General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting bike aero position as season progresses Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-25 5:24 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: Adjusting bike aero position as season progresses

Hello... Back in February of this year, I went to my LBS for a Tri/TT-configured bike fitting. Since I was a newbie, the fitter set me up in a fairly conservative initial position -- my saddle and aerobar armpads were approximately the same height.

About 6 weeks later, I returned to the same shop to inquire about a follow-up adjustment. Unfortunatey, the guy who initially fitted me was no longer employed by the shop. I asked about getting another adjustment, but the shop had not yet hired a replacement fitter. I was also told that I'd have to pay for any follow-up fittings (even though I'd paid $175 for the first one -- ugh). Needless to say, I haven't returned again to this particular shop...

Anyway, after doing some research, I figured I could just do the adjustments myself. I read somewhere that for every cm you drop the aerobars, you should also move the saddle position forward approximately the same cm. Does this sound correct? In my case, for my first adjustment, I lowered the aerobar height about 5/8 of an inch, and moved the saddle forward about 5/8 of inch. The new position felt a little different at first, but I adjusted quickly and was comfortable after a couple of rides.

About a week ago, I did another adjustment. This time, I again dropped the bars another 5/8 inch and moved the saddle forward another 5/8 inch. Again, I adjusted quickly to the new position and felt comfortable within a few rides.

I realize bike fit is an individual matter and is different for everybody. But does it sound like I'm doing my gradual aero adjustments properly?

Also, I've now moved my saddle position as far forward as it will go (my bike is a bit large for me, but it's all I've got for now). Should I be concerned about this when I make another adjustment later? So far, my hip angle/position and power output still feel pretty good, and I'd hate to mess things up.

My bike has a reversible seat post and I flipped it to the Tri position for my initial fitting. Since there's no longer any room to move it forward, should I consider getting a different seat post that could possibly move me farther forward? Or, maybe I'm completely off base, and I shouldn't be so concerned about moving the saddle position...

Does anybody have any experience with this? Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2011-05-25 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3518929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Subject: RE: Adjusting bike aero position as season progresses

You're going to be "adapting" to an aero position for 6 months.   Just pull the band aid off and ride in a proper position, adapt for a couple weeks and forget about it.

I put adapting in quotes, because if you are continually dropping the bars and sliding the seat forward and feeling good about it, you are not adapting, you are riding a bad position until you get around to riding a good one.

Everyone does it this way and it is just silly. You are not limited by your flexibility, core strength or athleticisim to ride a proper position. You are limited by your belief in aerobar folklore.

I have seen this scenario play out several hundred times now. 

Edited by Dave Luscan 2011-05-25 6:54 PM
2011-05-25 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

And let me add this as well. If you have sufficient flexibility to bend at the waist and touch your knees (not you toes, your knees) then your fitter at best gave you poor service. More likely the fitter was an idiot who bilked you out of $175.  

That's right, I said it!  Nobody of sufficient athleticism to ride aerobars should walk out of a professional bike fit with 0cm of drop. The proper drop will relate to your self selected seat tube and hip angles, and it will also scale somewhat to height, but you would need to be extremely short for 0 drop to be proper.

2011-05-25 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3519005

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Dave Luscan - 2011-05-25 4:47 PM

You're going to be "adapting" to an aero position for 6 months.   Just pull the band aid off and ride in a proper position, adapt for a couple weeks and forget about it.

Wow, thanks Dave for the very "to-the-point" advice... I wasn't expecting that, but your reply does make a lot of sense.  I did feel ripped off when I left the shop with a 0 drop aerobar fit. I also admit I've been perplexed by how easy each "adaptation" phase has been so far -- too easy, actually. I keep waiting to feel at least a bit of back and arm discomfort/soreness, but it hasn't come. My only concern with increasing the angle has been the loss-of-power versus aerodynamics trade-off. But I guess I won't be able to find that point until I do some experimenting. Thanks again. Best of luck with your swim program and coaching!

2011-05-26 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3519016

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodstock, MD
Dave Luscan - 2011-05-25 7:53 PM

And let me add this as well. If you have sufficient flexibility to bend at the waist and touch your knees (not you toes, your knees) then your fitter at best gave you poor service. More likely the fitter was an idiot who bilked you out of $175.  

That's right, I said it!  Nobody of sufficient athleticism to ride aerobars should walk out of a professional bike fit with 0cm of drop. The proper drop will relate to your self selected seat tube and hip angles, and it will also scale somewhat to height, but you would need to be extremely short for 0 drop to be proper.

Wow, Dave, Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Seriously, though, thank you. I will don't anticipate getting a Tri bike until next year sometime, but I will not let them put me on a 0cm drop...

2011-05-26 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

How about the notion of moving the seat forward for more drop? Is that correct?

I recently dropped my bars a bit further but didn't move the seat. It feels a bit more stretched out now. Should I be moving the seat forward anytime I drop the bars?

How about up and down? Should the seat go up or down when the bar height changes?

2011-05-26 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3519967

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

Yes the seat should come forward as you drop down.  The goal is to equalize for hip angle so I am not sure that a simple 1:1 ratio is always going to be correct.

