General Discussion Race Reports! » Folly Beach Splash -n- Dash Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Folly Beach Splash -n- Dash - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Charleston, South Carolina
United States
Setup Events
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 53m 57s
Overall Rank = 9/10
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30, since there is minimal setup required for this event. We decided to take the kids with us, so loaded them in the car and took off around 6:30. Arrived at Folly Beach and found parking right away - good sign! Noticed that it was a bit windier down in Folly... not such a good sign. I left the family and headed over to packet pickup and - holy cow - I have never seen surf like that! I was sure that the swim portion would be scratched. There were only 15 people participating, and of those, three groups of people doing relay. I definitely got the impression that the weather had kept people away.
Event warmup:

None really, just waiting around to find out whether we would be swimming or not, talking to the other participants. So, we did then get the word that we could swim. A bit later, the lifeguards got out the jetski to place the buoys so we could head out.
Swim
  • 17m 27s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

We started a good ways up north from the first buoy, since the current was so strong. As soon as we got in the water, it was obvious that starting that far up was necessary in order to even manage to round that buoy and not overshoot it! Oh my gosh, that was a serious current! I had my doubts, once I started swimming, that I would manage to round that buoy at all, and if I overshot it, there was no way I would try to swim back against the current. That would have been my first DNF. (I know one other lady that was swimming near me did turn back because it just felt too crazy out there for her. I talked to her afterward and she was fine, did the run and all, but just couldn't handle all the chop and current.)
But then I did catch sight of the buoy once I was past the breakers and was really surprised that I had not overshot. I checked with a lifeguard and he told me I was ok, so I just buckled down and got swimming. This was the easy part, the swimming down. I did have lots of trouble finding the individual buoys with the incredible chop out there, but I sited on the pier and on the beach and just made my way down. The final buoy had drifted, so I am sure I swam a bit too far and had to run back to transition.
What would you do differently?:

That's a hard question - better? I might not have even tried under those conditions, but I did, so I am pretty proud of myself for that. There is really nothing I can do but practice swimming, get faster and work on being more aggressive about getting through the breakers.
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

I decided to go without socks to avoid the trouble of putting them on my wet feet. We had a little kiddy pool to run through, but there was still enough sand on my feet to give me a nasty, painful spot on my instep! That was really a mistake!

Socks, socks, socks!!
Run
  • 36m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Worst run in ages. At first, my spirits were good and I was fine with being at the back of this small pack. As the people passed me on their return leg, I shouted encouragement and they did to me, too, so it was all fun. But, my knee was already hurting from step one, and I was just trying to ignore it and hope that when my legs warmed up, it would be fine. It really never stopped hurting. :-( And then, remember when I mentioned how windy it was? Well, that was the headwind we were running into on the way back up the beach. No fun! The icing on the cake during the last mile was the spots that I wore into my insteps from running with sandy feet and no socks. Dumb, I know! I could not wait to be back to the finish line.

Frankly, I probably should not have run any more when I noticed that my knee would not be getting better. But by then, it was halfway over. Definitely, socks would have helped.
Post race
Warm down:

None really, just got the shoes off and looked at my poor feet, talked to my family, collected my prize winnings! Seriously, even DFL got a prize in that small field. That was kind of sweet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) my knee
2) the wind

Event comments:

With more participants, this could be fun. I am not crazy about the running at high tide because there are a few areas where getting your feet wet is unavoidable. Some guys were running barefoot, and this would be an ideal barefoot run, I would think.
I would definitely do it again, depending on the condition of my knee.

Last updated: 2011-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:27 | 820 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 9/10
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: This was a straight line, 4 buoys and then back in before the Folly Beach pier.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time:  00:30
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Below average
Running
00:36:31 | 03.11 miles | 11m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 9/10
Performance: Below average
Course: South on Folly Beach to park and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes