General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Veering to the left on the swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-13 11:47 AM

Subject: Veering to the left on the swim

I am a self taught sub par swimmer.  Just for fun, this morning during my swim session I tried swimming with my eyes closed to determine how my line was.  I knew it was not going to be straight but I was shoked at just how not straight it was.  I have a severe problem veering to the left.  Obviously there is a muscle/technique imbalance at play, not surprising as I only breathe to one side, but what type of imbalance casues me to veer to the left?  Perhaps a stupid question but is it that my catch and pull is stronger on my left side than my right and that causes me to veer to the left?  I breathe to the right side and always considered my right hand catch and pull superior to the left, so I am having a hard time grasping how my left side has a stronger pull.  Finally, what is the best way to fix this problem?  Technically I have few issues breathing bi-laterally, but I can't  get enough air to breathe every third stroke for any significant distance and switch to breathing every second stroke.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

2011-06-13 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3546301

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Veering to the left on the swim
Are you using your left arm/hand to support yourself when you breathe?
2011-06-13 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3546392

I don't think so.  I typically take a breathe while my left arm is extended straight ahead and keep one goggle in the water when I turn my head.
2011-06-13 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3546301

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
What I find is that people tend to veer when they are crossing of their midline. So if you are veering to the left, you probably crossing over your midline with your right arm.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Veering to the left on the swim Rss Feed