As far as seat height, it should be equalized as well. So as your seat comes forward, the height itself will be lower relative to the bottom bracket. So forward = raise the seat.

2011-05-26 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Thanks a lot Dave, will be making some adjustments before my ride tonight.

2011-05-26 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3519016

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Dave Luscan - 2011-05-25 6:53 PM

It's nice to have you on the boards Dave; a refreshing voice of reason...

2011-05-26 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3520002

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Dave Luscan - 2011-05-26 12:15 PM

Yes the seat should come forward as you drop down.  The goal is to equalize for hip angle so I am not sure that a simple 1:1 ratio is always going to be correct.

As far as seat height, it should be equalized as well. So as your seat comes forward, the height itself will be lower relative to the bottom bracket. So forward = raise the seat.

Yup...don't forget this.  Easy way to smoosh yourself up if you don't.  But in case you are wondering 1cm drop up front does NOT mean 1cm seat height in the back.  You just have to do a quick "two triangle" calculation where the hypotenuse of the triangle is the same length and the base changes (shortens).  Hope that makes sense.

2011-05-26 12:53 PM

step 1- drop your front end as low as you can go and still be able to see the road
step 2- slide saddle forward to maintain hip angle
step 3- swap stem to maintain the same reach
step 4- switch to 145-165mm cranks
step 5- adapt 

2011-05-26 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3520235

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
SeasonsChange - 2011-05-26 1:53 PM

step 1- drop your front end as low as you can go and still be able to see the road
step 2- slide saddle forward to maintain hip angle
step 3- swap stem to maintain the same reach
step 4- switch to 145-165mm cranks
step 5- adapt 

Once again...

step 2a.  Raise saddle

2011-06-04 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3520365

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Thanks everybody for your input/help on my question last week... I can now safely say I'm no longer in a 0cm drop position!

I made some adjustments and brought the bars down as far as they would go and switched from 25mm to 12.5mm spacers under the arm pads. I also moved my saddle forward (it's now maxed out too), and raised my seat post. Here's the result (all the shots in these sequences are using the same current configuration):

Bike Fit Sequence

Sorry for fuzziness of the pictures -- they were taken as screenshots from a video.

So far, this position feels comfortable -- only a slight bit of soreness after the first ride, but nothing else since then. Should the seat post go higher?

I suspect I could go lower in front if I had more adjustment room (as I said, I'm currently maxed out with my saddle-forward position and bar height). Earlier today, I ordered a Ritchey Comp Adjustable Road Stem (80cm -- I'm currently using a 90 cm stem). I think the adjustable angled stem could also help bring in my horizontal reach.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2011-06-04 9:25 PM

Dave Luscan - 2011-05-25 6:47 PM

I put adapting in quotes, because if you are continually dropping the bars and sliding the seat forward and feeling good about it, you are not adapting, you are riding a bad position until you get around to riding a good one.

Everyone does it this way and it is just silly. You are not limited by your flexibility, core strength or athleticisim to ride a proper position. You are limited by your belief in aerobar folklore.

I'm so desperate right now I'm tempted to fly to Richmond to see you for a fit.

2011-06-04 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
Judging from your leg and foot position when your crank is at its lowest position, if you put your seat any higher your hips will start rocking, or you'll pop your cleats out on the downstroke because your foot won't reach the pedal.  Seat almost looks too high right now to me.
2011-06-05 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3532839

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

apicek - 2011-06-04 7:29 PM Judging from your leg and foot position when your crank is at its lowest position, if you put your seat any higher your hips will start rocking, or you'll pop your cleats out on the downstroke because your foot won't reach the pedal.  Seat almost looks too high right now to me.

Thanks apicek... I agree -- I'm not going any higher with the seat post. The pictures are a little deceiving because my pedals are at too steep of an angle at the bottom of my downstroke. I live up in the hills, and I could barely find a 100-foot flat section to take the pictures. So I was either pumping uphill or coasting downhill and had problems establishing a relaxed, natural cadence. I'll probably make a few more minor adjustments, but I think I'm getting closer...

2011-06-05 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Peachtree city, GA

so you are saying if i chose to ride an extremely aggressive position for say a sprint or olympic distance race, its just a matter of riding in the position long enough to become comfortable and confident in that position? always looking for more power and aerodynamics
2011-06-05 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3533836

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
raceready - 2011-06-05 8:05 PM

so you are saying if i chose to ride an extremely aggressive position for say a sprint or olympic distance race, its just a matter of riding in the position long enough to become comfortable and confident in that position? always looking for more power and aerodynamics

Well sorta, but maybe even not really....Undecided

I think the use of (and belief in?) the words aggressive and comfortable are the root of many bike fit problems.  I don't want you to be either. 

I want you to ride the position that feels best and most powerful WITHOUT letting your preconceived notions about aggressive positons being uncomfortable get in the way of this. 

"Comfort" is a little tricky.  You are not riding a laz-e-boy.  You need to be sustainable and able to run well without being in anything more than mild to maybe moderate discomfort (if the race is short). It is still an ok or even excellent position even if it is somewhat of a relief to get out of your aerobars or off your bike when you are done.

When the cessation of an activity is somewhat of a relief you are not participating in a comfortable activity. And that's ok. Semantics to a degree but I feel this is an important distinction as well.

Podiums are comfortable.

"Aggressive" just bugs me. We attach this word to positions with entirely appropriate body angles, support etc. 100 degrees of hip angle is a powerful position to pedal the bike for a majority.  It is also quite low in that it leads to a fairly flat back most of the time. It can look aggressive I suppose, though it requires roughly the same flexibilty as required to touch your knees, maybe a little less. Not your toes, your knees, or at least your lower quads.  That's the position. Bend over straight legged and touch your knees. Now place your arms in a position of skeletal support and put aerobars pads under your elbows to hold you up.  Pedal. It works.

I'm aggressive in that I aggressively force my head down as far as I can and have only 12cm between the centers of my aerobar pads.  I also run a proper seat height and exactly 100 degrees of hip angle.

So I would restate your question as "if i chose to ride an appropriate position for say a sprint or olympic distance race, its just a matter of riding in the position long enough to become sustainable and confident in that position?"

To which I would say that if the position is truly appropriate it should lend itself to confidence almost immediately, and it will be as sustainable as properly selected touch points (seat, pedals, bars) allow it to be.

All of the above assumes a reasonable fit and athletic individual suitable for aerobars to begin with. This is not for all of us, but it certainly can be for most of us. And it surely is for more of us than believe it.

2011-06-05 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3532833

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
jmot - 2011-06-04 9:25 PM

I'm so desperate right now I'm tempted to fly to Richmond to see you for a fit.

There are bad bike fitters and good bike fitters like anything else.  I hope you find a good one less than a plane ride away.

If you ever feel the need to fly to Richmond for a fit, I'll do it for free.

2011-06-05 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3532795

sdswriter - 2011-06-04 9:44 PM

Bike Fit Sequence

saddle is way too high.  flip stem.  

2011-06-05 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3533940

User image

Veteran
Peachtree city, GA
Dave Luscan - 2011-06-05 8:57 PM
raceready - 2011-06-05 8:05 PM

Well sorta, but maybe even not really....Undecided

I think the use of (and belief in?) the words aggressive and comfortable are the root of many bike fit problems.  I don't want you to be either. 

I want you to ride the position that feels best and most powerful WITHOUT letting your preconceived notions about aggressive positons being uncomfortable get in the way of this. 

"Comfort" is a little tricky.  You are not riding a laz-e-boy.  You need to be sustainable and able to run well without being in anything more than mild to maybe moderate discomfort (if the race is short). It is still an ok or even excellent position even if it is somewhat of a relief to get out of your aerobars or off your bike when you are done.

When the cessation of an activity is somewhat of a relief you are not participating in a comfortable activity. And that's ok. Semantics to a degree but I feel this is an important distinction as well.

Podiums are comfortable.

"Aggressive" just bugs me. We attach this word to positions with entirely appropriate body angles, support etc. 100 degrees of hip angle is a powerful position to pedal the bike for a majority.  It is also quite low in that it leads to a fairly flat back most of the time. It can look aggressive I suppose, though it requires roughly the same flexibilty as required to touch your knees, maybe a little less. Not your toes, your knees, or at least your lower quads.  That's the position. Bend over straight legged and touch your knees. Now place your arms in a position of skeletal support and put aerobars pads under your elbows to hold you up.  Pedal. It works.

I'm aggressive in that I aggressively force my head down as far as I can and have only 12cm between the centers of my aerobar pads.  I also run a proper seat height and exactly 100 degrees of hip angle.

So I would restate your question as "if i chose to ride an appropriate position for say a sprint or olympic distance race, its just a matter of riding in the position long enough to become sustainable and confident in that position?"

To which I would say that if the position is truly appropriate it should lend itself to confidence almost immediately, and it will be as sustainable as properly selected touch points (seat, pedals, bars) allow it to be.

All of the above assumes a reasonable fit and athletic individual suitable for aerobars to begin with. This is not for all of us, but it certainly can be for most of us. And it surely is for more of us than believe it.

ahhh ok this makes sense. not sure what i meant by comfortable, since i believe that in a sprint race, comfortable means i have more to give. so a 100 degree hip angle is powerful for a majority? would it be advantageous to spend some time on coaches computrainer with different hip angles in order to watch fluctuations in average power output with different positions?

2011-06-05 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3533949

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
SeasonsChange - 2011-06-05 7:07 PM
sdswriter - 2011-06-04 9:44 PM

saddle is way too high.  flip stem.  

Thanks. Yep, the stem is already flipped. I ordered an adjustable stem yesterday with a shorter reach.

I think part of the issue with the saddle height might be because of a bad foot angle on my part in the photo sequence. I couldn't find an adequate flat area near my house to take the pictures. As a result, I wasn't pedaling with a steady cadence and I think it messed up my form. But I'll try it a little lower anyway. I went on a 54-mile ride today and felt pretty good. I didn't seem to be rocking. I also found it easier to move forward on the saddle. I guess there's still some tweaking to do...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting bike aero position as season progresses Rss Feed