General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of Texas Triathlon
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 29s
Overall Rank = 14/964
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/100
Pre-race routine:

Typical transition set-up. Decided to use my road bike this race just to see what it would be like. Shouldn't have. Probably gave up a good amount of time on the bike by not having the aero set-up and the aero helmet. In all fairness, though, the wind was much worse than I thought it would be when I decided to use the road bike. Still, it was a nice experiment.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 13m 18s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took it easy on the swim with long, even strokes. There were about 12-13 guys who finished ahead of me, but I got out of the water feeling pretty good and knowing I could make up a good amount of time on the transition and the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I guess I should swim more. I hadn't swum at all in six weeks.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My timing chip did not record my T1 time, so I don't really know how I did. Felt fast, though. Used wetsuit strippers effectively and was at my bike, helmet on, and running with the bike pretty quickly. All in all, I'd be surprised if my transition time was much over 2 minutes. Long run from swim exit to the bike racks.

Not much of anything.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12.43 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, no data from my timing chip on the bike leg. I did not get passed, however, so I know I was really moving pretty well. Disappointed because I had a goal of 24 mph on the bike, but I could tell from my powertap data that I wasn't getting there. The headwind heading east on Cesar Chavez was very, very strong, and there was just enough traffic to slow it down a bit in the several 180 degree turns. Surprisingly, there was very little blocking and riding 3-4 abreast. Untypical of the CapTexTri.

Would have ridden my tri bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Not too bad of a transition. Third best in the AG as far as I can tell. Did have some trouble when one guy in the AG whom I passed shortly before turning off to the Bike In, passed me back. We ran into transition together and he got lost on the way, blocking my progress to the bike rack. Not a huge deal, but it was a bit frustrating.
Run
  • 21m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I was surprised at my run time. This was a pretty hot race since the Sprint waves didn't start until after 9:00 AM, and my wave was pretty deep in the Sprint. I probably didn't start running until close to 10:45 AM, and it was WARM. In cooler weather, I'm usually right around this pace for a 5k, so to see a sub-7:00/mile pace in that heat was very, very surprising.

Nothing, except run more. I've been doing mostly bike training for the road race season, so my run training has suffered a lot.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down. Walked over to chat with my wife for a bit and then got the bike out of transition and left to get some lunch.

Event comments:

Poor pre-race information. No one could tell me the day before the race some important things like when transition would close. Then, on race day, I was given incorrect information and told transition would close 30 minutes before it did. Staff were not terribly helpful at answering questions and were unnecessarily rude to many participants and family members. The race did not seem very well-organized and the slow posting of results, even preliminary ones, has borne that out. I used to love this race, but I might not do it again.

Last updated: 2011-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:18 | 820 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/100
Overall: 0/964
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless
Course: Rectangular course starting upstream (west) in Lady Bird Lake (really, the Colorado River), and then north a few yards, then back east (with the current), then south to the south shore and the exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 12.43 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/100
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Winding, multi-turn course through downtown Austin. Up 1st Street to Cesar Chavez, over to Congress Avenue, then north on Congress up to the Capitol Building and around the east side of the Capitol to a 180 degree turn and then retrace the route to Cesar Chavez. Take Cesar Chavez west almost to MoPac, then 180 back to 1st Street south across the river and 180 again to start the next loop. Two loop course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:15 | 03.11 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/100
Course: Winding course from south of the river on Riverside Drive, up to the downtown region, just north of the river. Too convoluted to describe.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-05-30 10:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed