United States
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 26m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Usual oatmeal and half banana breakfast. Did NOT take a pre-race GU, although probably should have.
Event warmup:

None, other than picture with fellow Half Fanatics and shivering at the start line!
Run
  • 2h 26m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Did not take in enough calories. Didn't have the Gu at the start (which was probably OK) but then only had 1 Gu the entire race. Had a mini pack of peanut M&M's and a Jolly Rancher, but that was it. I did get pooped out at the end and it was probably due to lack of fueling, although I did not make that connection at the time.

My left (of course!) calf muscle cramped at about 12.75 miles which has NEVER happened before. I would like to think it was due to lack of electrolytes (although I was not sweating profusely) rather than my bad knee/leg acting up. This did recur on Sunday's half marathon too.
What would you do differently?:

Have a fueling schedule, even for a fun race, and stick with it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around just a bit but did not really stretch. Chowed at the plentiful food afterwards. Need to remember to refuel wisely. Get something tasty and smart in immediately, but save my calories for something I really want, rather than just stuffing myself with junk and eating back all the calories I just burned!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mainly it was a lack of energy in the latter half of the race. Now I think that was due to improper fueling, rather than training. I can (and have) run half marathons faster this past month.

Event comments:

Honestly, this is the best half marathon that I have done, if you don't take into account Hospital Hill's perks. Great volunteers, aid stations, and food afterwards inside the warm school. I love Running with the Cows!

Last updated: 2011-04-07 12:00 AM
Running
02:26:32 | 13.1 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Enjoyed the course but it was hillier than I remembered. This was a "fun run" so was not overly concerned with time. Love the aid stations with lots of food and water, and super enthusiastic cheerleaders!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes