General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming with impingement syndrome Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-19 4:35 PM

Subject: swimming with impingement syndrome
Does anyone have experience training through impingement syndrome? My PT told me not to swim for the next 2-3 weeks, but I need to keep training for IM Louisville in 14 weeks... Anyone have any advice? I was thinking at the least doing extended kickboard workouts might help.

2011-05-23 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3508788

User image

Subject: RE: swimming with impingement syndrome

Kicking is good, but gets very boring after a while. If only one shoulder is affected, swimming one-arm will help you keep your body position for when you're able to return to a normal stroke. Mix it up so that you don't injure the good arm - one-arm butterfly is always a good challenge.

I couldn't swim for several months due to nerve damage caused by surgery. I swam one-arm during this time, and when I was able to begin using my left arm again, I found my body position was preserved and my stroke was hardly impacted at all (the only issue was my arm was weaker than the other... in your case, this won't likely be an issue as it is only a matter of weeks, not months).

2011-05-26 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3508788

User image

Mountain View, CA
Subject: RE: swimming with impingement syndrome
Yes, but not in swimming. I played through four years of volleyball-induced impingement syndrome in my right shoulder, and eventually had surgery on it. I was told that every swing I took was doing more damage. I assume that the same is now true of my left shoulder, which has chronic impingement issues and for which I'm considering getting surgery sometime in the next year (see my recent thread in this forum).

Take my advice with a grain of salt (or a few tablespoons of salt), because I've never done an IM, but I would take the recommended 2-3 weeks off swimming. Let your shoulder settle down. Ice, take NSAIDs, and ease back into training in a few weeks. If you keep swimming now, you'll continue doing damage to the tissues. If you let the inflammation go down, it's less likely that you'll be doing further damage when you go back to swimming. Yes, you'll lose a few weeks of training, but the earlier you give your shoulder a break, the less time it'll take to let your shoulder settle down. You don't want to be get into a situation where it's five weeks from race day and your shoulder is now so bad that you have to take the remaining five weeks off just to be able to race.

In the meantime, depending on your shoulder's anatomy and how you kick, kicking with a kickboard might actually aggravate it more. I kick on my back, without a kickboard, because my left shoulder's impingement is exacerbated by using a kickboard (even the kind of board that's supposed to be easier on the shoulders). YMMV.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming with impingement syndrome Rss Feed