General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelhead 70.3 im Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-15 2:38 AM

Chicago
Subject: Steelhead 70.3 im

So ive decided to push my comfort zone and sign up for the steelhead half, and im totally freaked out.  Ive been doing as much training as i have time for, which is quite a bit. 

The question is, has anybody done this race?  Anybody have any pointers, suggestions, things to look out for?  Im fine on the swim, its just a swim, but what is the bike layout?  Any major climbs?  And how about the run. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks and i hope everyone is having an awesome season.

Michael

2011-07-15 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3597587

User image

Subject: RE: Steelhead 70.3 im
This is about the fastest bike course you will find outside of Florida.  It is completely flat and the roads are in really good shape with very few exceptions.  The last 10 miles is perfect road surface with only the slightest of incline.  I think I rode the entire race in a range of about 4 gears, maybe 3.  The run course is kind of crappy, but not horrible.  You run out to the Whirlpool campus where you do two loops basically of the campus plus a couple roads, then you run back.  There are a couple rolling hills on the "stick" part, and there is one huge hill coming off the campus that you do twice.  It's not a slow run course by any means, but it can be challenging, and it will likely be very hot out there.  The swim is AWESOME there, as you'll have the current with you no matter how it's moving.  The finish is the same every year, but based on current you could start north or south of the finish.  Clear water, usually cool but not cold.  Well run and well supported, other than sign in, which was a real zoo last year. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelhead 70.3 im Rss Feed