Norther Michigan Cycling Club
53F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 28m
Overall Rank = 51/145
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/20
Pre-race routine:

Listened to the rain and said "do you really want to do this"?
Event warmup:

Water, coffee, and constant weather checking. Should have stretched a LOT more, but was eager to get on the road after a 90 minute rain delay.
Bike
  • 5h 12m
  • 68 miles
  • 13.08 mile/hr
Comments:

With the rain coming down in buckets at 6 am, the 7 am start was pushed back to 8. Good call! My group hit the start line at 8:30 and it was lightly misting. We knocked out the first 20 miles no problem, where we stopped at the first rest stop. The rest stops were manned by some of the nicest volunteers I have encountered! At the first stop I had homemade bread with homemade peanut butter! Local law enforcement was also out, and were quick to deal with a couple rowdy drivers encountered at rest area #1.

I had originally signed up for the 160K, but at rest stop number two, our group collectively decided to just do the 100K due to weather. With everyone being wet, the temps in the low 50's, and a slight breeze, it sometimes bordered on miserable. Luckily, the many hills quickly brought one's core temp back up whenever we stopped! The 100K course has us climbing 4600 feet, so still not a slacker ride. This was a good call, because I did not have enough time in the saddle to have completed the 160k without running out of gas or hurting myself.

The last rest stop was a quickie, because we were all tired but the end was a mere 10 miles away. Of course, "The Wall", the most challenging hill on the main course awaited us just 3 miles after the rest stop. The Wall is 2.75 miles of gradual climb, just enough to tire you out, and then a approximately a quarter mile of seemingly straight up climb! Add in some curves to the end of this hill, and it is quite the sight. You know you are almost to the top when you start seeing people walking their bikes up the hill. I am proud to say all of my group pedaled all the way to the top! I also have to say that one of the family members spectating at "The Wall" pointed out my quads were twitching for a minute or so after hitting the top. Rest of the ride was a roller-coaster and fast ride to the finish. Good times.
What would you do differently?:

Train more ahead of time. Not wuss out on the training just because the weather wasn't as warm as I wanted.
Post race
Warm down:

Beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Need to work on hill climbing. I was probably the slowest in our group for getting up the hills, but I also never stopped pedaling even on the downhills. I seemed to be strong on the downs and flats, and weak on the uphills.

Event comments:

Awesome fun time. I was out to have fun, not to race for a place. I met some really cool people, saw some awesome places I have never been before in Northern Michigan, and simply had a fun time. Next year, thought, I really want to do the full 160k or even 200k.

Last updated: 2011-04-20 12:00 AM
Biking
05:12:00 | 68 miles | 13.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/145
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Lots of hills. Rain from early in the day made riding in a pace line unpleasant, so not much of this.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-13 4:40 PM

User image

Lansing, Michigan
Subject: Michigan Mountain Mayhem

2011-06-14 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3547055

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Michigan Mountain Mayhem
Congrats on a solid day! Sounds like a great time for you and your group even with the cool, wet conditions.

Definitely looking forward to doing this one next year. See you out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Michigan Mountain Mayhem Rss Feed