General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ironman> gimmie a peek Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-05 11:19 AM

User image

corpus christi area
Subject: ironman> gimmie a peek
any athena/clydes out there that have done "ironman"  just seems like the impossible.  if so please share some of the highs and lows you had.  im all ears think i would like to add to the ol bucketlist? 

2011-07-05 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3581205

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: ironman> gimmie a peek

All Highs   I felt sick for a little bit on the run, but it wasnt too bad.  There were not that many bigger girls at the IM distance.  I did notice that.  Anywho, read my race report if you want (link to it under my race log below

I can't wait to get to do another one

2011-07-05 12:42 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Have you done a Tri of any length yet??  If not, i would recommend trying a shorter distance first, then move up from there.

If you have done others and IM is all that is left, then by all means start training and do it.

Everyone's experiences will be different, and personally, i have not done, nor will i ever do a full IM.  I have done 2 half iron races and they were hard enough on me between the run training and time commitment that i have no desire to train for a longer race. Each person is different, just make sure you enjoy the ride and train properly, it makes such a significant difference in the experience.

Good luck in your quest!!

2011-07-05 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3581318

User image

corpus christi area
Daffodil - 2011-07-05 12:06 PM

All Highs   I felt sick for a little bit on the run, but it wasnt too bad.  There were not that many bigger girls at the IM distance.  I did notice that.  Anywho, read my race report if you want (link to it under my race log below

read the race report, congrats very good read.

@ rudedog, no i have not currently out with a torn menicus.  was going to do my first sprint this aug.  but i do enjoy reading the stories of people who were prob. like myself and never thought they would be able to do them.  i do plan on doing the steps sprint, oly, him and im(maybe). 

2011-07-05 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3581569

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
brosemail - 2011-07-05 3:02 PM
Daffodil - 2011-07-05 12:06 PM

read the race report, congrats very good read.

@ rudedog, no i have not currently out with a torn menicus.  was going to do my first sprint this aug.  but i do enjoy reading the stories of people who were prob. like myself and never thought they would be able to do them.  i do plan on doing the steps sprint, oly, him and im(maybe). 

Awesome, then feel free to check out some of my earlier reports. I started with a micro sprint, and moved up the following year to 3 longer distances. Each has its own nuances, and are enjoyable in different ways. I know all about the injury thing, i have battled running injuries since before my first tri, and only recently, 3 years later, been able to get any significant run training injury free. I only asked about other Tri's cause i know as soon as i started training for my Halves, i had realized i would never want to do an IM, solely because of the run.  I hope you heal up well, and continue on the path to fulfilling the dream!!

2011-07-05 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

I did Ironman Arizona in 2009.  You can see my finisher picture here:

<----------

In a nutshell, it was one of the greatest days of my life, and I don't know how I could have gotten more out of the experience of preparing for it and executing it.  I had been through a couple of full seasons and had completed an HIM before I felt comfortable signing up. 

Here is a link to my race report that provides some details.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=188461

2011-07-05 9:35 PM

New user
It is doable, but I would recommend a few tris under the belt before the big one. For me, the training leading up to the race was most important and trying with life balance. People say it doesn't have to consume your life, but I wasn't able to obtain that. If you have family, make sure they are informed and prepared for the journey. It took a lot of support emotionally, financially, and time. I respected the distance and followed a plan that prepared me. What keeps me from committing to a second IM right now is the training. As for the race, I was prepared. I remember reading, be prepared for those things you can control. And, be prepared to adjust or work through those things you can't control. For me, 55 degree water at IMCDA was out of my control, so was leg cramping during the swim. I didn't panic and worked through the issue. Had to change the race plan but I was still able to finish. This is where previous races help. Definitely follow a plan, either a coach, training group, or respected plan. Good luck with your goal. And as a final thought, after doing mine, I said I would never recommend anyone do one but I'd support anyone who chooses to take on the challenge. Good luck again.
2011-07-06 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3582292

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
jrondorf - 2011-07-05 7:35 PM It is doable, but I would recommend a few tris under the belt before the big one. For me, the training leading up to the race was most important and trying with life balance. People say it doesn't have to consume your life, but I wasn't able to obtain that. If you have family, make sure they are informed and prepared for the journey. It took a lot of support emotionally, financially, and time. I respected the distance and followed a plan that prepared me. What keeps me from committing to a second IM right now is the training. As for the race, I was prepared. I remember reading, be prepared for those things you can control. And, be prepared to adjust or work through those things you can't control. For me, 55 degree water at IMCDA was out of my control, so was leg cramping during the swim. I didn't panic and worked through the issue. Had to change the race plan but I was still able to finish. This is where previous races help. Definitely follow a plan, either a coach, training group, or respected plan. Good luck with your goal. And as a final thought, after doing mine, I said I would never recommend anyone do one but I'd support anyone who chooses to take on the challenge. Good luck again.

jrondorf makes some really good points here - I remember writing, when I was in the heavier part of my training plan - 'going 140.6 miles in a day is hard, but holding your life together while you prepare to do it is the real challenge.'
2011-07-06 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

I also agree with the other posters to do shorter distances first.

It is my honest opinion that nobody should consider doing an IM until they have completed a HIM distance race. You have to respect the distance and you can't really do that if you havne't done a HIM. Many people have done century rides and many have run marathons but putting it all together on one day with months of training ahead of time is a different story.

I have done a HIM distance race and that is how I know I won't do a full IM distance. The limiter is different for different people and for me that limiter is the bike. 112 miles is a LONG time and then to save enough to run a marathon after.... well.... it's a LONG day for a lot of people.

Can someone skip a HIM distance? Sure. Should they? I don't think so.

2011-07-06 1:58 PM

User image

corpus christi area

i agree with the last two poster, this year i did a half marathon, and know i will probably never do a marathon.  now i know this makes no sense if i want to one day consider a ironman.  but the storys and race reports are what sparks the drive for me at least. 

so yes i will start off slow, but never say never.  for now consider it just asking for reading material, while i recover.  so if you feel you have a good race report i would love to read it. 

2011-07-06 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3583424

User image

Expert
Any clyde/athena that does an ironman deserves much respect. I tried to do the same HIM two years in a row and did not make it to the start line because of run related injury. I am not even that big (around 225 and 6'0) but I have played sports all my life at that size and it has taken its toll on my knees, feet, and back. If you are fresh enough to train for it, you will know.  Good Luck!

2011-07-06 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3583424

User image

Expert
brosemail - 2011-07-06 2:58 PM

i agree with the last two poster, this year i did a half marathon, and know i will probably never do a marathon.  now i know this makes no sense if i want to one day consider a ironman.  but the storys and race reports are what sparks the drive for me at least. 

so yes i will start off slow, but never say never.  for now consider it just asking for reading material, while i recover.  so if you feel you have a good race report i would love to read it. 

I have done a marathon (in 2005) and an Ironman (2010).  I will never do another stand alone marathon, but woud do an IM every year if I had the money and time   My body doesn't like running 50 miles a week.

2011-07-06 7:22 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)

IMAZ 2010, 13:51 at 234 ponds.   7 days after I did IMAZ i signed up for IMCOZ.  

The experience is very different fo everybody,  I had a great time and was happy witht he results.  The hardest part was the second half of the marathon.  As a result of that,  I am working on my run this year.  I am actually more nervous about IMCOZ this year becasue I am not sure how my body will react to the tropical  heat and humidity

It is very posible if you put your mind to it and your family is on board.  I am lucky my wife is 100% behind me on this ventures

Good luck to you on whatever you decide to add to your bucket list

2011-07-06 11:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB

Did IM Canada at 275 lbs.  It's definitely a commitment but if you work at it you can do it. I would have to say that an IM is as much a mental race as it is physical. It's pretty funny because you will experience every emotion possible. Happy, sad, angry, dejected, elated... It's a real mind screw. Get some sugar you feel better, climb a hill want to die. But crossing that finish line is absolutely one of the most incredible feelings in the world.

Train right and become an IRONclyde!!!

2011-07-07 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I've started 3 and finished 2. My race reports are on my blog which is in my profile. I used to be extremely heavy and lost weight prior to undertaking the distance. I was still a 5'7 185lb female who finished the first 2 well within the time cutoffs I'd also never run a marathon before the IM nor would I.

Read my reports (2007 & 2008 IM CDA) and feel free to ask questions!
2011-07-07 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3584500

User image

corpus christi area

leopard8996 - 2011-07-07 9:18 AM I've started 3 and finished 2. My race reports are on my blog which is in my profile. I used to be extremely heavy and lost weight prior to undertaking the distance. I was still a 5'7 185lb female who finished the first 2 well within the time cutoffs I'd also never run a marathon before the IM nor would I. Read my reports (2007 & 2008 IM CDA) and feel free to ask questions!

nice read im 2008, im from south texas so the water surrounding us is pretty "perfect" temp.  so when i read reports like those from up north.  WOW.   again nice read.

2011-07-07 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3581732

Pike NH
I found this link today and just read your race report. Great read and very inspiring. At 63 yr. old 230 lb and new to triathlon I don't know whether I have the time left to train up to an IM, but its nice to dream. So far I'm doing this one day at a time. I did a sprint last week and will do another one this weekend and I'm having the time of my life. Thanks for the inspiration.
2011-07-07 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Another Clydesdale Ironman here. I used to weigh 371 pounds. I wanted to get down to my goal weight before doing my first IM a couple of weeks ago, but that didn't happen. So, I did it while about 70 pounds overweight anyway.

To sum it up in one word: AWESOME!!!!

Leopard8996 helped me out tremendously, and her race reports/logs are freaking awesome. Read them!

Up next for me: IM Florida 2012. (Hopefully, I won't be a Clydesdale by then, but who knows!? I'll do it either way!)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ironman> gimmie a peek Rss Feed