United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 1s
Overall Rank = 310/1633
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 51/169
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 3 and laid in bed trying to catch a few more minutes sleep until finally getting up around 4:15. Ate a small bagel with PB, banana, and coffee. Left the house at 5:00 and drank a reGen on the way to the park. Got to the park at 5:30 and had plenty of time to setup, hit the head and move to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Walked around to the start and talked to friends.
Swim
  • 23m 53s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm pretty happy with the swim. I was on course the entire time and only had one minor issue. One guy to my left insisted on heading towards the shore and completely off course. I finally had to literally grab him and shove him to my right. Once I had him out of the way I was able to ease into a decent pace and easily stayed on course. On a side note, this guy managed to hit the "stop" button on my watch somehow! I somehow managed to realize this, but had no idea how long it had been stopped for. Just glad I got it started fairly quickly and moving.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps start a bit faster. I'm a decent swimmer so perhaps giving more of an effort for the first 100 meters or so would help get away from the issue I had. I kind of took it easy out of the gate and had to deal with the one swimmer, but overall I'm pretty pleased.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

I need to speed this up. I feel like every time out of the water I am completely exhausted and it takes me some time to catch my breath. Also, someone pre-race helped me zip up my wetsuit and I think he looped the zipper over the velcro at the neck so it wouldn't unzip. Once I figured this out, I got it down, but it wasn't until I got almost to my bike.

Just move faster. Also put shoes on my bike before hand. I originally planned on it, but decided not to at the last minute for whatever reason. I don't think that cost me a ton of time, but some.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 16s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 18.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, this is absolutely my achilles heel. I am just not very good on the bike. That said, I did manage to drop 5 minutes this year from last. The bottom line is I need to spend more time riding. Period. Same song/different year. Now, if I can drop another 5 by next year, then I'll be very happy.

Train more/harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

This was almost disastrous. As I rode into T2, I swung my right leg over the bike and my left leg decided to turn to jello. I wobbled hard, but somehow managed to save myself, my bike, and everyone in the vacinity and I stayed upright. Other than that, I was in and out and I'm pretty happy with my time. Maybe sub 1 minute next year...

Not much...move a bit faster but overall I'm pleased.
Run
  • 47m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I was in big trouble as my watch hit 8 minutes and I didn't see any mile markers as in years past. Someone with a Garmin ran by about a half mile later and I asked him how our pace was. It was sub 8 so I was feeling ok. Felt pretty comfortable through the neighborhood, but as usual, the hills were brutal. Some cramping in my quads, but they never got too bad. Once out of the neighborhood and over the last hill, I picked up the pace and managed to finish with literally no one around. It was nice to enjoy the finish without trying to absolutely kill it at the end. My wife and kids also surprised me near the finish and that was a nice boost for the last 50-100 meters.

Not much. I was hoping for a 7:30 pace, but overall I'm pleased. Three minutes better than last year.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my family, grabbed some food, and then waited for a friend to finish. It was a very good race for me and I'm very happy with the results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am a slow cyclist!

Event comments:

Great race as usual and I'm sure I'll be back again next year. I like racing close to home!

Last updated: 2011-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:53 | 1640 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/169
Overall: 205/1633
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: Trapazoidal
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average