General Discussion Triathlon Talk » so I "joined the club" in my race today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-12 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: so I "joined the club" in my race today

Not the first time I've wrecked my bike, just the first time in a race.

I was racing the Redondo Beach Tri today and had some trouble at the dismount line.  Embarassed

So, I'm slowing down and unclip my right foot.  No problems so far.  Then I guess I had a tough time getting my left foot out, but don't know what happened.  The next thing I knew, My helmet and nose were hitting the ground and my bike was somewhere in front of me. 

I got up, picked up my bike and ran into transition.  All the vols asked if I was OK.  I said I was fine, but I wasn't really sure yet.  My nose really hurt and both knees were sore.  I took off my helmet and changed shoes.  Then, grabbed my small hand towel and gently wiped the outside of my nose.  A little bit of blood, but it wasn't dripping.  I decided to finish the race.  About 2/3 of the way through the run, I took off my sunglasses and started getting lots of wide eyed looks from the spectators.  (later I realized the nose pad of my glasses cut the side of my nose)  One volunteer smiled at me and yelled, "It's not fun if you're not bleeding!"

After I crossed the finish line, I got a bottle of water and just started to walk toward transition.  The race director (also my neighbor) saw me and freaked out.  He made me go to medical and kept saying he thought I broke my nose. 

I'm going to buy this finisher photo I think.  I think I'll have a really bloody face and blood dripping down both legs.  I can't wait for brightroom to get these photos up. 

Sorry this got so long.  I'll probably cut and paste most of this into my race report later. 

2011-06-12 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3545037

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: so I "joined the club" in my race today
ouch, sorry to hear about the crash but it seems like you've got the right attitude about it.  thumbs up on persevering and the finish
2011-06-12 10:52 PM

Way to persevere through the race. 

I had a similar situation:

I stubbed my toe on a crack during a run and skidded across the ground.  Road rash on my shoulder, left elbow and both knees.  Most people thought I crashed my bike.  Alot of surprise when I tell people it happened during the run.

2011-06-13 12:30 AM

User image

Washington

I fell off my bike today on a training ride haha. I am just starting to use clip-ins and bike shoes and my right foot failed to get off the bike. I ended up falling to the right but managed to slip my foot out in time to save myself from eating cement. Oh well, it happens to everyone at some point. 

Good job getting past this incident and finishing the race. 

2011-06-13 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
You realize that you are required to post the finish line photo here, right?
2011-06-13 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3545586

User image

Regular
Southern Maryland

ponyup - 2011-06-13 7:15 AM You realize that you are required to post the finish line photo here, right?

Exactly... Photo or it didn't happen.

2011-06-13 8:48 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Sounds like a photo to remember.

And that you want to buy it says you have the right attitude.

2011-06-13 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3545680

User image

Veteran
Beafly - 2011-06-13 6:02 AM

ponyup - 2011-06-13 7:15 AM You realize that you are required to post the finish line photo here, right?

Exactly... Photo or it didn't happen.

I'm just waiting for brightroom to put them up.  However, I have this strange feeling the photo won't be quite as spectacular as I am hoping it is.  I'll post as soon as I get it.  Tongue out

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » so I "joined the club" in my race today Rss Feed