General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Abilene, TX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-25 2:34 PM

User image

Abilene
Subject: Training in Abilene, TX

Hi! This year I am training for my second triathlon ever, so still very much a newbie  though already addicted like most!  Last year I lived and trained in around Cochrane, Alberta, Canada (think Rocky Mountains).  This year we live in Abilene, Texas.  Anyone else out there from Abilene? Not sure there is much of a tri community here...

I am looking for suggestions for local ride routes, and maybe someone to hook up with for rides and the odd training session.

Thanks!

Jenn

2011-06-27 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3566995

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Training in Abilene, TX

I'm not from Abilene, but my wife grew up there.  And when we head out to visit her family, I usually bring my bike.  There is a bike shop on Buffalo Gap Rd on the south side of town that might be able to give you some information.

But I enjoy riding out to Buffalo Gap on FM89 and Hwy 277.  Also FM707 out to Tye on the outskirts of Dyess AFB is a nice ride with a smooth surface.

2011-06-27 1:34 PM

User image

Abilene
Thank you for the suggested routes!  I am very close to that particular bike shop so I will stop in and ask them.
2011-06-27 7:08 PM

User image

Regular
Eldorado, Texas

Not sure when your next tri is but there is one in 2 weeks in San Angelo which is an hour and 15 minutes S of Abilene. 400m/10mile/2mile. This will be my first tri. I know I really didn't answer your original question but gave you a fun option none the less.

http://www.roadlizards.org/ has the info on the left hand side.

2011-06-28 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3570061

User image

Abilene

Thanks for the heads up! We used to live in San Angelo, so I know exactly where this is being held.  Maybe I could consider it a training day??

Good luck at your first tri, I am sure you will love the experience!!

2011-06-28 8:53 PM

User image

Regular
Eldorado, Texas
I figure I will probably like it. I am getting excited and more nervous the closer it gets.

2011-06-29 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Someone in Abilene! Sorry, I am just now seeing this. As my husband said, I grew up there (before I started biking, etc.) and we periodically make the trip back to visit my family. I don't know much about the new little shop on FM 89 that he speaks of, we've seen it, but never been in. I think BikeTown on South 1st may be a better option. It's been there for years and helps put on many events. I know you can also find out about the Abilene Bicycle Club there as well for people to ride with. I've never ridden with them before, but we sometimes see a group leaving from the old Lack's parking lot on FM 89. Since my parents live in Buffalo Gap, we typically hang around the south side of town for riding, but I know that people ride up by Lake Ft. Phantom north of town too. If your into mountain biking, the bike club there has a great mountain bike trail near the lake. You have to be a member and then you get a code to the lock. I did some trail running out there one time. I think it's around 11 miles total of trails and it's very well marked.

You might also check out the upcoming Tour de Gap on July 23rd! I've ridden in it a couple of times and it's a fun event. http://tourdegap.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/tour-de-gap-2011/

Anyway, let me know if you have anymore questions about Abilene!

Gina
2011-07-01 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran

A fellow Abilenean!!!  There are a few of us triathletes around, but not many.  There are NO events in town as there's not a good place to swim.  In the past, ACU has had a sprint in October in their pool and around the campus (no word on it yet this year).  The two bike shops are your best bet for getting to know riders:

VT Bike stuff: vtbikestuff.com
Bike Town (now moved to Industrial on south side): biketown.com

You could also check out the runner's club: www.abilenerunners.com for other events, contacts and info.

Good luck and have fun!  Be careful when you ride out there, we don't have the most bike-friendly roads.

2011-07-01 2:21 PM

User image

Abilene

Thank you Gina & ? cbh!  I'm picking out a new bike at Biketown this week actually, so I'm sure I'll get acquainted with the people there very quickly.  I'd love to have a group to ride with, so hopefully they can hook me up there as well!

I know it's a drive, but I've done some jet ski and boating stuff at the Colorado City state park and it's one of the nicest lakes I've seen in this area (coming from a girl raised in the Rockies, where lakes are crystal clean but freezing cold!)

I am not a hard core cyclist, so I have never entered into just a cycling event. Maybe Tour de Gap can be my first!

Thanks so much for the feedback! Maybe we can change the tri culture of this windy city!!

2011-07-01 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3572019

User image

Abilene

jon-m - 2011-06-28 7:53 PM I figure I will probably like it. I am getting excited and more nervous the closer it gets.

Guess what?! I registered today! So I'm sure I will see you there, seems like a pretty small event.

You'll do great! I'm racing with a friend and it's her first race as well.

Congrats! You're about to become an official triathlete!

2011-07-01 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
if you're talking about lake nasworthy, it's a great event (as long as you don't mind low key).  it's incredible value for the $.  i usually do it every year cause its cheap, fun and fast!  i won't be able to make it this year.  enjoy!

2011-07-01 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
I saw this race on Aug. 7th: http://www.hearttri.com/TRI_FROM_THE_HEART/Home.htmland thought about using it as an excuse to visit my family, but they are going to be on vacation that weekend. Brady is pretty close to Abilene as well.

And of course, there is always the IRP Wool Capital Olympic Triathlon on August 14th in San Angelo.
2011-07-01 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3577328

User image

Abilene

cbh - 2011-07-01 1:53 PM if you're talking about lake nasworthy, it's a great event (as long as you don't mind low key).  it's incredible value for the $.  i usually do it every year cause its cheap, fun and fast!  i won't be able to make it this year.  enjoy!

Yes, we are referring to Lake Nasworthy tri.  I agree completely, it may be simple and short but for the price it's a great "warm-up" race to get me back in racing mode!

Gina - I'd consider the Oly in San Angelo but I've never done and Oly!  I have a race in DFW in September so I don't want to throw it by doing a bigger distance in August.  I also don't really love the idea of swimming in the Concho. It does not look clean at all!

Will consider the Brady race as it is very close to my in-laws.  Y'all are awesome! Keep tri'ing!!

2011-07-03 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran

Wool Cap is an awesome event, as are all Ironhead events IMO.  it's friggin hot out here in August though.  i raced this one a couple years ago and the heat on the run ate my lunch.  the run path is referred to as the "road to hell" and it deserves its name.  hot and sandy!  but, its a great event and usually had some good competition since its a qualifier.

jenn, what event are you doing in DFW in sept?  i've racing the playtri stonebridge.

2011-07-03 10:44 PM

User image

Abilene

Sounds great! I am doing the Prairie Man Sprint in Grande Prairie, September 11.  They have a long course the same day I believe.  I chose it based on the previous race reports and that date worked for me.  Hope it all turns out well!

I see that you've done the Marathon for Miracles.  Was that in Abilene? I am signing up for my first 1/2 for that race in November. Excited and scared to death all at the same time!

Edited by burnettbunch 2011-07-03 10:55 PM
2011-07-05 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran

yes, I did the half at Marathon for Miracles here in abilene last year.  read my race report for my opinion on the race.  not sure if i'll do it again this year or not because of scheduling.

good luck at Prairie Man!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Abilene, TX Rss Feed