

Working out before I leave for work has the drawbacks of being dark and the gym not being open in time for me to get a work out in before I need to get on the freeway to get to work.

Working out after work has the drawbacks of having already worked a 12 hour shift in one of the busiest ERs in the country and then having 45 minutes of sitting in the truck on the freeway before I can get to the gym which kinda zaps what little energy I have left and then feel like a bad wife for being gone for even more hours of the day and not being there to eat dinner with him.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? How do you make it work?

Addendum: and no working out at work is not an option its a good day if I get to eat lunch before 4pm (and its only a 30 min break for lunch)

2011-05-15 1:17 AM
in reply to: #3499553

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: 12 hour shifts and triathlon training

I understand your pain, I work in a 24/7 shop myself. What I do on 12 hour shifts is on the day before my shift starts, I do all my prep work for the work week. So that means cooking all my food and storing/organizing it in Tupperware in the fridge, sorting out my workout clothes, and sticking to the schedule.

Yeah it kind of sucks during your week because your whole schedule will be packed, but you can relax on your multiple days off. Keep your long workouts on your days off, and try to work out before work so you do not skip it after a long day. So short runs, functional strength workouts, and swims can be on your work days, and long bikes/runs can be on your days off.

Hopefully the above will help you out, the biggest part is planning it all out.

2011-05-15 6:04 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Why so much time at a gym?  That should only affect your swimming right?  Run and bike outdoors.  Schedule your bike rides on your days off so you can get the day light without a 12 hour shift in front of it and run in the dark before work (well, and on your days off).  If you want to strength train buy some equipment for home or do it on your off days when your at the gym swimming.  It doesn't take much.  Free weights and a bench or something like a TRX and use body weight.
2011-05-15 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3499605

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-05-15 11:58 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Since this is COJ, I would say don't spend time in COJ and go workout.

You may get some answers here, but maybe ask some of the peeps in the TriTalk forum to see if they have some answers for you, too.

Yeah, yeah, Mods, I know, don't cross post.

2011-05-15 2:22 PM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

You've got the same 24 hours in a day that every one else has, and probably more free time than  most since you're not commuting 6 days out of 2 weeks instead of 10 (not to mention all the other "get ready for work" time on those days).

So do your light/short workout days on the days you work, longer days on your off-work days. Not a "normal" schedule according to most plans, but then the rest of your life isn't "normal". Adapt and make due.

2011-05-15 3:47 PM

I work 12 hour shift 7am to 7pm right now, but I switch between days and nights every 3 months.  I also don't get long breaks.  I live out of town with a 20 min commute each way.  When it is light out I go running or swimming after work - depending on if the pool is open.  It helps me wind down from the day.  When I am on days like now I go swimming before work, but it is only a short workout because the pool doesn't open til 6am.  On Saturdays I can sometimes wear my workout clothes and take short 15 min breaks for multiple short runs, but I have the benefit of not having to wear a uniform and having a very casual work atmosphere.  I have been contemplating riding my bike to work - but my commute is shorter.  The weather has been windy, rainy or snowing and I haven't been very motivated for a 15 mile bike ride uphill after a 12hr shift - so biking is done on off days right now.

(edited to add) I run in town by work.  If I wait till I get home I lose all motivation and am ready for bed.

Edited by joanny 2011-05-15 3:55 PM
2011-05-15 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3500156

Veteran
Calgary

I also work 12's, 5 on/5 off - 2 or 3 days then 2 or 3 nights, all 7-7 ... and I have a 60-minute commute.

I found a good pool close to work, go in there at 5 am for my swim workouts on dayshifts. If I went to a pool close to home they wouldn't open in time for me to get my workout in and still get to work on time, so I commute first. I also often stop at the pool on my way home after nightshifts at 7 am - these are tough workouts and I'm exhausted, but I intentionally plan these to be easy laps no drills etc. And I sleep great after. ;-)

On dayshifts I can't work out on my lunchbreaks but nightshifts I can, dayshifts my early morning swims are usually my only workouts as I'm too tired after shift. Nightshifts I'll do 40 min on the treadmill or the spin bike in our gym on my break, don't have time to get much distance in but I try to do a good set of intervals or strength training etc.

I get most of my quality long-distance training sessions in on my 5 days off when I have more time and energy.

I agree with Atlas - you have to plan ahead with food and a plan. And I'm lucky as my boyfriend works the same shifts I do and is quite supportive, and if he's ever felt he's taken a backseat to my training he's never said anything. Undecided

2011-05-16 2:16 AM

Expert
Ontario

I also work 12 hour shifts, 2days, 2 nights, 5 off.  My commute is about 40 minutes and on  days I park offsite with a 12 minute walk to work.  On work days I run right after work before I drive home.  Usually one of my work days is a rest day. On the day of my first night shift I will bike in the morning and stop at the pool before I go to work (the pool is in the city, 30 minutes from home, 10 minutes from work). I run in the morning after my first night shift then go home and sleep.  After my second night shift I go to the pool before I drive home, then go home and sleep and bike or run when I wake up.  On my days off I do  most of my biking and will usually go to the pool a couple mornings also.

It is hard to get the training in on workdays but I wouldn't go back to a 8 hour/day, 5 days/week schedule now.. I love all my days off. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 12 hour shifts and triathlon training Rss Feed