General Discussion Race Reports! » Speedy Feet Wednesday Night Tri Series - Race #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Speedy Feet Wednesday Night Tri Series - Race #3 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
Speedy Feet Racing
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got lost on the way there, so by the time I got there I only had about 10 minutes to set up. Once there I headed to get my chip and the guy asked me if I had my USAT card (crap). I had to run to transition to get my keys, run to the car for cash and run back. After this I frantically put on my wetsuit, ran to the water to pee, and then the race was starting.
Swim
  • 16m 39s
  • 880 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

TT running start from the beach. From the start of the run to the water my right leg was already starting to hurt. This was my first race with an outdoor swim, and it went surprisingly well. I sighted a LOT, which I'm sure slowed me down quite a bit, but I stayed on course, which has been my biggest problem in OWS so far. I didn't go all that hard, just focused on keeping my form good, and saving my energy for the bike.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

The run to T1 was pretty far, which doesn't explain why I have a slow swim time AND a slow T1. Maybe I stopped and took a rest? The wetsuit stuck on my feet a bit, but it was good practice getting it off quickly. Of course, since I was rushed before the race I didn't even pay attention to what gear my bike was in...the second hardest gear on the thing. Needless to say it was fun trying to get that rolling up a slight incline with my feet on top of my shoes. ooooops.
What would you do differently?:

Have my bike in an easier gear so I can spin away :)
Bike
  • 1h 20m 52s
  • 21 miles
  • 15.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Actual bike computer data:
Time- 01:20:52
Pace- 22.18MPH
Dist- 29.9 miles

If you look at the above numbers you will notice something interesting... I somehow managed to go almost 9 extra miles on the bike. Once I got out of the park there were 4 people out in front of me that I could see, I realed them in and hung with them for awhile. THen we started to see people going the opposite way, up the hill that we were coming down. THey told us to turn around. After debating it, we listened. Back we go. About 10 minutes later or so and a few unmarked turns, I began starting to see other people on their bikes. THis was pretty refreshing. I passed through them, but U made sure that I always left at least 1 person in front of me so I had a better chance of not getting lost again....but I still did. Went right on what was supposed to be a left. Pace booty failed me again. I have to stop following attractive girls on bikes, it doesn't seem to work out so well. We turned around and this was the last time I had to turn around...but I think that it's safe to say that I was lost the entire time that I was on the bike.

The course wasn't posted online, and wasn't posted well onsite either. THis lead to me wondering around town in an aero helmet (fun, but not ideal). I relied on others to show me the way, and that didn't work out so well. My goal was to average 22MPH on the bike, and I did that (not according to the race) but from my actual ride data. Very happy with the ride, about half way through I started laughing about the whole situation.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Went in the wrong row. Had to shimmy between the end of transition and a rack of bikes. Talked to the parents a bit. They thought I had gotten a flat, and wondered what the heck happened. We shared a laugh and I was on my way.

I've worn the same running shoes for both of my races. Both times I jam my feet in my insoles get moved around and aren't the most confortable. I have bilsters and cuts to prove it. I'm contemplating gluing them down.
Run
  • 29m 20s
  • 3.6 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was faster than I thought it was. I think the distance is a little long. I'll have to check my garmin, but I think it was more like 3.2 miles. After pushing so hard on the bike I knew that I would be running pretty slowly on the run.

I need to get better at pushing during the run. THere is no reason I should be this slow over a short distance. I'll work on it :)
Post race
Warm down:

15 minute massage, with the lady telling me how tight the right side of my body is from my back down, while eating a cookie and sipping a coke through a straw through the face hole in the massage bed. Not a bad way to end a race. She was telling me that other people had come through and were pissed about missing a turn on the bike. Take a chill pill people, life is too short.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I went exploring on the bike ride.

Event comments:

Good learning race. I look at it like this. I got great experience racing in the open water, and I got one heck of a good brick (22mph+ on the bike, followed by a hard run). A success in my book.

Last updated: 2011-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:39 | 880 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:20:52 | 21 miles | 15.58 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: I honestly could not tell you the course, because side from the first and last miles, I'm not sure if I was on it.
Road:   Cadence: 97
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:20 | 03.6 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2011-06-30 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Speedy Feet Wednesday Night Tri Series - Race #3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Speedy Feet Wednesday Night Tri Series - Race #3 Rss Feed