General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike and Road Bike Differences Explained Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-05 9:52 AM

User image

Sylvan Lake 1 mile N of Bloomfield Hills
Subject: Tri Bike and Road Bike Differences Explained

This is a question I get at our shop multiple times daily. "What is the difference between a road bike and a tri bike?"

We will start with a Tri Bike...

A tri bike is designed to handle right with rider weight on the front. The front end of the bike handles slower and more steady when weighted. The angle of the seatpost is also steeper for a successful aero-dynamic position. The steeper angle of the seatpost lets you ride lower in the front while keeping your range of motion in your hips and hamstrings. Almost all modern tri bikes use aerodynamic shapes for the tubes. 

If you were to take the aro-dynamic cockpit off from a tri bike and replace it with drop handlebars, the bike would handle pretty crummy. Tri bikes need the rider weight in the intended place to handle right. The closest bike design in terms of handling would be a true touring bike. Touring bikes are designed to accommodate weight on the front.

Tri bikes also have the shifters out on the extensions and the brakes on the end of the base bars, so you need to get used to that.

A Road Bike is designed to be stable and nimble when the rider is on the hoods of the shifters and in the drops. A riders overall center of mass is further back on a road bike and that is how the bike handles best. 

When you put a clip on aero-bar on a road bike you need to be careful of a few things. The first would be stability. You will get used to it, but typically you will be a little higher in the front end than a true tri bike and less stable. The reason you will be higher is because of your bio-mechanics. A road bike has a "slacker" seat-tube angle than a tri bike, so you need to keep your hip and hamstring range of motion in mind when setting up. You will not be faster if you are aero-dynamic, but not able to produce efficient power.

Make sure you get a very adjustable clip on aero bar for road bike purposes so you can adjust it as necessary.

I hope this helps a few of you. If you have any questions at all, just post em up. Believe me, I have practice answering them!

2011-06-07 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3533096

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: RE: Tri Bike and Road Bike Differences Explained

what clip ons would you recommend?

What about getting a seatpost that puts the seat farther forward?

I ask because I just bought a Felt AR4 (not ready for a pure TT bike yet) and was wanting to put aerobars on it for doing tris

2011-06-09 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3537961

User image

Sylvan Lake 1 mile N of Bloomfield Hills
Subject: RE: Tri Bike and Road Bike Differences Explained
Grungir - 2011-06-07 9:16 PM

what clip ons would you recommend?

What about getting a seatpost that puts the seat farther forward?

I ask because I just bought a Felt AR4 (not ready for a pure TT bike yet) and was wanting to put aerobars on it for doing tris

The Profile T1+ or the T2+ are very adjustable for a road bike. You can adjust the pads fore and aft, the extensions fore and aft and they come with spacers. They would be a good choice to clip and go. 

Chad

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike and Road Bike Differences Explained Rss Feed