General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Bear Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Black Bear Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Beltzville, Pennsylvania
United States
CGI Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 58m 30s
Overall Rank = 206/359
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 31/47
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 4:30 because we were staying half an hour from the event. Had a muffin, cliff bar and cup of coffee. More than usual but no problems since my wave didn't go until after 8.
Event warmup:

I usually don't warm up which I know is bad but I didn't want to break routine. I think I'm going to have to start with swim warm up next time.
Swim
  • 29m 32s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off in the back of my wave but quickly got into the middle of it. I intentionally wanted to experience contact to get me used to the 3,000 swimmer start at Ironman Lake Placid coming up next month. I got what I wanted but it wasn't bad at all. Some guy actually pushed me aside as he tried to pass in between me and the guy to my right. About 5 minutes into the swim I started freaking out for no reason. "this sucks, how the hell am I going to do Placid?" starting go through my mind. I kept doing a systems check over and over...am I out of breath, no, does anything hurt, no, am I scared of being in the deep dark lake, no...then there is nothing wrong, keep going. When we got to the first turn just over 1/2 way through I finally started feeling better and got into a good rhythm with no traffic at all. Still saw several yellow caps in the water behind me when I got out so I felt good about the time. For some reason my watch read 18 minutes which I new was wrong but boy did that feel good seeing that.
What would you do differently?:

I'm happy with the time but its pretty close to what I get in the pool. Wetsuit plus race energy should have made me go faster. I should have started closer to the front and should have relaxed from the get go. Need to try and warm up for 10 minutes next time, maybe that will make a difference.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

This was better than last time but still far from perfect. After I ran out of the bike area I realized that I didn't have my glasses. Instead of leaving the bike and running back for them I took the bike with me and started looking down to see where I might have dropped them. Turns out they were all the way back at my spot. I left my shoes in the clips. Getting in the shoes was easy but getting them buckled on the go was hard. This is my own fault, I know this from practice but didn't have time to buy race shoes. It took at least 1/2 a mile before I was buckled in good.

Put glasses on top of helmet not below and buy race shoes!!!
Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 24 miles
  • 16.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I came up early on Saturday just so I can spend a couple of hours leisurely riding the course to check it out. After I picked up my packet it started to drizzle and I wimped out and drove it instead. OMG is all I have to say. Just driving it scared me silly. I've only done several tri's and this is the hilliest yet. Worse than Columbia MD for reference. I think there was 2,000 feet of ascent. I barely managed to average 16 MPH and that's only thanks to some crazy downhills where I got up to 40 MPH without pedaling. There are several tight turns that come up after downhills. The volunteers were great in letting you know whats coming up but I still managed to lock up my rear break on one of them. This was incredibly challenging but rewarding at the same time. Worse part was at mile 22 approx. Last mile or two weren't hilly at all and my mind is already on the run thinking the worse of the bike is over and there is a surprise right onto a 15% incline for about 100-150 yards. Supper quick shift got me going but was almost hit by someone who wasn't able to shift fast enough, slowed to stand still and almost fell off into me. At least he was apologetic.

I could have gone harder on the flats and some of the less steep hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 53s
Run
  • 52m 46s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Stomach starting cramping up in the beginning. Took about a mile to get comfortable. Thankfully almost no hills at all. On the 2nd loop got passed by someone running a 7 min/mile and stayed with him for about a mile and a half. That felt really good.

I should have stayed with the fast guy longer. I let 3 people get in front of me in the last .2 miles. I'm not really racing for placement but hey 3 spots is 3 spots. I shouldn't have given them up without at least an effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza & Mountain Dew

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Doing hills on the bike

Event comments:

Great event but I was surprised there was fan support anywhere on the bike course. With all these crazy hills and 3 intense climbs you would think there would be some locals cheering you on. Zero. I would do this again. Very challenging and rewarding event.

Last updated: 2011-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:32 | 1500 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 191/359
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:30:00 | 24 miles | 16.00 mile/hr
Overall: 197/359
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: HILLS HILLS HILLS HILLS
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:46 | 06.2 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 0/359
Performance:
Course: Very trail-like run. Fields and woods and out over a portion of the dam. Very scenic. 2 x 5k loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-06 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: Black Bear Triathlon - Olympic Course

2011-06-06 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3535478

User image

Regular
York
Subject: RE: Black Bear Triathlon - Olympic Course

Great job on the race. Yea, this bike course is the best if you can get a few openings on those downhills..

Dont worry about the Placid swim. Everything about the IM swim, from my experience, is that the whole pace and aggression is MUCH less than these things. I did IMLP last year with never winded and was relaxed. (1:30 because i was afraid of the distance but my 2nd lap was 40 minutes and i was cruising and breating every 4th stroke)

Yesterday in this race, i was battling, had my goggles knocked off....(twice..lol!), and was completely screwed for the first half with no open water to find. What the hell, it was fun. Some swims just seem like the start of a mile running race and IMLP seemed like the start of a marathon... (and hey,,,i swam 32 minutes in this thing and am doing the 4.4 mile Chesapeake swim next week..lol

Good luck in Placid and have a great time. You'll have no problem with that swim..  The RUN on the other hand.......LOL

2011-06-06 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3535858

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: RE: Black Bear Triathlon - Olympic Course
Thanks !!! I'm getting conflicting reports on the IMLP swim start. I sure hope it's exactly like you describe vs the human washing machine I've heard about. Goggles off twice!?! Wow .... Great job recovering from that!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Bear Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed