General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first tri in two weeks-swimming and biking strategy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-12 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: My first tri in two weeks-swimming and biking strategy

Hi,

I'm doing my first tri in two weeks. I will be competing ( with myslef lol) in an Olympic distance tri in Philadelphia.  Since I do not have any athletic background my goal is just to finish it, have fun, and learn how to pace myself.  I started running a few years ago, and I started learning  free style in December. When I was in high school and in college, I biked a lot and swam in the ocean, but I swam with breaststoke and on my back.       I would be happy if I can finish the tri in 4 hours ( 1h for a swim, 3 hours for biking, running and transition.)  I know I'm a turtle.

Anyway I have two questions. One is about swimming.  I have been preparing for this tri since December , I have had  two coached 1 hour swim practices a week. It helped me  a lot, but my technique is still not pefect and swimming in free style  makes me tired pretty qucikly.        I recentely took one hour private  swim lesson. It was really great. It took me from doing 100 yards in 2. 40 seconds to 2.10.  No one had told me in the past  that I needed to keep my tights together during the swim.  I have scheduled two more private lessons in the next week, but I'm not sure if I can improve in sucha  short period of time.

I noticed that when I do breaststroke I can swim 100 yards in 2, 2. 10 min. Since breaststroke does not make me really tired, I can really do it with the most ease ,should I use this style during my tri? I realize that a  breaststroke is not a "group -friendly" stroke , but I was planning to stay away from people as far as possible and start swimming 5 minutes after everybody leaves. I do not want to be kicked in my face.

The second question is about biking, which  is my best sport. How should I pace myself. I can go really fast on my bike 17-19 miles, and feel fine during the ride. It is a hybrid and I do not wear clippers. The problem is that as soon as I stop riding,  I start feeling exhausted and have no gas left for a run.  Should I go by my heart rate? If yes, what zone should I stay in during the ride? 

Thank you for you advise.

Edited by slonce5 2011-06-12 11:53 AM

2011-06-12 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3544637

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: My first tri in two weeks-swimming and biking strategy

I have one more question about biking. I have heard about brick legs. I have never experienced them. I'm not looking for any additional pain or obstacles, but maybe I was not training hard enough or was doing something wrong?

In the past,  my personal trainer has made me do many legs exercises with heavy weights , so maybe my muscles are just really strong?          For example  I used to do leg press exercise with  115=135 pounds on each side. I also exercised on hip abductor/ adductor machine with 170 pound weight.

What do you guys think?

Edited by slonce5 2011-06-12 11:52 AM
2011-06-12 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3544637

User image

Master
Houston

For the swim most Tri's (I've seen) go in waves.  The waves will be 3-5 minutes apart, so if you wait 5 minutes you will be smack in the middle of the next wave starting time.

You can put yourself at the back of the pack and should be able to avoid most of the washing machine.  I would probably do a mix of strokes,  Start out with the crawl and just take your time, and be sure to breathe out in the water.  Swap to the breast stroke if you have problems siting, or feel yourself getting worn out.

Since swiming is as much about form as fitness lessons can show improvement quickly.  More time to practice the better, but a few pointers may help between now and the race.

Assuming this is a OWS try try try to get in the open water between now and race day.  It is a very different experience and many people need a couple of openwater practices first.  In Philly it may be wetsuit legal... if it is you will want to swim in the wetsuit prior to the race if at all possible.

Have you been doing any brick workouts?  Go ride 10 miles, then run 3 and see how your legs feel.  My legs sometimes feel a bit akward coming off the bike, but not being a runner I don't notice it as much as my wife, who has run for her whole life, does. 

2011-06-12 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3544728

User image

Veteran
NewClydesdale - 2011-06-12 2:03 PM

Since swiming is as much about form as fitness lessons can show improvement quickly.  More time to practice the better, but a few pointers may help between now and the race.

Assuming this is a OWS try try try to get in the open water between now and race day.  It is a very different experience and many people need a couple of openwater practices first.  In Philly it may be wetsuit legal... if it is you will want to swim in the wetsuit prior to the race if at all possible.

I just got a wetsuit and I'm planning to swim ar least 5 times in it before the race.

Have you been doing any brick workouts?  Go ride 10 miles, then run 3 and see how your legs feel.  My legs sometimes feel a bit akward coming off the bike, but not being a runner I don't notice it as much as my wife, who has run for her whole life, does. 

Yes I have doing 20-23 mile bike rides with 2-3 mile runs after. My legs feltl fine, but sometimes I fell that I have no energy. I doubt that it's related to nutrition because I eat breakfast before a bike ride and gels during the ride.

Edited by slonce5 2011-06-12 3:21 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first tri in two weeks-swimming and biking strategy Rss Feed