General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which NYState park on Long Island is the best to train in ??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-24 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
Subject: Which NYState park on Long Island is the best to train in ???

I Was just curious which, if any, everybody likes best for training purposes ? I am in Ronkonkoma and looking to go to some of the state parks to do my training especially for the bike , i do have the empire passport...

I live closest to Heckscher, Connetquot, Sunken Meadow is not too far.. Thanks !!

2011-07-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3612039

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Which NYState park on Long Island is the best to train in ???
i find heckscher great for the bike...the loop is about 3.5 miles...i also  use it for the run
2011-07-25 8:21 AM

User image

Long Island

Massapequa preserve to bethpage state park is about 8 miles... its a really nice bike path.. I think its the longest path on LI.. you ride over bridges and pass lakes.. its very nice... at the end you get to bethpage state park where you can relax before heading back... the parkinglot there is a huge rectangle.. so sometimes if I want to add extra miles to my ride.. I just ride around the parkinglot a few times(about 2.5 times is a mile)... and then head back.

The trail starts on Merrick road in massapequa.. right across the street from all american.. that part is 1 mile...then you cross sunrise highway.. and continue about 7 miles to bethpage state park

2011-07-25 9:14 AM

User image

Regular
Bellport NY

Sunken Meadow By far!!! Hill training. You got to have hill training. You never know what you might encounter in you next race and hills could be there. just my thoughts???

Jim

(I WILL NEVER STOP TRI-ING)

2011-07-25 11:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida

Thanks for all your replies... I have never been to bethpage park, next monday the summer series is there so that will be a good time to check it out, just concerned if i can leave the all american burger and go ride !!Laughing

2011-07-26 6:21 PM

User image

Long Island
I cant wait for Bethpage.. its my fav! the race is not where the path is.. or the actual park.. when we go in the park is all the way to the right.. picnic tables, many MANY trail systems that spider out, playground,basketball,bathrooms and more.. unfortunatly we dont get to see all that.. but its still beautiful and you should check it out another day... as for biking... bethpage is where the trail ends... 8 miles of bike path leads into it... and its a nice reward!

2011-08-06 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida

the part of the bethpage bike trail i was able to see was really nice, i am going to go down there next week and go for a ride and see how it goes..I am planning on parking at the park and taking the path to sunrise highway and back, i am thinking that would be approx 14 miles or so... When i drove home i took bethpage parkway and was able to se some ppl on bikes, thanks for the info...

Very disappointed that they cancelled the awards ceremony at the summer series since i cannot make this Mondays race.. i dont think it even rained after we left but i am not sure since i headed out east, but i am sure the errored on the side of caution...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which NYState park on Long Island is the best to train in ??? Rss Feed