Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2005-08-31 7:20 PM
in reply to: #237910

User image

Veteran
Draper, Utah
Subject: RE: This pi##es me off!
I had a similar experience. After my first sprint, for which I trained (hard) for months, and in which I busted my a-- the whole time, I was approached by a fat guy in my church the next day who asked about the tri. After telling him about it, he said "Oh, that sounds easy. I could do that." I responded that the point wasn't just to finish, but to finish quickly. I'm sure that my fat, clueless friend could have finshed the sprint eventually, and hopefully before the post-race activities were completed. I hope he actually tries to compete someday, so he can experience it for himself.
However, most people I have talked to are not so self-invovled and actually think it's quite an accomplishment to complete a sprint tri.

2005-08-31 7:30 PM
in reply to: #238023

User image

Veteran
Draper, Utah
Just tell your father that all that training is going to keep you alive longer so your children (and grandchildren) will have you around for far longer than the average couch-potatoes' kids will.

(This was a response to the father who told his son to quit messing aroudn with triathlons)

Edited by pbarlowtri 2005-08-31 7:32 PM
2005-08-31 8:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
I'm still trying to convince myself that it's "not too bad" since I've been training my butt off since before I can remember. I told a co-worker who alos works out at my gym that the other night I ran to the gym (instead of driving the 1.5 miles), worked out, then ran home. His response was "seems like a bit of an overkill". That, coming from a former marine....
2005-09-01 9:43 AM
in reply to: #238570

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
What really gets to me is the people who drive 1.5 miles then jump on the treadmill at the fitness center!! What's the deal with that? Seems like a waste of gas and time.
2005-09-01 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Wichita, KS
Love that phrase "jackasses of the masses"...man, can use that for everything!

About to do my first tri, haven't had anyone shrug it off yet. I'm sure it would get under my skin, though. Reminds me of running in high school, where I did the 800m in track. Everyone would say "half a mile? Doesn't sound that bad." They don't tell Michael Johnson that the 100m is a breeze, do they?

Completely agree with y'all: it's not distance, it's what you put into the distance that makes it tough.

And uberbeginner: congrats on being in the paper! Can bet you'll hold onto that clipping!

Edited by goodzen 2005-09-01 10:37 AM
2005-09-01 10:49 AM

Elk Grove, CA
Yeah, I am up at 5 AM every morning swimming, running, or riding. This is not easy. But most people don't realize just how challenging it is...after all the guys (and gals) on TV make it look so easy. (they say as they sit on the couch drinking beer and eating cheetos)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » This pi##es me off! Rss Feed  

of 3